Water Dragons Of The Middle Kingdom

JasonJ

One factor to their ASW could be Chinese SOSUS that is probably being built, primarily between the various Chinese held features in the South China Sea. Probably harder for them to make SOSUS around Taiwan and towards Okinawa, which does highlight a strategic importance of keeping the Senkaku Islands out of their hands.

Some more here: http://gentleseas.blogspot.jp/2017/12/chineses-sosus-in-south-china-sea-on.html?m=1

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SOSUS is only as effective as noisy are the opponent subs, so Vietnamese Kilos and Taiwanese subs can be detected but the new AIP Japanese subs are a completely different proposition, and US SSNs are going to be difficult to make out. Back in the 80s, the Victor III and the Akula nearly put SOSUS out of business and the PRC lacks the intelligence to identify the discrete frequencies that need to be monitored agains silent subs, so it's not going to be a ton of help.

Hear the same in Jive Turkey's youtube streams, guy was a sonar man so he knows his stuff. Soviet/Russian boats of the latest generation started out pretty quiet but as time wore on, lack of maintenance made them more noisy so they weren't much of a challenge.

The Chinese are starting to field VDS, MPAs, and their own seabed hydrophone system. This is a great leap forward for them ASW wise (hah!), but they are still working against the fact that while it is their own back yard, it's been the 7th Fleet's home field for a half century before that. Can you imagine how the USN would feel if every time it did a shake down cruise it was effectively in foreign navy's primary AO? Nothing they do can happen without the fear of being monitored. Where as USN ships can safely operate on sonar ranges off FLA and CA and know that no one is listening to their exercises or sound measurements. So the PLAN has a number of difficulties:

They have no experience operating these new systems. They are pretty much making up the doctrine and training from scratch, or from Russian material.

They have no previous data tracking US or other opponent boats, since as recently as 10 years ago they were effectively ASW blind. They probably literally don't even know what a USN boat sounds like, as compared to the likelihood that the USN has individually tracked and made a library recording of most of their boats.

The US likely has a much superior understanding of the hydrodynamics of the area, having operated there for many decades before the PLAN came out to play. USN SURTASS vessels for instance have patrolled that area for a couple decades now; those are the vessels the Chinese pick a fight with every once and a while and try to steal the towed arrays from.

It's extremely likely that the US operates its own post-SOSUS detection system around, if not inside, the first island chain. This likely includes nonacoustic as well as acoustic sensors, along with acoustic modems that also allow the system to directly talk to submerged SSNs.

All in all, I'd hate to be a high priority PLAN surface target in a Sino-American war. If D/Es are a threat to US CVs, for Lioaning USN nuke boats are practically a death sentence.

Ooh, well found :D

I keep hearing stuff from ex-RAF people about the "scare" when Victor 3 appeared, and subsequent types.

They were fairly dismissive.

What wouldthe RAF know about a Victor III? I assume that was a typo for RN?

Ah, didn't realize that they were organized that way. In the US MPAs come under the Navy not the airforce, but I totally forgot RAF generally controlled everything going back to coastal command.

An LST...how quaint. Is there any supporting evidence that this is a rail gun? That seems like quite a great leap forward for a country that didn't have a modern navy 20 years ago. And it would take a lot of installed power in the cargo area to run one; the base engineering wouldn't do more than keep it warm.

An LST...how quaint. Is there any supporting evidence that this is a rail gun? That seems like quite a great leap forward for a country that didn't have a modern navy 20 years ago. And it would take a lot of installed power in the cargo area to run one; the base engineering wouldn't do more than keep it warm.

Just those pictures at the moment it seems. Sometimes it feels like China leaks new stuff like WarGaming does with WoT.

It is admittedly a big gun. Having never seen a rail gun installation, I can't say that doesn't look like one. However my bet is some kind of large caliber rapid fire conventional gun. It looks like there might be some kind of water cooling sleeve over the back half of the barrel.

Josh It is admittedly a big gun. Having never seen a rail gun installation, I can't say that doesn't look like one. However my bet is some kind of large caliber rapid fire conventional gun.

Is that thing on the ship or on the dock? Because if its on the ship, I'd bet it’s too far to the bow to be a heavy gun turret.