Water Dragons Of The Middle Kingdom

JasonJ

To start off, there's been some mention of a Type 52E destroyer since a number of months ago but the name seems to be spreading around a bit more this month. I think this is a video of a TV program and not some fan-made (but maybe still a touch of fan edits) with mention of the Type 52E. It's probably mostly based off of the Type 52D but uses some technologies from the Type 55 destroyer such as a new radar called model 383.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eoDzBjiUn8

Here is the text from the video:

曾经 052C/D就是我国最先进的军舰
看着那连欧洲最新战舰都不舍得用的4面大盾
我们感觉到了一个词豪华
曾经我们以为 如果航母编队里都是052C/D这样的"神盾"舰
未免太奢侈了些 干是我们觉得
我们似乎还应该有一款类似干052B那样的"通用"驱逐舰
来作为舰母编队的主力 但当052C/D开始大批量建造
当新一代的055型驱逐舰己经下水人们的思想变了
有人开始畅想我们是如此的"豪气"就应该大批量的建造055
然后作为舰母编队的主力 这个想法是否现实呢
以美军为参考的话 在其航母编队中
满载排水量9600吨的"提康德罗加"级巡洋舰 也不过1-2艘
其主力舰艇还是满载排水量约9000吨的"伯克"级驱逐舰
所以 以满载排水量达12000吨以上的055型
为主力的想法过于豪华了些近日有关方面消息称
我国新型的052E型驱逐舰项目正在对关键性配套设备进行竞标
而该型舰艇将作为052D的延续 继续成为我国航母编队的主力
消息源称052E将吸收055型的先进技术成果
原先的382型搜索雷达将被替挽成383型双波段有源相控阵旋转雷达
以提高棎测距离 精度和多目标处理能力
同时其供电系统也将升级 可能采用综合电力系统
从描述看 052E更类似千一款排水量稍小的055
以更多的数量作为主力的存在
同时 一个好消息是 我国新一代的054B型护卫舰
也将采取这种双波段的AESA雷达
看来我国这是准备要"白菜化"双波段雷达了

From the video is these images of a CG model and a physical model that can be found elsewhere on the net. It seems to be that these are older images and are of an early concept design for the Type 55 destroyer. Of course the Type 55 destroyer still came out fairly different and bigger than the following concept.

Type55early01.jpg

Type55early02.jpg

The big black rotary radar on top of the tower is probably the radar that is said to be planned for the Type 52E. Note the difference between that radar and the one in the same position on the Type 52D.

type52D01.jpg

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The video in the first post has been deleted already but maybe it'll pop up again somewhere else.

Anyway, when the first Type 55 destroyer was launched with a ceremony and all, there was still guesswork as to how many VLS the ship actually had since that data was never officially stated and there hasn't been anyway clear photos to make direct observation possible. Guesswork ranged from 96 to 128. But now this photo came out which now seems to have people concluding that it has 2x8x4 (64) in the front and 2x8x3 (48) in the rear, thus making 112 VLS.

Type55VLShowmany.jpg

That's a particularly prominent sonar bulge.

Any idea what the installations above the hanger are? There are four that look similar, two facing out to each side. The one centered behind that I assume is another point defense system; looks like their flavor of RAM.

According to these Chinese image of a Type 52D destroyer which has similar looking thing in identical position, those are 多功能火箭发射器 (multi-function rocket launchers) 系统(system). I would guess that the primary function is to launch decoys. The second image is calling the RAM-like missile piece HQ-10 防空导弹系统 (air defense missile system). Probably the same equipment being put on the Type 55.

Type52Dquzhujian.jpg

Type52Dqushujian01.jpg

Edited by JasonJ

Ok, so basically their SRBOC. Might also serve as some kind of close range ASW mortar like the Russians do/did.

Also I didn't notice how large the sonar installation on the 52D was. 55 looks to have more of the same.

I have been thinking that the 4 faced phased array radars looked kind of big too. Either they aren't able to use the las test technology and are making up for less effectiveness with bigger size or they are using similar level of tech but just going bigger for better performance.

Well, size might have more to do with wavelength. Emitter spacing would likely be a function of wavelength.

The location of the multi-function rocket launchers suggests countermeasures, like as you say, chaff dispensers.

The 7-30 has a very Goalkeeper look to it, but with an obvious EO head as well as the radar tracker.

At 18x4, that's a lot of counter measures compared to USN ships.

As for the panels, it isn't obvious to me that its a bigger installation but it might be. The more elements you have, the more energy you can focus at any particular target. It doesn't mean a frequency change most likely; I assume it opperates in the S band, but it would mean enhanced range and target tracking ability. Note that the US has been attempting to field much larger phased arrays as well, primarily for ABM usage (which the Chinese don't need) but generally has been running into the problem of comfortably carrying the top weight.

Interesting point about top weight on destroyers. The use of gallium nitride in radars looks to be attractive and some articles make it sound like a game changer as far as radars go. AFAIK, the new SPY-6 uses GaN. And the US Army is looking into replacing the radars on the Patriot system with new ones made with GaN. GaN has a density of 6.1g per cm3 while the current (I guess) GaAs has a density of 5.3g per gram3. Any idea on the potential weight increase that comes with using GaN? Naturally land based systems like Patriot and Aegis ashore won't have any top heavy issue. And while I'm at it, is there any competitive alternative to the use of GaN in the future or is it the way to go in the future?

SPY-6, also know as AMDR, does use GaN. However the USN still wanted much larger arrays for missile defense and couldn't fit them into the Burke:

"The AMDR system consists of two primary radars and a radar suite controller (RSC) to coordinate the sensors. An S-band radar is to provide volume search, tracking, ballistic missile defense discrimination and missile communications while the X-band radar is to provide horizon search, precision tracking, missile communication and terminal illumination of targets.[6] The S-band and X-band sensors will also share functionality including radar navigation, periscope detection, as well as missile guidance and communication. AMDR is intended as a scalable system; the Burke deckhouse can only accommodate a 14-foot version but the USN claim they need a radar of 20 foot or more to meet future ballistic missile threats.[8] This would require a new ship design; Ingalls have proposed the San Antonio-class amphibious transport dock as the basis for a ballistic missile defense cruiser with 20-foot AMDR. To cut costs the first twelve AMDR sets will have an X-band component based on the existing SPQ-9B rotating radar, to be replaced by a new X-band radar in set 13 that will be more capable against future threats.[8]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AN/SPY-6#Technology

SPY-6, also know as AMDR, does use GaN. However the USN still wanted much larger arrays for missile defense and couldn't fit them into the Burke:

"The AMDR system consists of two primary radars and a radar suite controller (RSC) to coordinate the sensors. An S-band radar is to provide volume search, tracking, ballistic missile defense discrimination and missile communications while the X-band radar is to provide horizon search, precision tracking, missile communication and terminal illumination of targets.[6] The S-band and X-band sensors will also share functionality including radar navigation, periscope detection, as well as missile guidance and communication. AMDR is intended as a scalable system; the Burke deckhouse can only accommodate a 14-foot version but the USN claim they need a radar of 20 foot or more to meet future ballistic missile threats.[8] This would require a new ship design; Ingalls have proposed the San Antonio-class amphibious transport dock as the basis for a ballistic missile defense cruiser with 20-foot AMDR. To cut costs the first twelve AMDR sets will have an X-band component based on the existing SPQ-9B rotating radar, to be replaced by a new X-band radar in set 13 that will be more capable against future threats.[8]"

Size of the array of 052C is 4.2 meter. Size of the array of 052D is 4.5 meters. Size of the array in 055 is rumored to be 6 meters. Note 14 ft is around 4.2 meters, and 6 meters is around 20 feet. So 055 is essentially what US navy would like for a full sized AMDR follow-on to Aleigh Burke. And 052C and 052D at mid life refit will have a sensor that will at least be a match to AMDR fitted to Burke 3.

Your picture of so called 052E is definitely fan generated, so not trustworthy.

Size of the array of 052C is 4.2 meter. Size of the array of 052D is 4.5 meters. Size of the array in 055 is rumored to be 6 meters. Note 14 ft is around 4.2 meters, and 6 meters is around 20 feet. So 055 is essentially what US navy would like for a full sized AMDR follow-on to Aleigh Burke. And 052C and 052D at mid life refit will have a sensor that will at least be a match to AMDR fitted to Burke 3.

That is some interesting specific data dimensions. I don't mean to come off negatively, but I have to ask, is the numbers on the dimensions being published in actual books or stated by officials or is it pixel counting estimating work by net users? The pixel counting way wouldn't necessarily fully discredit an estimation of 4.2, 4.5, and 6.0 meters, but it would call interest in a closer look in how the pixel counting came to its measurements (for anyone that was interested debating that at least). Well for me, just knowing that the Type 55 having bigger ones than the Type 52D and Type 52C is good enough. Well anyway, just interested in where those numbers are coming from.

Never claimed that the pictures were of the Type 52E. Read more carefully please.

That is some interesting specific data dimensions. I don't mean to come off negatively, but I have to ask, is the numbers on the dimensions being published in actual books or stated by officials or is it pixel counting estimating work by net users? The pixel counting way wouldn't necessarily fully discredit an estimation of 4.2, 4.5, and 6.0 meters, but it would call interest in a closer look in how the pixel counting came to its measurements (for anyone that was interested debating that at least). Well for me, just knowing that the Type 55 having bigger ones than the Type 52D and Type 52C is good enough. Well anyway, just interested in where those numbers are coming from.

Never claimed that the pictures were of the Type 52E. Read more carefully please.

That's what I remembered from the discussion on the net. Since you asked about the source, I did a search to try to find the source. For Type 346 radar of 052C, I found a dimension of 3.9m x 4.6m cited in lots of places, including baidu encyclopedia page -- I am not able to track down the source, but it probably come from a single picture of the radar before the external cover is mounted. The figures that I cited before is probably external dimension, pixel counted by someone. The 346A radar of 052D actually have a news article source in Chinese, the expert interviewed state that 346A is larger the base 346, and the dimension is 4.3m. So it's in the ball park of the figure I cited.

The figure for 055 is speculated, so beware.

3rd Zubr class LCAC.

Their first two were purchased form the Ukraine.

zubr00.jpg

This third one was domestically made recently.

近日据网友发布图片显示,野牛家族的第三艘野牛也就是国产的第一艘野牛气垫船3327艇终于加入人民海军序列。这艘与之前的两艘已经有很大的不同了,与3325、3326不同的是3327两侧的风扇壳上的是八一军旗而不是海军旗,这一特征变化可能也有着不同的意义。

野牛气垫船以555吨的满载排水量成为世界上最大的气垫登陆船舶,且其尺寸远大于现今船坞登陆舰和两栖攻击舰的容纳能力,不能由任何母船搭载,完全依靠本身的续航力,因此苏联海军将其直接划分为“登陆舰”。

虽然只有500吨的排水量,可是他的战斗力却是堪称是全世界最变态的军舰了,堪比一艘4万吨级别的两栖攻击舰了。

它拥有强大的运输力,实际载重可达150吨。该舰可一次装载运送3辆96式主战坦克,或者10辆89式装甲输送车,或者8辆ZBD-97/04式步兵战车,同时,舰上设有4个登陆舱室,可搭载共计140名海军陆战队员同时执行任务。

如果只是搭载登陆作战人员,那么,可在运送登陆作战装备的舱室安装可拆卸座椅,这样可以安置360名全副武装的海军陆战队员,使该舰搭载总数达到一个加强营近500人。

火力方面也一样的很强悍,艇艏两侧各装有一具MS-227 Ogon 22联装140mm多管火箭发射器,每组发射器各备有66枚弹药,足以三次射击所需。舰桥前方的两侧各装有一门AK-630 30mm六管旋转机炮,用于射击水面、岸上目标或进行防空自卫,每分钟射速达3200发。

此外,艇上还有两组双联装MTU-2短程防空导弹发射器,每具发射器 各备有16枚SA-N-5(后期改用SA-N-16 Igla-M)短程防空导弹。此外,必要时野牛型也能担任布雷任务,此时舰上车辆甲板可储存80枚水雷,由舰尾舱门施放。

专家曾表示每次登陆作战时,美军都必须确定了绝对的制海制空权后才进行的,从来不敢用没有任何武装的登陆舰登陆。反观野牛气垫船火力强大,拥有比一般炮艇还强大的海空火力,直接可以领用自己的火力进行登陆。美军目前的没有一款登陆舰、艇的性能能远超野牛舰的。

正是因为这么出色的性能,当初中国购买乌克兰的野牛气垫船价格也是不菲啊,据说每艘的单价达到了8000万美元,4艘总共花费了3.15亿美元,而当初希腊购买该级气垫船的时候仅仅花费了5000万美元而已。

汉和防务曾认为,中国拥有独立研制的能力之后,将最终装备20艘改型气垫船,加上更多的726型中型气垫船,整个气垫船舰队的总数甚至会达到50艘。(作者署名:鼎盛军事)

http://mil.news.sina.com.cn/jssd/2017-10-12/doc-ifymrqmq4848148.shtml

zubr01.jpg

More pictures from the article in the spoiler

zubr02.jpg

zubr03.jpg

zubr04.jpg

zubr05.jpg

Armored vehicles transported by a LACA reach the sea-beach during a landing training exercise on May 13, 2016. A landing ship flotilla with the South China Sea Fleet of the PLA Navy has been engaged in beach landing training in an undisclosed sea area of the South China Sea for several days in mid-May, 2016. The training highlighted the coordination between the crew of Landing Craft Air Cushion (LACA) and the troops of armored units in the loading and unloading of armored hardware.

http://english.chinamil.com.cn/news-channels/photo-reports/2016-05/19/content_7062247_7.htm

zubro7.jpg

More pictures of that exercise and linked article in the spoiler

zubro1.jpg

zubro2.jpg

zubro3.jpg

zubro4.jpg

zubro5.jpg

zubro6.jpg

There a several webpage articles dated late 2014 and early 2015 like this one saying that Greece sold their 4 Zubr LCACs to China but I cannot find anything later to confirm whether of not that deal went though or if there was a hick up. Anyone know?

There a several webpage articles dated late 2014 and early 2015 like this one saying that Greece sold their 4 Zubr LCACs to China but I cannot find anything later to confirm whether of not that deal went though or if there was a hick up. Anyone know?

No Greek Zubrs were sold, unless I'm missing something all 4 are still in possession of the Greek Navy. Two are fully operational, one was recently brought back to action and is presumably operational while the fourth has been cannibalized for spare parts. Maintenance of the ships is very problematic due to high costs and the fact that their engines are Ukrainian. Russia however has developed its own engine and I read that it is the intention of the Greek navy to eventually repair and bring the fourth one back to service as well.

No Greek Zubrs were sold, unless I'm missing something all 4 are still in possession of the Greek Navy. Two are fully operational, one was recently brought back to action and is presumably operational while the fourth has been cannibalized for spare parts. Maintenance of the ships is very problematic due to high costs and the fact that their engines are Ukrainian. Russia however has developed its own engine and I read that it is the intention of the Greek navy to eventually repair and bring the fourth one back to service as well.

Apparently there is more then enough interest to restart production, the problem is a technical one of restarting component production.

• 2 months later...

Almost exactly one year ago (timing unintended coincidence - December 26th 2016) more or less 14 Type 52Ds were accounted for.

type52Doo1.jpg

http://www.tank-net.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=39564&page=83&do=findComment&comment=1284929

As of now, currently 17 are accounted for. Not only the wiki but other places on the web seem to think more or less 17 as of now as well, such as here.

type52Dnumbers.jpg

https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/052D%E5%9E%8B%E5%AF%BC%E5%BC%B9%E9%A9%B1%E9%80%90%E8%88%B0

Two Type 055 destroyers are being built at the shipyard in Dalian, Liaoning.

type055x1.jpg

type055x2.jpg

Can also be seen with just google map directly, although a bit of a time lag.

https://www.google.co.jp/maps/place/%E4%B8%AD%E5%9B%BD%E8%88%B9%E8%88%B6%E5%B7%A5%E6%A5%AD%E7%89%A9%E8%B3%87%E5%A4%A7%E9%80%A3%E6%9C%89%E9%99%90%E5%85%AC%E5%8F%B8%E8%88%B9%E8%88%B6%E9%85%8D%E5%A5%97%E7%94%A3%E5%93%81%E5%B8%82%E5%A0%B4+Xigang+Qu,+Dalian+Shi,+Liaoning+Sheng,+%E4%B8%AD%E8%8F%AF%E4%BA%BA%E6%B0%91%E5%85%B1%E5%92%8C%E5%9B%BD+116001/@38.9392086,121.6440169,1362m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x3585f559f11c5cb5:0x1be758954d3364d8!8m2!3d38.9313394!4d121.6335463

Two more Type 055s are being built in the Jiangnan Shipyard in Shanghai, one with its hull formed and the other with hull parts being laid out.

type055x3.jpg

Chinese article about this image in the spoiler

虽然已是2017年年末,中国造船军工人可一点没懈怠。最新出现于国内军事论坛的卫星照片显示,第5艘055型万吨级驱逐舰和第14艘052D型6000吨级驱逐舰的分段均已亮相船台。从2012年8月第一艘052D型“中华神盾”改进型驱逐舰下水算起,至今5年多一点时间,中国军工一气儿建造了两种型号,共计19艘新型驱逐舰。而在第一代051型国产驱逐舰的年代,中国海军从1971年至1991年的20年间,一共也只接收了18艘该型舰。

图片来源见水印,非常感谢制作者。

因为第一艘052D型驱逐舰的正式开建时间应是2011年前后,所以说是6年建造19艘。当然这并不是6年交付19艘。但如此建造速度,而且还是两种不同型号,其中一种还是我国首型万吨级驱逐舰,中国军工这些年来的辛勤和努力,确实产出了累累硕果。

仔细观察上面的最新卫星图可以发现,其中大致有约11艘战舰正在建造。具体包括:2艘055型驱逐舰、3艘052D型驱逐舰、5艘726A型气垫登陆艇、1艘疑似新型扫雷舰。但其实在画面以外比较近的地方,今年6月下水的055型首舰正在建造之中。就是说这一家造船厂,至少正同时建造12艘不同型号的战舰。

这张图里除了2艘052D型,还有2艘正在建造的055型驱逐舰。非常感谢图片作者。

回顾历史,中国海军从1971年12月开始接收第一代国产驱逐舰051型首舰济南舰(已退役,新济南舰为052C型“中华神盾”舰),直到20年后的1991年,最后一艘051型驱逐舰珠海舰才交付。这期间海军装备发展的艰辛可想而知:就算1年还接收不到1艘驱逐舰,而且舰艇性能自完成研制时起就已落后于世界先进水平,但18艘051型驱逐舰的总数,还是不能仅从数量上满足海军对中大型水面舰艇的需要。

所以我们可以看到,那段时期,中国海军派出执行各种任务的,更多的是053系列护卫舰,甚至是037型猎潜艇。标准排水量仅400吨的037型艇,却被戏称为同吨位舰艇中火力最强大的“战列舰”,其实恰恰是中国海军大型舰艇数量严重不足现象的一种折射。

这已经是大大降低对海火力的037型艇比较新的改进型号。

截至目前,中国海军已拥有23艘最大排水量超过6000吨的现代化导弹驱逐舰,27艘最大排水量超过3800吨的现代化导弹护卫舰。也就是说,相比当年18艘最大排水量3600余吨的051型驱逐舰,海军大中型水面战舰数量已经翻了近两倍。

不过这仍然不够。此前笔者曾计算过,就算只是在中国海军一半的驱逐舰支队试行装备6艘驱逐舰+6艘护卫舰(之前是“4+4”),目前还缺少8艘052D型驱逐舰。而从造船厂这边的进度来看,包括即将交付的、正在建造的,刚出现分段的第14艘052D型舰在内,总数正好是8艘。而第6艘服役的052D型驱逐舰,就是今年6月加入东海舰队的154厦门舰(下图)。

而已经有5艘以下水、合拢、分段等多种形态亮相的055型驱逐舰,未来首先会满足组建中国海军航母编队的需要,其次才会满足各舰队水面主力舰艇部队的需要。从长远来看,在完成一半的驱逐舰支队扩编试点后,“6+6”的数量最终应该会在全部驱逐舰支队实行。也就是说,还有3个支队需要增加的驱逐舰数量似乎还没着落呢。所以,中国军工未来加班加点的日子可能还得延续下去。(作者署名:百战刀)

本栏目所有文章目的在于传递更多信息,并不代表本网赞同其观点和对其真实性负责。凡本网注明版权所有的作品,版权均属于新浪网,凡署名作者的,版权则属原作者或出版人所有,未经本网或作者授权不得转载、摘编或利用其它方式使用上述作品。

http://mil.news.sina.com.cn/jssd/2017-12-25/doc-ifypxrpp3758706.shtml

A bigger image of it. Five LCACs also, article says they are Type 726As.

type055x4.jpg

This shipyard can be viewed directly with google as well.

https://www.google.co.jp/maps/search/Shanghai+Jiangnan+Shipyard/@31.3474102,121.7444249,748m/data=!3m1!1e3

So those four plus the 1 already launched this year in late June makes five Type 055 Destroyers so far.

Edited by JasonJ

• 3 weeks later...

Construction of the third carrier has started last year. As of now, the word is about 80,000 tons, "new launch system", 4 "CBGs" by 2030.

China started building its third aircraft carrier, with a hi-tech launch system, at a Shanghai shipyard last year, according to sources close to the People’s Liberation Army.

One of the sources said Shanghai Jiangnan Shipyard Group was given the go-ahead to begin work on the vessel after military leaders met in Beijing following the annual sessions of China’s legislature and top political advisory body in March.

“But the shipyard is still working on the carrier’s hull, which is expected to take about two years,” the source said. “Building the new carrier will be more complicated and challenging than the other two ships.”

China has been trying to build up a blue-water navy that can operate globally and support its maritime security, but it so far has only one aircraft carrier, the Liaoning – a repurposed Soviet ship it bought from Ukraine that went into service in 2012.

Its first Chinese designed and built aircraft carrier, the Type 001A, is expected to go into full service later this year.

The sources all said it was too early to say when the third vessel would be launched, but China plans to have four aircraft carrier battle groups in service by 2030, according to naval experts.

Shipbuilders and technicians from Shanghai and Dalian are working on the third vessel, which will have a displacement of about 80,000 tonnes – 10,000 tonnes more than the Liaoning, according to another source close to the PLA Navy.

“China has set up a strong and professional aircraft carrier team since early 2000, when it decided to retrofit the Varyag [the unfinished vessel China bought from Ukraine] to launch as the Liaoning, and it hired many Ukrainian experts ... as technical advisers,” the second source said.

The sources also confirmed that the new vessel, the CV-18, will use a launch system that is more advanced than the Soviet-designed ski-jump systems used in its other two aircraft carriers.

Its electromagnetic aircraft launch system will mean less wear and tear on the planes and it will allow more aircraft to be launched in a shorter time than other systems.

Dalian Shipbuilding Industry spent more than eight years refurbishing and upgrading the Liaoning. It is a subsidiary of state-owned China Shipbuilding Industry Corp (CSIC), as is the Shanghai shipyard.

CSIC chairman Hu Wenming in November told state broadcaster CCTV that China now had the expertise to build any type of aircraft carrier. He said a unit of 5,000 people from across the country had been formed to work on developing the country’s aircraft carrier fleet.

The latest aircraft carrier project has been in the pipeline for some time. Satellite images taken back in 2009 showed a huge frame had been installed at the Shanghai shipyard to accommodate large-scale projects. That year, its general manager Nan Daqing told Shanghai Dragon TV the company was “fully prepared” to build the country’s first home-grown aircraft carrier.

The Jiangnan shipyard is China’s oldest – it was founded during the Qing dynasty in 1865 and became a state-owned enterprise in 1949.

Sources said the layout of the new aircraft carrier, including its flight deck and “island” command centre, would be different from the other two.

“The new vessel will have a smaller tower island than the Liaoning and its sister ship because it needs to accommodate China’s carrier-based J-15 fighter jets, which are quite large,” the first source said.

“It has been suggested that they look to Britain’s warship, the HMS Queen Elizabeth, which has two small tower islands on the deck. That would create more space for the runway and aircraft, but no final decision has been made yet.”

China’s navy has meanwhile begun training its own fighter pilots, rather than recruiting them from the air force, as it prepares to expand the fleet, the official PLA Daily reported.

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy-defence/article/2126883/china-has-started-building-its-third-aircraft-carrier

That is the area they seem to be lagging, but they need to worry less about US SSNs (I doubt they will ever meet a French SSN :) ) than about the local SSKs as the Japanese are top of the line and the fleets of South Korea and Vietnam are also quite modern.