Zapad

carrierlost

Blast radius looks low for what I guess are 80mm rockets. Practice presumably.

Either practice or fuse didn't armed due to low range.

Regardless, this is an absolute travesty and should result in some sort of investigation to discover exactly what went wrong. Is the Russian military any good at internal investigations?

Regardless, this is an absolute travesty and should result in some sort of investigation to discover exactly what went wrong. Is the Russian military any good at internal investigations?

If paper shown above is genuine http://s1.uploads.ru/D5QaE.jpg, then “military” part of investigation is over – now it is up to industry\aviation safety to find out why missiles were launched when weapons circuits switch was activated. May be territorial borders of the firing range need to be changed for future.

They have a new military police organization that actually looks like it might be a good outfit, but im not sure if this is really their remit.

Its very easy to get critical about this, but accidental rocket launches have happened before. For example, the big fire on the US Forrestal (the one that nearly burned John McCain to a crisp) was an accidental rocket launch. Think there was a failure of the electrical system IIRC. And as for an accidental shooting on a crowd, there is this scarcely believable incident from my own country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imber_friendly_fire_incident

All that said, its decidedly uncool to have an unsafe weapon whilst pointing the nose at a crowd. And the weapon was clearly unsafe because you have the 'Shoot!' cue come up. When I visited a life fire exercise on Salisbury plain in 2002, they always had the attack aircraft passing parallel to the crowd, never pointing directly at them. Same when they had the tanks firing, it was away from the crowd.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith

In the freeze frame showing the initial explosion it looked about what I would have expected from an 80mm or perhaps larger calibre rocket.

All that said, its decidedly uncool to have an unsafe weapon whilst pointing the nose at a crowd. And the weapon was clearly unsafe because you have the 'Shoot!' cue come up. When I visited a life fire exercise on Salisbury plain in 2002, they always had the attack aircraft passing parallel to the crowd, never pointing directly at them. Same when they had the tanks firing, it was away from the crowd.

It was by no way pointing at the crowd. It was somewhat like field CP with few parked military cars and couple of men that I'm not sure was supposed to be there in that time in first place.

In the freeze frame showing the initial explosion it looked about what I would have expected from an 80mm or perhaps larger calibre rocket.

But would you expect to walk away THAT close to an 80mm rocket? The Cameraman must have been damn lucky if that was a live warhead. Even the truck looks like it might be repairable. The whole reason why they introduced them in Afghanistan was the wider blast radius from a 57mm rocket. And it wasnt just one rocket, it looks like 2 or 3.

It was by no way pointing at the crowd. It was somewhat like field CP with few parked military cars and couple of men that I'm not sure was supposed to be there in that time in first place.

Im not going to argue the point. Ill suggest any ordinance pointed at soldiers or spectators in a live fire display is completely unnecessary, particularly in a country the size of Russia. Misfires happen, of course they do. So you work a way round so they impact the range rather than spectators.

For example, we recently had a life fire accident in Wales, where a Challenger 2 was involved in a HESH explosion (its not clear externally or internally yet). But the point was, cock up though that was, it was other soldiers killed and injured, because the regulations kept people out of the firing line.

I cant remember from my time playing Black Shark what the x means. That usually means the weapon is too close to fire, which considering it flashes right after the rockets fire would seem plausible.

Inscription below aiming mark reads “Switch on main (weapons switch)”, indicating firing circuit not activated. But the moment it was switched on – missiles launched.