Armored Warfare (Life Support)

Avalon12

https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2017/08/21/armored-warfare-coming-to-ps4/

As if the Obsidian being canned, My.com transferring ownership back to Mail.Ru, and the general death of the NA population, they have somehow thought, "You know what could really fix our game? More players!!!! (Despite the game being in a general awful state of affairs)

Bet they'll still sell lots of poorly skinned Premium tanks!

Playerbase and progress will be seperate from the PC games so even if it takes off (which is unlikely because the core gameplay is still shit) I doubt it would do much for the PC servers.

Also, believe it or not, there are apparently several hundred PvE players still on NA keeping it afloat. When they listed the players who met the objectives for one of the parts of the recent campaign there was over 800 names from NA. :blink: Some folks want pixel tanks on there screen no matter how awful the gameplay is...

So for those who enjoy the TMZ-level experience AW has become go check out this exchange on reddit between SS and some disgruntled players.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ArmoredWarfare/comments/6v28ff/episode_3_coming_in_september/

In particular I was a little put off by his comment that it was foolish to put hardcore players into the mix to get their feedback for a casual game like AW. WTF does that even mean? I think it was FCO months ago that called AW nothing more than a browser-based experience at best. Seems that was AW's end game all along. :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

Never going to happen, sadly.

Honestly, at this point, who could make it and have it not suck? My hope was that if we got a western dev team to make a tank game we'd be set. We got OE with AW and from what we've heard of what they wanted to make it still would have been garbage even without Mail.ru being involved.

On top of that there's the unfortunate shift in gaming towards microtransactions/unfinished products and gambling replacing decent game mechanics. In a fantasy world where someone else did make a tank game we'd likely get more of the same BS that's the norm now - spend hundreds of hours or hundreds of dollars to get the game to what used to be a considered a finished product all the while with slot machine like aspects littered throughout to diminish what good players can do and to hook the mouthbreathers. No thanks.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but time and again your expressed desires are actually addressed in Steel Beasts. No grinding, no hidden costs, no micro transactions, no pay to win, a solid simulation core, impartiality towards national customer contingents, dedicated customer support, and a developer that has shown committment to the product for almost 20 years now. It's really difficult to keep my mouth shut. I understand that "it didn't click with you" years ago ... but maybe, just maybe the Steel Beasts of today no longer is what you remember it to be?

Sure, that's certainly a drawback. But is it a killer, compared to all the advantages? There are numerous events announced by the community over every weekend, and at SteelBeasts.com there is a calendar feature to plan your game sessions accordingly. It's more of a challenge to plan for a session on a Tuesday afternoon, I grant you that. Also, SB doesn't offer small, short games unless you go for single player mode.

Sure, that's certainly a drawback. But is it a killer, compared to all the advantages? There are numerous events announced by the community over every weekend, and at SteelBeasts.com there is a calendar feature to plan your game sessions accordingly. It's more of a challenge to plan for a session on a Tuesday afternoon, I grant you that. Also, SB doesn't offer small, short games unless you go for single player mode.

That may be actually the main downer :) Like it or not, most gamers are not really that hardcore and want to have a quick fun however and whenever they want without too much effort. So come home, have a dinner, turn on the PC and have few quick rounds (which also means you do not kill your evening with a long session that doesn't work out).

Generally it would be like the difference between, say, Il-2 flight sim and the War Thunder. Or even within WT between the Arcade and Simulator modes.

That may be actually the main downer :) Like it or not, most gamers are not really that hardcore and want to have a quick fun however and whenever they want without too much effort. So come home, have a dinner, turn on the PC and have few quick rounds (which also means you do not kill your evening with a long session that doesn't work out).

This is exactly it, especially now as I'm trying to move away from playing games as much as I used to.

Thanks. It kinda makes sense. Not sure if a serious simulation can do anything about that without losing its character as a serious sim (if it's really about real-life tactics it requires a lot of coordination between the players, which in turn doesn't lend well to the concept of ad-hoc match making). But I can understand the argument in the context of WoT/AW and similar casual games.

Me as well. I gave up WoT and AW. I played Fallout New Vegas all over again starting from scratch. Have like 200 mods. Any now that we are about to become a family of 4, i've sold off my RX 470's to help pay for the car repairs.. I'll be taking a bit of a break from gaming. From now on it'll be Civ V, PR , Dirt Rally and some occasional Wargame European Escalation.

(Downgraded to an XFX HD7970 3GB)

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else receive an email from the AW team begging them to come back for the 2nd Anniversary? When i got them email, it made me realize this project died long ago. Didn't even make it a year without life support.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Aaaaaaand it's out on Steam along with another patch. It's also still a steaming pile of shit (I'd give it an F to WoT's C).

It's a bummer there's still no good casual tank game for us out there on the market.

Well WOT has employed a number of of TN's brought a whole bunch of unknown tanks to life and generated quite the interest in tanks both famous and odd ones. SB has given us the ability to fight like a modern army and employed some TNers as well.

I'm looking at it from purely a gaming perspective. As long as WoT has arty, massive amounts of RNG, and all the P2W aspects (gold rounds, FOTM OP premiums, etc.) it'll never be a great game. It has the potential to be but it's currently not (and to be fair, after playing other games like AW, it's not awful either).

Gave the game some more time today. Opinion hasn't changed much. It's an improvement but overall it's still not a good game.

Two big things stuck out today. First, I'm convinced certain decent (but not great) gamers cling onto games like this in hopes of it taking off so that they can launch their streaming career or just be in the clan that's the 'best' in the game. Recognizing so many of the names today that used to play and these mouthbreathers think they're in the LoL world finals. It's 3v3 on limited area maps that have been revised in the recent patch. Maybe folks are learning. Ugh...

Second, and this one is actually really cool, is that AW has a much better system under the hood for shots going where you want. You all know how in WoT when you aim above a ridgeline or even in an open area where you think an enemy tank will be (or is and isn't spotted) and then you fire and the shell goes off into orbit because the game is thinking you're aiming at a spot much farther away than you are? AW doesn't have that problem. You can basically aim anywhere and somehow it knows where you want the shell to go (Maybe they have something where they look at the closest spot to the ground along where the line you're aiming is going and assume that's it? Whatever they did it's clever and it works). I've pulled off several amazing shots through crevices in rock formations on a tank going full tilt and at enemies on ridgelines in the distance. Most of AW's programming has been awful. This... this is remarkable. I wish WoT could get this.

Edited by Skywalkre

• 3 weeks later...

SS had a comment in the AW subreddit I found... amazing. He states there are thousands of active PvE players on the NA server (which is believable because for a recent event they had something like 800 players achieved the PvE requirements), they're paying customers (paying for what I wonder?), and that PvP (I'm guessing he's including GO games in this figure) accounts for just half a percent of all matches on the NA server.

I'm just... shocked at those numbers. AW PvE was some of the most brainless gaming I've come across in years and the number and variability of missions is basically nonexistent. That that many folks are willing to keep at it and spend money is just hard for me to comprehend. I guess seeing pixel tanks on screen, regardless of what you're doing with them, is all that matters to some folks? :blink:

Edit: The underlying point to this is that if they're able to keep the game going with the joke that is their current PvE model I have little hope they'll improve or drastically alter it to something more engaging. That coupled to how slow they are in changing broken aspects of the core gameplay in PvP means there's little hope of this title ever not sucking (which was always low to begin with). I keep holding out hope, but... there's really no reason to.

Edited by Skywalkre

• 1 year later...

Haven't touched it in ages. Randomly decided to visit the subreddit a few months back and was shocked to see the game was still going. Went and looked again just now. Apparently they've merged the servers since pop was so bad in NA and EU. Those players still report not being able to find games, though. Ugh... would hate to deal with the lag in a game like this at those distances (NA, that is).

Edited by Skywalkre