Because Trump 2.0

Mr King

And yet, the US still defended them when they were invaded. Presumably because the US needed them as a secure anchorage among other reasons.

So im sorry, im probably very obtuse. I dont see why in an alternative history the US wouldnt have defended them. The oil clearly made the US a target, but if a secure US anchorage had been attacked in the phillipines first (as I seem to recall Hector Bywater envisaged in the Great pacific war of 1933), then they scarcely would be less involved.

Just my opinion FWIW.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stuart Galbraith

• rmgill

• DKTanker

• Josh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The White House presents: Letters from a fifth-grader.

EHBwvqGXUAAVpKg.jpg

Is this legit? I can get the letterhead of the White house too and fake my own letters.

Its legit, its been confirmed on CNN. In fact, Trump announced he would release it.

'You can make a great deal'. It sounds like he is trying to sell him a fucking golf course.

The comment in our media is that it looks like something a fifth grader wrote.

And I think that is being generous.

I can only imagine the conniptions that the State Department (indeed the Foreign Ministries of most NATO countries) must be going through over the issue of the US nukes in Turkey.

quoting Reuters:

ANKARA (Reuters) - Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan said on Wednesday it was unacceptable for nuclear-armed states to forbid Ankara from obtaining its own nuclear weapons, but did not say whether Turkey had plans to obtain them.

“Some countries have missiles with nuclear warheads, not one or two. But (they tell us) we can’t have them. This, I cannot accept,” he told his ruling AK Party members in the eastern city of Sivas.

“There is no developed nation in the world that doesn’t have them,” Erdogan said. In fact, many developed countries do not have nuclear weapons.

Turkey signed the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty in 1980, and has also signed the 1996 Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty, which bans all nuclear detonations for any purpose.

Erdogan hinted that he wanted the same protection for Turkey as Israel.

“We have Israel nearby, as almost neighbors. They scare (other nations) by possessing these. No one can touch them.”

and Fox

Officials are reviewing plans to evacuate up to 50 U.S. nuclear bombs that have long been stored at Incirlik Air Base in Turkey in the wake of Ankara's military offensive in northern Syria, according to a report.

The weapons are now essentially being held "hostage" by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, a senior official told The New York Times on Monday.

The Cold War-era B61 nuclear bombs are said to be located 100-250 miles from the Syrian border, according to The Guardian. A former U.S. official told the outlet that Turkish diplomats responded to suggestions about moving the bombs by saying Turkey would start to develop its own.

"The potential problems have been discussed for over a decade," the former official said. "And now we’ve finally gotten to a point where this is a problem that we can’t ignore anymore."

The silly bugger already has a nuclear stockpile on his front lawn. As far as deterring nuclear attack, its a done deal. He is driving that protection out of his country by annoying the Americans.

So you then have the question 'well if he doesn't want nuclear weapons for protection, what does he want them for?' And its at that point you reflect, there are no circumstances should he be allowed to own them.

'Lets work out a great deal!' Dear God in heaven. And still people try to support this bloody fool, I absolutely do not get it.

The silly bugger already has a nuclear stockpile on his front lawn. As far as deterring nuclear attack, its a done deal. He is driving that protection out of his country by annoying the Americans.

So you then have the question 'well if he doesn't want nuclear weapons for protection, what does he want them for?' And its at that point you reflect, there are no circumstances should he be allowed to own them.

'Lets work out a great deal!' Dear God in heaven. And still people try to support this bloody fool, I absolutely do not get it.

Mostly because his political opponents are in a seeming race to set off as many red flags as possible. Al they have to do is not behave as vengeful, deceitful duplicitous jerks who prefer foreign citizens over their own and are focussed on Balkanizing their population. And they can't or won't do it. A traditional Democrat would crush this election but couldn't get the nomination. Even if people wince at his behavior he has a track record of not completely destroying foundational aspects of our country while his opponents are literally bragging that they will do so.

What a bloody mess.

Mostly because his political opponents are in a seeming race to set off as many red flags as possible. Al they have to do is not behave as vengeful, deceitful duplicitous jerks who prefer foreign citizens over their own and are focussed on Balkanizing their population. And they can't or won't do it. A traditional Democrat would crush this election but couldn't get the nomination. Even if people wince at his behavior he has a track record of not completely destroying foundational aspects of our country while his opponents are literally bragging that they will do so.

What a bloody mess.

I was watching some of the Democrat primary debates the other day, and they are repeating exactly the same mistake they made in 2016, lining up a bunch of nobodies that are unelectable for more than 1 percent of the population.

So yeah, if Trump lasts that long, its a shoe in. It kinda reminds me of that line in Watchmen, where Nite Owl I complains he voted for Nixon 4 times, and Nite Owl II says 'well yeah, it was either that or the Commies, right?' :D

John F Kennedy probably wouldn't even get a nomination now.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith

Exactly.

If you believe in Freedom and Democracy, you need to defend it. And its going to be a waste of time letting the whole world go under a totalitarian banner, and then getting involved in fighting it as it reaches Americas borders. America nearly learned that lesson to its cost in 1941.

You only have to look at the influence China and Russia and Iran are trying to exert on the world stage, its not a problem left in the past. If the Cold War was about a struggle of values, that struggle has not ended.

Well, I don't want a new Cold War.

I'd very much prefer to see the great powers respect International Law (including in their UNSC decisions), and going against each other only as a sanction to IL violations such as the ongoing Russian aggression against the Ukraine.

The Chump is sure Making America Great Again.

Economy is going pretty good, his foreign policy has scored no major successes, but no major failures either. The biggest strike against him is the massive budget deficit and his tendency to inflammatory tweets. I think Hillary can beat him if she enters the race, (the field of candidates the Dems have offered are not that great). But, I also think that Pence can win in 2020 against any of them, including Hillary, if Trump is impeached.

In terms of the derogatory comments about Trump's move in Syria, our European allies can rant all they want - nobody GAF about their opinions on these war in which they will not come within 2,000 miles of themselves. All I care about is whether the new situation is more stable for Turkey (still our treaty ally, as some seem to forget constantly), Syria, and Iraq. Get the Turkish strip into place, integrate the Kurds into the SAA via Russia, make sure there are no debacles with ISIS along the lines of Obama's incompetence in losing cities like Mosul, and then move on to the next situation.

Edited by glenn239

You dont have a new cold war. You have season 2 of the old cold war. Now with added Chicoms and Novichok. And Its still the same freedoms at risk, just in a different way.

For the rest, so would I. But can you see China and Russia restrict themselves in such a way? Even allies like Turkey are going off the reservation now because they can see there is nobody at the helm and there are next to no consequences. There is little point our espousing our restraint to international law, with China hoovering up the South China sea, and Russia hoovering up territories from Georgia and Ukraine at whim, and Iran fucking up the entire Middle East from end to end. We arent the problem here, they are.

America withdrawing from the world stage is leaving other Democracies weakened. As as other Democracies are weakened, America is weakened. Its that simple. In a fully interconnected world, there is nobody that can stand out from these struggles and remain unmolested. America watched 2 world wars start with precisely this attitude, and were inexorably drawn in every time despite their finest instincts. If that was true 100 years ago and 80 years ago, then whats changed? Just the education and memory of increasing vocal and vapid politicians, and that's all.

Quoting a brilliant letter to the editor in this morning's Sydney Morning Herald:

Font of wisdom

Trump’s letter to Turkish President Recep Erdogan would read a lot better if it were in comic sans font ("Don't be a fool!': Trump urges Turkish President not to slaughter thousands", October 17). -

Nick Andrews, Bellevue Hill

Even allies like Turkey are going off the reservation now because they can see there is nobody at the helm and there are next to no consequences.

Since when are alliances defined as "consequences" for disobedience?

Your instincts in the foreign policy arena are domination and submission, and these are not appropriate to the situation.

Lindsey Graham is at Defcon 2 at the moment. Id hate to see him when he is really ticked off.

President Trump is being told EXACTLY what President Obama was told before he withdrew from Iraq. He appears to be hell-bent on making the same mistakes in Syria as President Obama made in Iraq.

2,018 replies 501 retweets 2,339 likes

Mr. President, forget about what I’m saying about Syria. Listen to your own national security team who are telling you the consequences of your decision and the impact it will have on our nation.

1,578 replies 531 retweets 2,635 likes

When it comes to America's national security I will NEVER be quiet.

1. Lindsey GrahamVerified account @LindseyGrahamSC 19h19 hours ago

The worst thing any Commander in Chief can do is to give land back to the enemy that was taken through blood and sacrifice. I fear those are the consequences of the actions being taken right now.

5,170 replies 1,135 retweets 4,489 likes

. "The worst thing any Commander in Chief can do is to give land back to the enemy that was taken through blood and sacrifice."

Graham must be confused. The territory in question is in Syria and is therefore not the USA’s to take or give away.

Edited by glenn239

I'd rather live free than secure. I'm sure others would also.

If you look at the security theatre still in place around air travel 18 years after 9/11, there's very little evidence of that sentiment.

Have you turned in your fake AK and pointy Knives yet Stuart?

Nope. And if you went to some of the militaria fairs I go to Ryan, you would realise how hopelessly off base you are in what you think my country is.

And if you came to the US and spoke to and saw the US, you'd realize how off base you are with regards to Trump.

Nope. And if you went to some of the militaria fairs I go to Ryan, you would realise how hopelessly off base you are in what you think my country is.

And if you came to the US and spoke to and saw the US, you'd realize how off base you are with regards to Trump.

Dont tell me, tell a Kurd.

After The UK's stellar performance in that Iranian tanker kerfluffle, I'm not sure how people have the nerve to take issue with another country's efforts.

Take it up with the Gibraltarian authorities. They were the ones that made the call to do it, at the behest of the EU who seemingly found little interest to back them or Britain up.

If you find our actions so exceptional, do better. But you cant, because you are withdrawing from the world stage, at the same time sneering at the efforts of nations that try to do better.

If you want better, DO better. Dont whine about how ineffectual we are and then bugger off. Your country has no place to lecture on this point, not after this week.

On that American Interventionism and liberals complaining about it.

Im a liberal by your definition. Do I complain about American interventionism? No. So dont mark us all with the same chalk.

You are picking out examples to show how unloved you are. You forget, Im the grandson of a British POW liberated by Americans. There are plenty that remember the good Americans have done in the world, the irony is the only ones that fail to bloody remember it are seemingly Americans themselves.

If you want to feel slighted and forgotten by history, try being British. It will be revelatory to you, it really will.

The argument for seizing the Grace 1 remains at best a rather peculiar interpretation of EU sanctions against Syria.

Since when are alliances defined as "consequences" for disobedience?

Your instincts in the foreign policy arena are domination and submission, and these are not appropriate to the situation.

Wait, weren't you the one who compared Danish exception to Trump's Greenland idea to an employee unwisely talking back to the boss?