Top Posters In This Topic

• Stuart Galbraith

• rmgill

• DKTanker

• Josh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

It could be held against any flag, within reason. My own has been misused often enough. I remember back in the 1980's, Margaret Thatcher waving it like a prop at a Conservative conference. That really offended me. The flag is supposed to be a flag of unity and inclusion, not a prop for a grotty Political party conference. However, it survived the experience, they didnt own it, despite their best efforts to claim it. Nobody has.

The far right usually (not always but usually) use the England flag as a prop. Which is one reason why I personally dont want anything to do with the England Flag. Its been cheapened by such people.

I dont see the Stars and Stripes the same way. Yes, you had the Jane Fonda accolytes burning it in the 1960's. But that didnt cheapen it. And to my mind it simply doesnt mean anything other than the same thing the Union Flag means, inclusion. Yes, right wing groups might occasionally try to use it, but they dont own it. It does not, to my mind at least, have the same contentious history the Confederate flag does.

Hey, just my view anyway for what its worth.

Why people use a Pirate flag ?  hey even Lego have Pirate flags in their sets...

https://sicnoticias.pt/programas/leste-oeste/2021-01-17-Leste-Oeste-com-Nuno-Rogeiro.-Os-misterios-do-Capitolio

This a topic in one of main Portuguese channel news SIC - which is anti Trump - nevertheless with the title Mysteries of Capitol. The guy that talks is Nuno Rogeiro is not a leftist and points to some strange things in what happened.

Mostly points to the guy with furry hat and how he can move around the police and how he stirs the crowd and actively breaks glasses later. From 12:14 in the movie.

2 hours ago, lucklucky said:

Why people use a Pirate flag ?  hey even Lego have Pirate flags in their sets...

Because it was less a statement of a cause, certainly not of a nation, than a statement of a intent. By the same token we could get really worked up about the Yellow flag for fever and contagion, but it would be just as pointless.

https://wiki2.org/en/Yellow_flag_(contagion)

6 hours ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

Yeah I can buy that too. That was a large part of Trumps appeal, probably more than we have given credence for it abroad.

Of course. Unless you put in a lot of effort, your perceptions are going to be skewed by America's press biases.

6 hours ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

They were Trump supporters. And yes, many Trump supporters are decent people, I would not make the allegation against anyone here they werent, despite my disagreements. But equally, none of the people here stormed the Capitol building. So why identify with them? Its clearly an entirely different base from what voted for Reagan or the Bushes.

Not all were Trump supporters, some were just pissed off about electoral fraud. And some were pissed off about the Dems controlling DC.

13 hours ago, Skywalkre said:

What prominent Conservative voices were kicked off?  Limbaugh?  He shut down his account on his own.  Looking up to see who was kicked off the best list I could find was this one from Forbes.  I wouldn't call any of them prominent and they're all clearly Trump fanboys.  Everything I've seen is those 70k accounts were nobodies.

The last I saw on here was that one website, AR15.com, is back up.

The banks and companies cutting off business/donations are cutting ties with Rs who voted to contest the election on the Hill.  An election, as already noted, that was clearly won by Biden and which has zero credible evidence to be challenged at this point (and all the same issues apply that I already stated - sowing uncertainty at a time when shit is already bad and could get a lot worse when you have nothing to stand on is pure idiocy and the businesses are tired of it).  Some companies did a blanket cut off of donations to all Republicans but that was until said companies could do a review of everything.  This isn't about culling Conservatism, it's about standing up to stupidity at this point and I can't find any fault with anyone but the Rs still foolish enough to go along with this asshatery. 

Holy facepalm, Batman!

I can't count how many times conservatives I follow on Twitter have been booted, throttled, forced to edit perfectly innocuous posts and temp banned, or how many times I've been forced to re-follow them repeatedly.

It's like the German citizenry claiming they didn't know about the death camps because they never actually took a tour of one, never mind all those Jews being loaded on train cars and disappearing. If you're unaware, it's because you actively choose NOT to be aware.

46 minutes ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

Except nobody is dying, and they can setup a blog or use print media or go on TV. So it's not really like the death camps at all.

As always, way to miss the forest for the trees. How about the substance?

It is fascinating to watch the Trump supporters on-line go through their stages of disillusionment and grief before generally settling on the belief that he was really weak and his main failing was not being enough of a strongman to stand up to the Democrats.  At this rate I expect them to nominate someone that Atilla the Hun and Conan would look at and think "that's a bit much".  The Democrats got Trump as an opponent because the Republican base was angry, it is going to be a whole lot worse when they feel scared.  I sincerely hope the Democrats step off the gas but I don't expect them to and 2021 is going to look like pax Romana compared to what comes next.

Our elites are bloody idiots.

It's even more fascinating to watch leftist go through the blithe entirely un-self aware mode of defending policies that they described as fascistic when promoted in minor by Trump, but when Biden/Democrats do it, writ large, they're entire fine with. An example is the 25,000 Federalized troops deployed to DC vs the screaming at the use of federal police to pick up identified rioters in peaceful, orderly, police procedure.

Edited by rmgill

1 hour ago, rmgill said:

It's even more fascinating to watch leftist go through the blithe entirely un-self aware mode of defending policies that they described as fascistic when promoted in minor by Trump, but when Biden/Democrats do it, writ large, they're entire fine with. An example is the 25,000 Federalized troops deployed to DC vs the screaming at the use of federal police to pick up identified rioters in peaceful, orderly, police procedure.

The difference is that the right hasn't gone after my daughters so I actually care what they do besides simply collapse.  I have no such compassion for the left anymore.

3 hours ago, nitflegal said:

It is fascinating to watch the Trump supporters on-line go through their stages of disillusionment and grief before generally settling on the belief that he was really weak and his main failing was not being enough of a strongman to stand up to the Democrats.  At this rate I expect them to nominate someone that Atilla the Hun and Conan would look at and think "that's a bit much".  The Democrats got Trump as an opponent because the Republican base was angry, it is going to be a whole lot worse when they feel scared.  I sincerely hope the Democrats step off the gas but I don't expect them to and 2021 is going to look like pax Romana compared to what comes next.

Our elites are bloody idiots.

3 hours ago, rmgill said:

Didn't the fat and sassy General's state that they wouldn't mobilize troops to protect cities from rioters?   Seems they changed their tune from Dixie to Johnny comes marching home.

6 hours ago, Tim the Tank Nut said:

if you need 25,000 troops to secure the capitol is it really an inauguration?

Throw in a ritual sacrifice of a bull to Jupiter and we can call it an appointment to 1st Consul.

Doxxing insurrectionists: Capitol riot divides online extremism researchers

The uprising has sparked a tense debate about the right way to stitch together the digital scraps of someone's life to publicly accuse them of committing a crime.

By Issie Lapowsky | January 16, 2021

Joan Donovan has a panic button in her office, just in case one of the online extremists she spends her days fighting tries to fight back.

"This is not baby shit," Donovan, who is research director of Harvard's Shorenstein Center on Media, Politics and Public Policy, said. "You do not fuck around with these people in public."

Which is why Donovan has been so worried about what she's seen happening online in the days since a violent mob overtook the U.S. Capitol. Scores of amateur sleuths are combing through terabytes of footage and openly trading tips on Twitter in hopes of piecing together the rioters' identities and bringing them to justice. To Donovan, these Twitter detectives aren't just running the risk of misidentifying innocent people; they may also unknowingly be putting themselves at risk by publicly pursuing potentially dangerous people.

Even more worrisome to Donovan: the role some prominent researchers are playing in organizing the hunt. So this week, she went on Twitter and shared some blunt words of warning. "This is one of the most dangerous uses of social media by a researcher," Donovan wrote. "Research ethics now. We must hold each other to account."

Her remarks were directed at another academic, John Scott-Railton of the University of Toronto's Citizen Lab, who has gained a following for his crowdsourced investigations of the riot, which most notably led to the successful identification of an Air Force veteran who was photographed in full tactical gear on the floor of the Senate. Two days after The New Yorker's Ronan Farrow used Scott-Railton's tip to confirm the veteran's identity and published a story with his findings, the suspect was arrested in Texas.

Scott-Railton shares Donovan's concerns — and admires her work — but says those concerns have led him to a different conclusion. He argues that in the wake of any public event caught on camera, be it a confrontation on a bike trail or the Boston Marathon bombing, there are bound to be crowds of extremely online people using digital techniques to assign blame. His goal is to harness that energy in productive ways and model appropriate behavior.

"I think the conversation has to be one that involves being very intentional in thinking about harm reduction and in trying to do one's best to always model the behavior you want to see from others," he said, noting that he has repeatedly urged his followers not to name potential suspects on Twitter and, instead, to funnel any specific names to the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Besides, with the inauguration around the corner and the vast majority of the Capitol rioters still on the loose, Scott-Railton argues it's critically important to use the power of crowdsourcing to stop those people from committing any more violence. "There may be people who intend to do violent things around the inauguration," he said. "We urgently need to understand who they are."

The Capitol riot was a boundary-busting event in almost every way, and its impact on the digital privacy debate was no different. The insurrectionists' acts were so galling, so frightening, that suddenly, even those who might oppose digital surveillance and forensics techniques in other contexts, like, say, identifying peaceful protesters at a Black Lives Matter rally, feel justified in deploying those tools against the rioters. The shifting goalposts have sparked a tense debate among researchers of online extremism about the right way to stitch together the digital scraps of someone's life to publicly accuse them of committing a crime — or whether there is a right way at all.

[...] 

https://www.protocol.com/doxxing-capitol-rioters#toggle-gdpr

On 1/17/2021 at 6:27 PM, Skywalkre said:

What prominent Conservative voices were kicked off?  Limbaugh?  He shut down his account on his own.  Looking up to see who was kicked off the best list I could find was this one from Forbes.  I wouldn't call any of them prominent and they're all clearly Trump fanboys.  Everything I've seen is those 70k accounts were nobodies.

The last I saw on here was that one website, AR15.com, is back up.

The banks and companies cutting off business/donations are cutting ties with Rs who voted to contest the election on the Hill.  An election, as already noted, that was clearly won by Biden and which has zero credible evidence to be challenged at this point (and all the same issues apply that I already stated - sowing uncertainty at a time when shit is already bad and could get a lot worse when you have nothing to stand on is pure idiocy and the businesses are tired of it).  Some companies did a blanket cut off of donations to all Republicans but that was until said companies could do a review of everything.  This isn't about culling Conservatism, it's about standing up to stupidity at this point and I can't find any fault with anyone but the Rs still foolish enough to go along with this asshatery. 

I have seen cases with 6 months and large legal team have the case tossed, because the evidence is inadmissible. Not sure how anyone can put together enough evidence of fraudulent practices in a couple of weeks, that would stand a court test. Trumps legal team also appears to be full of out of date high rollers and few worker bees, which certainly would not help. One can question how many people with ID, but not citizenship voted? The Dems have no interests in fixing the voting system as the weaknesses generally favour them. Plus the US election process is screwed up with 50 different sets of rules and systems. At the very least the whole system needs a cleanup and minimum standards that all States need to meet, particularly on electronic voting and mail in ballots. Fraud and voter manipulation has been the norm in democracies, not the exception, hence most of the existing rules like closing the pubs while the polls are open.