• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stuart Galbraith

• rmgill

• DKTanker

• Josh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm assuming Susan Collins was had the quiet blessing of the party to vote NO since her vote was not needed and it might hurt her re-election prospects (as both parties do regularly).  I wonder if she would have voted the same, had ACB's confirmation depended on her vote.

Edited by Mikel2

6 minutes ago, Mikel2 said:

I'm assuming Susan Collins was had the quiet blessing of the party to vote NO since her vote was not needed and it might hurt her re-election prospects (as both parties do regularly).  I wonder if she would have voted the same, had ACB's confirmation depended on her vote.

If her reelection chances rely upon her voting against the interests of her party, her party needs to cut her loose.  She could have cut the baby in half and abstained but, she deliberately voted against one of the most qualified jurists she's ever had the charge of sitting in judgement.

Collins is fucked either way. She either loses votes from ME-1 for voting for or loses votes from ME-2 for voting against. It seems unlikely she gets elected with that dynamic. I am a little surprised she didn't try to at least abstain, but I suppose that just looks like a weak cop out that pleases no one.

1 minute ago, Mikel2 said:

I don't disagree. But is Susan Collins the closest to a conservative Maine will vote for?  I don't know.

Yes. And it is a bad year to lose a senate seat. She still is generally considered to have a better chance than Tillis, McSally, or Gardner, but I have a hard time believing she can survive the SCOTUS vote.

9 hours ago, Josh said:

Yes. And it is a bad year to lose a senate seat. She still is generally considered to have a better chance than Tillis, McSally, or Gardner, but I have a hard time believing she can survive the SCOTUS vote.

It is all the lobster they eat, and the fact that they are almost Canadian.....

1 hour ago, Murph said:

New Executive Order allows for a faster draining of the swamp.  About time.  https://pjmedia.com/columns/stacey-lennox/2020/10/25/president-trump-opens-the-valve-to-drain-the-swamp-with-a-new-executive-order-n1086321  You just cannot get these f**kers fired for almost any reason.

Start with the BATFE.  They are considering regulations on rifle-caliber semi-auto pistols, AND imported handguns.

Forbes Estimates China Paid Trump At Least $5.4 Million Since He Took Office, Via Mysterious Trump Tower Lease

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexander/2020/10/23/forbes-estimates-china-paid-trump-at-least-54-million-since-he-took-office-via-mysterious-trump-tower-lease/#d26ecbaed11e

Donald Trump, who declared “I don’t make money from China” in Thursday night’s presidential debate, has in fact collected millions of dollars from government-owned entities in China since he took office. Forbes estimates that at least $5.4 million has flowed into the president’s business from a lease agreement involving a state-owned bank in Trump Tower.

Trump has other financial connections to China. The New York Times revealed Tuesday that the U.S. president has a bank account in China. His daughter, Ivanka Trump, received 41 Chinese trademarks from the time she was appointed a White House adviser in March 2017 to April 2019, according to an analysis of documents. The review also showed that the trademarks Ivanka applied for after her father’s inauguration got approved about 40% faster than those she sought out beforehand.

The last couple of sentences says rather more about the Chinese attitude to those with perceived influence than it does about possible influence exerted on her behalf. Is that unfair? Probably. Is that proof of a Trump abuse of office? Not really. Expediting her requests can be considered as a legitimate attempt by the Chinese to gain favour, but exactly how could Ivanka refuse the "gift"?

As far as I can tell, all the links and arguments pro Trump will not change anyones mind of him in here.

Has anyone of you considered putting the same effort into working in his campaign - in some form? Where it could possibly actually have some effect?

Because realistically I doubt Tanknet is a good platform reaching out to undecided US voters.