• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stuart Galbraith

• rmgill

• DKTanker

• Josh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm starting to believe the Donald has something else in mind. He twitts a crisis up, the markets go apeshit and take a dive, he buys up devalued stock and then his Tillersons & Co are allowed to patch up.

Some thoughts about where he said that nobody wants a war. That no side, not the US, North Korea, China, Russia, etc., want a war. I think he's not recognizing the conflict of interest between North Korea and the US. North Korea wants nuclear tipped BMs. The US does not want them to have nuclear tipped BMs. In the past 2 or 3 decades, North Korea's goal has been going piece by piece, step by step, and by now, all those pieces and steps have reached a point of getting close to achieving that goal. The US wants to stop it before reaching that goal. So even though nobody wants a war, when it comes to the final critical time where North Korea is just shy of accomplishing the goal, the desire to want to go to war can suddenly switch in place of the desire to avoid war.

Edited by JasonJ

Well, that settles that. Agent Orange strongly implied that if Kim No Dong even utters another threat toward the US, one of the possessions of the US, or an ally of the US, we be having ourselves a war.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/896095224690130944

The question is... what do we think Trump will do? Would he actually take us to war or is this nothing more than an Obama 'red line' moment for him?

It all depends on what the Norks think and do.

Does anyone here want the Norks threatening with their ICBMs everytime they have a food shortage and want a payoff?

They're like the neighborhood crack head who's suddenly gotten hold of a gun to protect his shitty little hovel from his brother with the big mansion (and every other person in the neighborhood who lives in a house). Up to now, when ever he needed a fix he'd mumble about kicking someones kids or break a window on a car, but now...hes wavi around a gun.

What happens if they fire 4 icbms at guam? What should happen?

If you were president, what would you do?

It all depends on what the Norks think and do.

Does anyone here want the Norks threatening with their ICBMs everytime they have a food shortage and want a payoff?

They're like the neighborhood crack head who's suddenly gotten hold of a gun to protect his shitty little hovel from his brother with the big mansion (and every other person in the neighborhood who lives in a house). Up to now, when ever he needed a fix he'd mumble about kicking someones kids or break a window on a car, but now...hes wavi around a gun.

What happens if they fire 4 icbms at guam? What should happen?

If you were president, what would you do?

What would I do? I would publicly dismiss Kim No Dong and regime as adolescents, I wouldn't give them the time of day. I certainly wouldn't make promises I had no intention of keeping. You might be eagerly anticipating a nuclear war, unless I'm sadly mistaken, the overwhelming majority of us do not. Privately, I honestly don't know. I don't have enough information about our own capabilities let alone those of NoRK. If you recall just a couple of short years ago all the NKs had were fizzles and it would be another 10-15 years before they would have anything small enough to put on a missile. And at that, no idea that the nukes would even work. Now we find out they probably have multiples of miniaturized nukes ICBM ready. Was the WH administration lying then, or is the new administration lying now?

Bottom line is this, with today's news that your Orange Messiah is now threatening to use military force against Venezuela, we're just one radio station attack away from a new war. Kind of odd, though, isn't it? Trump spent 18 months campaigning about his adoration and respect for strongmen and their dictatorships only to threaten war against two of them.

Just so I'm clear, the answer is to nuke NK if they so much as threatens to nuke a US interest.

In that case I'd advise using neutron bombs only otherwise the fallout on South Korea, Japan, China and Russia will gain you more friends than an entire Carnegie library network.

What would I do?

I'd do my best to channel Theodore Roosevelt and see what the Joints Chiefs and the SecDef have to say about this particular issue.

Strong talk towards the NORKS designed to cow them seems appropriate. Soft talk invites attack.

Any launches of Ballistic missiles at our possessions or allies would be responded to in proportion to their size with a view to eliminating their launch capabilities.

If they back down then we dial down on rhetoric.

yep, dialogue has had zero effect and they get enough stuff to keep the ruling class happy, so he does not care if his people starve. If even 2 nukes are exchanged, shipping the area is going to be paralyzed and scattering, the world economy will take a tumble for a bit, which China cannot afford, China knows they can reason with the US, but might take steps to deal with NK. China cannot afford to have a war on it's doorstep, even if it is not directly involved, shipping insurance rates will go up and and other freight costs.

Bottom line is this, with today's news that your Orange Messiah is now threatening to use military force against Venezuela

I had hoped this was a slip and you meant NK. Went and checked the web and... nope, you were right. The wires are blowing up with this right now. FFS... /facepalm

If you recall just a couple of short years ago all the NKs had were fizzles and it would be another 10-15 years before they would have anything small enough to put on a missile. And at that, no idea that the nukes would even work. Now we find out they probably have multiples of miniaturized nukes ICBM ready. Was the WH administration lying then, or is the new administration lying now?

Neither according to an interview I saw with a reporter who focuses on the US intel community. He said it was simply the intel community was overzealous with their conclusions regarding WMDs and Iraq. They stepped it back several notches afterwards so as not to repeat the same mistake but given recent events in NK they've realized they stepped it back too far.

Bottom line is this, with today's news that your Orange Messiah is now threatening to use military force against Venezuela

I had hoped this was a slip and you meant NK. Went and checked the web and... nope, you were right. The wires are blowing up with this right now. FFS... /facepalm

Yeah, but this was expected. Maduro went ahead with the constituent assembly, jailed the opposition designated Supreme Court and had been warned not to continue in his antics. He continued. This is neither irresponsible or reckless by Trump.

[...] Trump spent 18 months campaigning about his adoration and respect for strongmen and their dictatorships only to threaten war against two of them.

What did *you* think what would happen? Bulling between bullies. Never saw a silver-back gorilla in action?

Man, just be glad you didn't vote for Killary!

Yeah, but this was expected. Maduro went ahead with the constituent assembly, jailed the opposition designated Supreme Court and had been warned not to continue in his antics. He continued. This is neither irresponsible or reckless by Trump.

Trump just handed Maduro his greatest propaganda gift. Instant justification for repression, without any costs.

Strong talk towards the NORKS designed to cow them seems appropriate. Soft talk invites attack.

What attacks?

Oh, I don't know, being nice about cutting trees down. Border crossing incidents. At what point does acts of war foment war?

What attacks?

covert ops, sinking patrol ships, artillery strikes

So, DZ, you seem to be big on what Trump is doing wrong. How would you handle NK?

Not playing into Kim's escalation games, for a start. There's no need for the President of the United States to use the same language as the dictator of North Korea, so, scrap that "fire and fury" bullshit, because Kim is currently laughing his ass off about all the hysteria.

Instead, put out a press release that Guam is part of the United States, that it is the policy of the United States that any nuclear threat to its territory is subject to an immediate counter strike, and that the US military is prepared to defend its citizens. End of discussion.