tanknet.org

Mint Vs Ubuntu Vs Fedora Vs Debian Vs Opensuse Vs Others

Anyone using Fedora or one of its derivatives? I really don't like that there is no long term release version of Fedora for me to try out. As a buddy told me, Mint just works, and he is a hard core windows user who I converted to try MInt. He had a cryptominer system built and is going to run Mint.

An LTS train (Long Term Support) is kinda anaethema to the concept of Fedora; bleeding edge, compile today's code against tomorrow's libraries sort of thing.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stopped using Fedora after 17, let my wife use it as her daily for a long time. She ditched it because no netflix. Oh well. She swaped to Mint aferwards. After that lappy died she's been using Win 8.1 U3. Need to get her back on a proper distro. :P

Win 8.1? Good Lord, I hope you are making her sleep on the couch!

Does anyone have an LTS release based on Fedora?

Anyone using Fedora or one of its derivatives? I really don't like that there is no long term release version of Fedora for me to try out. As a buddy told me, Mint just works, and he is a hard core windows user who I converted to try MInt. He had a cryptominer system built and is going to run Mint.

An LTS train (Long Term Support) is kinda anaethema to the concept of Fedora; bleeding edge, compile today's code against tomorrow's libraries sort of thing.

I played with Slackware WAY back in the day. I later played with Gentoo. I've lived in Red Hat and Debian.

Mint just works. Game.

I have toyed with these too, back in the nineties early zeros. :)

There is also Suse Linux in its various incarnations. seems to have hit its stride by now and YAST (yet another setuo tool) seems to wrok now.. Also Mageia from the Red Hatted side of distros seems to be easy to use. The predecessors Mandrake and mandriva were easy imho.

Another vote for Mint with Cinnamon. I have recently put it on my old laptop. Works. Though i am looking into finding something slimmer still. Or maybe try to snag a bigger ram module off ebay or something.

there is also https://distrochooser.de/(is also in english language on the website) to select a distribution.

Stopped using Fedora after 17, let my wife use it as her daily for a long time. She ditched it because no netflix. Oh well. She swaped to Mint aferwards. After that lappy died she's been using Win 8.1 U3. Need to get her back on a proper distro. :P

Upgrade her Laptop to windows10. :D

Does anyone have an LTS release based on Fedora?

If you want a long-term support flavor in the Red Hat family for free (e.g. don't want to pay for RHEL), go with CentOS. If you are familiar and comfortable with Fedora, CentOS won't be that different, and you won't be chasing the update/upgrade tail every few months. It also won't have all the bells and whistles of current Fedora distros.

there is also https://distrochooser.de/(is also in english language on the website) to select a distribution.

For me it recommended Arch (63%). Which is evidence that the designer of the webscripting is one of Putin's henchmen, tasked with undermining American ingenuity and productivity. :ph34r:

And Slackware came in at 42%. :blink:

For me it recommended Arch (63%). Which is evidence that the designer of the webscripting is one of Putin's henchmen, tasked with undermining American ingenuity and productivity. :ph34r:

And Slackware came in at 42%. :blink:

It gave me Gentoo. WTFBBQ. Gentoo????? Because hitting myself in the head with a hammer feels sooo good when I stop?

Ahh .. yeah, no. Take that page with a grain of salt. It says Slackware "Installs only base operating system", when the opposite is true. Slackware is one of the few remaining "kitchen sink" distributions. The latest stable release installs 1322 packages up front -- ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/slackware/slackware64-14.2/PACKAGES.TXT

Ivanhoe, CT96, did you select "I know what systemd is and wish to avoid that" in section 14? That would predispose the answer towards Gentoo or Slackware, those being two of the most significant distributions without systemd (after Android).

Ivanhoe, CT96, did you select "I know what systemd is and wish to avoid that" in section 14? That would predispose the answer towards Gentoo or Slackware, those being two of the most significant distributions without systemd (after Android).

I did not. I am only vaguely aware of the shift to systemd, not having done any serious Linux work for the last 5 years or so (I work in a Microsoft-only environment at work; pity me). So I don't draw steel at the mention of systemd in a favorable light, nor do I fly into a rage at the mention of non-GNU software...

One of these days I need to read up on systemd, and why people are so touchy about it...

One of these days I need to read up on systemd, and why people are so touchy about it...

When that day rolls around, this is a pretty good place to start:

http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Executive summary: Some kids decided replacing a bunch of proven, well-working system components (init, syslog, inetd, cron, etc) would be easier than learning how POSIX works, so they did that, poorly. It failed to get much traction until they made udev dependent on it (used by most distributions to load device firmware).

that's pretty much systemd in a nutshell. I don't like it, but if I avoided everything I disliked, I would have no actual work.... nor change my son's diapers. Some things just are, and you learn to live with it.

• 2 weeks later...

When that day rolls around, this is a pretty good place to start:

http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Executive summary: Some kids decided replacing a bunch of proven, well-working system components (init, syslog, inetd, cron, etc) would be easier than learning how POSIX works, so they did that, poorly. It failed to get much traction until they made udev dependent on it (used by most distributions to load device firmware).

Yes, systemd seems to take over every function by now.

The old systemV inits are proven, but one must say that the old SystemV init has accumulated a lot of cruft, appendixes, tautologies in scripts being nearly close copies of each other etc. systemd set out to change that and make it better, but the project seems to go over the top and the lead programmers seem like very arrogant pricks. And they assimilate everything like the Borg from Star Trek.

there have been lots of SysVinit replacement over the years, but upstart was the only one with some traction through Ubuntu. The others seem to have died quietly. I really dont know, why systemd now gains support. Well it does some tings better, but others worse. Especially making many other packages dependant on it.

I really dont know, why systemd now gains support.

I wasn't kidding about udev. Systemd has taken over distributions through three main vectors:

• Red Hat sponsors the project (the project lead, Lennart Poettering is a Red Hat employee), so they put it in Fedora and RHEL, which caused it to trickle down to all of the RHEL derivatives (CentOS, Oracle, Scientific Linux, etc).
  • There was a tremendous political effort to get it pushed into Debian, which caused it to trickle down to the Debian derivatives (significantly, Ubuntu and its myriad derivatives, including Mint).
  • Most distributions use udev to load device drivers, so when udev became dependent on systemd, a slew of "other" distributions picked it up.
The branches of Linux distributions are mapped out here, and as you can see Debian and Red Hat are two of the three main roots, accounting for most of the world's distributions: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/Linux_Distribution_Timeline.svg

(For some reason the Red Hat logo isn't showing up next to their root .. it's the one below Slackware, above the various independent lines.)

There are still seventy'ish distributions not adopting systemd, including the most popular Linux distribution in the world (Android). About half of those distributions have either taken positive steps to resist systemd (such as adopting eudev) or publicly announced an intention to remain systemd-free.

I keep some relevant links here for easy reference: http://ciar.org/ttk/public/systemd.html

Edited by TTK Ciar

Wow. we are systemd. resistence is futile.

Yes lots of distros do not adopt it, but the main desktop distros are either redhat or debian based and thus they have taken most of the desktop which I use Linux for. Okay there are a NAS and my DSL router, but those two are cared for by their manufacturers. And so far I have been happy with the ease that debian is to make work. Click, install programme package. It runs. Well maybe I should look at SuSE again after nearly two decades. :unsure:

looking over your links the snobbish response to bugs in systemd are really not instilling trust in their competence.

Calling Android a Linux distribution is a bit of a stretch IMHO. The Linux serves mostly as the groundwork for running Java on top of it. And for this purpose they tailor the kernel and surrounding software to fit and thus can use whatever they want or need.

Edited by Panzermann

Calling Android a Linux distribution is a bit of a stretch IMHO. The Linux serves mostly as the groundwork for running Java on top of it. And for this purpose they tailor the kernel and surrounding software to fit and thus can use whatever they want or need.

What you say is true, but if you install Master Terminal and explore your device from the command line, you'll see it has a lot in common with other Linux distributions as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am kinda ashamed to ask such a noob question, but here goes:

How do I protect a Linux installation (more specifically, the boot sector) when playing Windows 10 onto the same HD in the same box? How do I prevent Windows from shooting my boot sector to shit? Windows always thinks it is all that and the user won't need anything else and you cannot boot Linux after playing Windows onto a Linux box...

I always did it the way around and saw that Linux preserves the box' ability to launch Windows, but now I have no choice but to put Windows onto a Linux machine for my wife.

Thanks, I'll try the option for GRUB re-installation tomorrow. Sad thing there's no no-risk option.

Edited by Blunt Eversmoke

You can mitigate the risk somewhat by installing Windows on a separate drive and then updating grub on the boot drive with the location of the Windows filesystem.