Joint Light Tactical Vehicles For The Uk

Dawes

Sounds like its replacing the Land Rovers. Kind of glad my father is dead at this point, he would be really annoyed about this, though Land Rover rather paved the way to it by ceasing production of the Defender line.

Hang on - how does the Land Rover Defender relate to JLTV?

Sounds like its replacing the Land Rovers. Kind of glad my father is dead at this point, he would be really annoyed about this, though Land Rover rather paved the way to it by ceasing production of the Defender line.

JLTV is designed to replace light tactical vehicles such as the Defender and armored Humvees.

UK MoD is still sorting through the hodgpodge potluck UOR purchases they have made the last fifteen years to standardize on less types.

Land Rovers will stay in service as your general purpose "jeep", but uparmouring them has its limits (see the Snatch debacle) and a purpose designed vehicle with a higher weight class is much better at the job. The interest has been there for some time a bigger lightly armoured mine resistant vehicle:

http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense/show-daily/eurosatory/2016/06/16/uk-talks-pentagon-jltv-buy/86011774/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=EBB%20Military%206.17.16&utm_term=Editorial%20-%20Military%20-%20Early%20Bird%20Brief

The Joint Light Tactical Vehicle could be in line to win its first export order even before the US Department of Defense makes a decision to order full rate production of the platform.
The UK’s Ministry of Defence has revealed it is in talks with the Pentagon, which might lead to a Foreign Military Sales (FMS) deal. The British Army is interested in acquiring the Oshkosh Defense vehicle, set to replace the Army and Marine Corps Humvees, to meet part of a requirement known as the Multi-Role Vehicle-Protected (MRV-P).
“We can confirm that we are talking to the US DOD regarding package 1 [of MRV-P], to inform our understanding of an FMS option for the Joint Light Tactical Vehicle,” said an MoD spokesman.

took a bout a year to jump the hoops. this ^^^^ news is from June last year.

So no more Foxhounds for the British Army then? Will there be a competition between various designs? I haven't really heard of such.

There was something of a scandal of the British Army doing patrols in Iraq and Afghanistan in very lightly armoured landrovers (Snatch's) and it was the Army's commitment to not use light vehicles for such roles before that I think (I dont know, this is my possibly incorrect impression) that has resulted in a rather better protected vehicle which this seems to fulfill. Im not even sure the Army will be buying any more softskin light utilities. Certainly cant from Land Rover at the moment anyway, we shall have to see whether the new defender released next year has any prospects in this area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snatch_Land_Rover

JLTV is designed to replace light tactical vehicles such as the Defender and armored Humvees.

Thanks - got that. The expertise required to build both is vastly different, though. Even the Snatch barely qualifies as protected. The Foxhound is a bit closer, performance-wise.

Australia evaluated the early prototype (and Right-hand drive models!) JLTV in 201-11, even competing them against Eagle, Foxhound, Panther (I think?) and Hawkei.

There was something of a scandal of the British Army doing patrols in Iraq and Afghanistan in very lightly armoured landrovers (Snatch's) and it was the Army's commitment to not use light vehicles for such roles before that I think (I dont know, this is my possibly incorrect impression) that has resulted in a rather better protected vehicle which this seems to fulfill. Im not even sure the Army will be buying any more softskin light utilities. Certainly cant from Land Rover at the moment anyway, we shall have to see whether the new defender released next year has any prospects in this area.

Thanks for the reply. I was aware of that - we had the same experience. Like you say, though, it's difficult to buy something that's not there, and the company, whilst having 4WD pedigree, has zero experience/capacity to deliver what is required.

G-wagon, while replacing Land Rover down here, is deemed 'non deployable' due to its lack of protection. Effectively, the deployable "Land Rover" fleet comprises 1,100 Hawkei vehicles, designed in Australia in response to Army's preference for JLTV. Australia's proposed JLTV fleet was to be RHD, with the evaluation prototypes delivered as such, as we co-funded the early development.

Politics won though, and the politically-inserted "local option" was selected after Thales managed to get the JLTV advocate shipped to Afghanistan to get him out of the way!

UK MoD is still sorting through the hodgpodge potluck UOR purchases they have made the last fifteen years to standardize on less types.

Land Rovers will stay in service as your general purpose "jeep", but uparmouring them has its limits (see the Snatch debacle) and a purpose designed vehicle with a higher weight class is much better at the job. The interest has been there for some time a bigger lightly armoured mine resistant vehicle:

Indeed. There were a number of somewhat successful South African (I believe) designs like the Casspir and the Mamba which were based on rather conventional chassis-types (the Mamba using a Unimog one which are quite common in the UK already). Would a vehicle based along these lines - or even a modified example - be accepted by the UK MOD?

Or maybe it would be yet another case of NIH?

I think they'll be buying more Stuart, but only for use "inside the wire" or in WW3.

I guess it depends on what kind of vehicle Land Rover come up with Chris. If its like a cut down version of the Range Rover, Ive got a feeling we might end up buying G wagens.

Ford Rangers would be my bet.

Trying to find the link - apparently the "world-beating" (god I hate that term: filed alongside "step-change" & "impact") Foxhound was three times the price of the JLTV!!

Foxhound came dead last in the Manufactured and Supported in Australia (MSA) competitive evaluation against Eagle V, Hawkei, and a couple of others. Maybe the price tag was the world-beating step-change? It certainly had quite an impact!

I guess it depends on what kind of vehicle Land Rover come up with Chris. If its like a cut down version of the Range Rover, Ive got a feeling we might end up buying G wagens.

The Dutch went for VW Amoraks, IIRC? The G banger can be pretty pricey. Maybe overkill.

"Joint LIGHT Tactical Vevicle" is somewhat optomistic for something that weighs around 14,000 pounds.

That's in essence a 2.5 ton cargo truck as a light vehicle.

How long before there's a demand for a light soft skin runabout that doesn't consume fuel at 10 mpg?

then the British Forces can buy a bunch of Mahindra Boleros under contract for MOD...

Edited by rmgill

"Joint LIGHT Tactical Vehicle" is somewhat optimistic for something that weighs around 14,000 pounds.

That's in essence a 2.5 ton cargo truck as a light vehicle.

How long before there's a demand for a light soft skin runabout that doesn't consume fuel at 10 mpg?

then the British Forces can buy a bunch of Mahindra Boleros under contract for MOD...

That demand won't be back for a long while. British and American combat troops are very hard targets and going after support forces is much easier for insurgents. Given that, the JLTV is likely to have a good long service life. Light softskin vehicles have no place in service outside of safe countries and military bases in US and UK service.

Indeed. There were a number of somewhat successful South African (I believe) designs like the Casspir and the Mamba which were based on rather conventional chassis-types (the Mamba using a Unimog one which are quite common in the UK already). Would a vehicle based along these lines - or even a modified example - be accepted by the UK MOD?

Or maybe it would be yet another case of NIH?

UK had some Mambas that were sold to estonia. we used it for EOD work in Afgh. and as ´´ambassadors of goodwill, winning hearts and minds of locals , where-ever that clown car appeared, wildly swinging in every way´´ -due to its high center-of-gravity and suspension. that was a quote from someone who used it in afgh

It's a frikken runabout vehicle for light personnel moves and load carrying tasks. The more complex you make these things the more they're going to be deadlined due to mechanical faults and other issues. SIMPLE.

Ford Rangers would be my bet.

Yeah, I had a look at those a couple of years back when we were in the market for a car my father could get in and out of. We opted for a Kuga in the end, but Rangers looked quite nice vehicles. Rough ride apparently but then anyone whom has been using a Land Rover for any period is probably not going to sweat that so much.

It's a frikken runabout vehicle for light personnel moves and load carrying tasks. The more complex you make these things the more they're going to be deadlined due to mechanical faults and other issues. SIMPLE.

Says the country that moved on from the M151 and adopted the Hummer. :P