New Build Upcoming

Murph

To be fair, I *am* contemplating building a Windows 10 Gaming Rig... but with a newly arrived little one, finding time/energy/funding for such a pursuit seems to be off the table right now. I'll be sticking to my Dell Alienware running Mint and the games that will work on that. Your experiences on this build are sapping my desire to do so as well.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i just hate the whole OS, it was garbage in beta, and it is now evolved into a nearly free to use botnet + OS who spends every waking moment doing way more than an OS ought to do. Call me a minimalist but MS doesn't need 150MB Of metadata about my PC. I'm quite simply never switching, and i hope they screw the pooch on DX 12 adoption because DX 11 is dying in PC gaming. THe single threaded draw call has been the weakness of DX 11 on PC and its death has been a long time in coming. It's also why Nvidia entirely redid their DX 11 implementation and AMD did not (Which is a major factor in why a lot of titles run better on team green when similar power cards from team red run worse)

I'll put my money on Vulkan because its what the tech world needs. I'm tired of the stagnation and lack of competition.

My Alienware came with Windows 10 installed. I had maybe 20GB of free space on the first drive (SDD). I blew it away and installed Mint. I had over 100GB free (120GB drive).

I can't say definitively that it ran faster... as I ran Windows 10 on that system for all of about 5 minutes. Mint is doing everything I need it to, and then some. And I don't have to deal with M$ and their B$.

I know, but I have to have photoshop. Otherwise I would go 100% MInt. BTW the upgrade to Mint 18.2 on the laptop was painless. I am using it right now to type this, since i am running Memtest86+ for the next 8 hours on my desktop.

Do you have the B350 board? i heard there is a fresh BIOS for it

Actually I have the X370 Gaming K7, and I just updated it to the F4 bios. I ran Memtest86+ for 12 hours and got no errors. The good people over at 10 forums are scratching their heads as well since nothing is consistent in the errors.

There might be some light at the end of the tunnel. Victoria was able to play Ghost Recon:Wildlands last night with no crashes. Now that does not mean that it will not just blow up today, but it is a hopeful sign.

Ok, I have no idea what happened, but the system has been utterly stable for the past couple of days. I am waiting for it to just completely melt down, but I have a glimmer of hope.

Did you wife use Holy Water on it?

From the deep dark ancient past of Computer Debugging:

"Getting a SCSI chain working is perfectly simple
if you remember that there must be exactly three terminations:
one on one end of the cable, one on the far end,
and the goat,
terminated over the SCSI chain
with a silver-handled knife whilst burning *black* candles."

-- Anthony DeBoer

"SCSI is *not* magic. There are *fundamental* *technical* *reasons*
why you have to sacrifice a young goat to your SCSI chain
every now and then."

--John F. Woods (<script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript">/* */</script>)

Edited by CT96

Yep, and lit a candle. This just causes me to be just totally confused, but that is what Windows does....

Ok, I have no idea what happened, but the system has been utterly stable for the past couple of days. I am waiting for it to just completely melt down, but I have a glimmer of hope.

Did you wife use Holy Water on it?

I think I have a bad motherboard. A large number of the crashes come when something is plugged into the front USB ports on the case (Corsair C70), and it did not recognize my USB drives the other day, but they worked when plugged into the back of the case. I think I am going to get rid of the Gigabyte X370 Gaming K7 and get an ASUS Crosshair Hero VI as soon as I can get the $$$ to make the replacement. F**k, I hate this sh*t. Plus the Gigabyte will not allow me to install Linux at all, and I want to get Mint 18.2 up and running on this system.

F**K F**K F**K! Well after a small panic, and another crash (this time the intel NIC), and winders not letting me re-install, I am now doing a fresh installation of Winders. If it keeps crashing, then I will get the ASUS Crosshair VI Hero and sh*tcan the gigabyte. Pissing me off badly. I thought format and re-installs were from the bad old days of Winders.

Well this is odd, now instead of displaying to Aorus logo as the little circle goes around before the log in screen, I get the Winders icon. Never had that before. Running bog standard Winders drivers for everything.

I am cautiously optimistic based on things so far. Bog standard windows installation, iTunes, LibreOffice, Steam, Chrome and Firefox. Victoria played Deus Ex:Mankind Divided, and Rise of the Tomb Raider yesterday, I played Civ V, and Beyond Earth yesterday and today. I replaced her controller with a Logitech F310 hooked into the rear USB ports. I have added no other drivers, or programs. Keep the fingers (and toes) crossed......

Ok, I think I got it down to three causes:

A) A linux installation that did not go well.

B) Driver issues with my daughters x-box controller (3rd party)

C) Some other unknown driver issues

Solution (Painful): straight up WIndows re-installation after formatting the drives, NO DRIVERS OTHER THAN WINDERS ISSUE, and a Logitech F310 X-box controller since Logitech seems to just work.

New Nvidia drivers, somehow my daughter managed to overclock the system although I am baffled how she managed to do it. I am having to request permission to get some computer time on my own system since she is always wanting to use it to play Ghost Recon, and others.

New Nvidia drivers, somehow my daughter managed to overclock the system although I am baffled how she managed to do it. I am having to request permission to get some computer time on my own system since she is always wanting to use it to play Ghost Recon, and others.

Bwahahahahahahaha

Erm.

Maybe I will get permission to use my microphone again at some time in the future.

BIOS code 40 seems to mean something. If I am running Chrome/iTunes and have 40, sometimes both will randomly shut down and that means I have a couple of seconds before a BSOD shows up. So as soon as that happens, reboot instantly. If code A0 shows, it seems stable.

• 2 weeks later...