Because, Nordic Countries

Yama

3 hours ago, Adam Peter said:

I think burnt wood is healthier than metal vapors.

At 50...35km altitude, the noxious effect on the biosphere of a cube sat burning up during reentry is negligible. If it was a Death Star under construction (à la Endor Holocaust) on the other hand, yeah, that would be a problem. But it might just as well collapse under its own gravity (and so would a wooden Death Star).

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be interested in the issues surrounding outgassing of wood and indeed some composite materials. You can ruin optics and also mess with fine pointing because of the micro-levels of thrust generated.

Vacuum drying on earth can only go so far.

Vacuum drying in space could go farthest, on the other hand. Perhaps there are ways to accelerate that, and achieve a dramatic reduction of outgassing effects when there is nothing to outgas.

Edited by sunday

• 1 month later...

Great work everyone, really great work. Look what you have done now, you finally pushed the Swedes over the brink.

Abba reunite for Voyage, first new album in 40 years

Swedish hitmakers to release album of brand new material in November, and digital avatars will appear in London concert residency in 2022

Ben Beaumont-Thomas and Mark Brown

Thu 2 Sep 2021 18.00 BST

One of the most anticipated comebacks in pop culture has finally come to pass: the return of Abba.

Forty years after the bitter songs written in the wake of two band divorces for their last album, 1981’s The Visitors, the Swedish pop quartet has reunited for Voyage, an album of brand new songs that will be released on 5 November – including, they say, a Christmas song. Two tracks from it, the stately and epic ballad I Still Have Faith in You and the shimmying Don’t Shut Me Down, are out now.

The group – Benny Andersson, Agnetha Fältskog, Anni-Frid Lyngstad and Björn Ulvaeus – have also announced a new concert experience in London, also called Voyage, beginning in May 2022. Digital versions of themselves (not holograms, their team asserted) will appear nightly alongside a 10-piece live band at a new 3,000-capacity venue in the city’s Olympic park, called the Abba Arena. Tickets go on general sale on Tuesday 7 September.

[...]

Both the concert and album have been mooted for some time. The avatar concept – or “Abbatars” as Ulvaeus has called them – was announced in 2016 by music manager Simon Fuller (who is not involved with the 2022 iteration). In 2017, Andersson elaborated on the project, saying: “It will take a bit of time, it takes time to digitalise a face. It’s fun that it’s so technologically advanced.” In 2018, a TV show featuring the avatars was announced, co-produced by the BBC and NBC, which has not yet been aired.

The group also announced that meeting up for the project had “an unexpected consequence. We all felt that, after some 35 years, it could be fun to join forces again and go into the recording studio. So we did. And it was like time had stood still and we had only been away on a short holiday. An extremely joyful experience!”

Two songs were initially written and recorded, including I Still Have Faith in You, but their release was pushed back to early 2019, then late 2019, but never emerged. Since then the group have continued writing and recording, eventually ending up with a full album of material.

[...]

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/sep/02/abba-reunite-for-voyage-first-new-album-in-40-years

They forced their latest composition into my ears this morning during the visit to the supermarket (you can already sense the full might of the marketing machine, buying air time in supermarket announcements... it's got to become a hit, it just has to), and although I'm not an ABBA hater I basically thought "Meh" and have forgotten that tune already. Wasn't objectionable, just ... okay.

Nobody listens, but I have been asserting that we are going to re-do the 1970s. Gas crisis, deficit spending, inflation, all of it. Including Abba.

Why knows. Mozart didn't end in an anonymous pauper's grave because he had an income problem.

That the marketing machine is running at top RPM tells me that some people are very much invested in commercial success, and aren't doing it for fun or artistic expression alone.

Still streets ahead of most modern Artists. In fact, the older I get, the more I seem to appreciate ABBA, not because they were that good, though I certainly did like them. It just reflects how miserable most modern music seems to be by comparison. Rock is largely dead unless you are a heavy metal viking with a hearing impediment. New Age is dead. Even Rap seems in a cul de sac. What else is left but retro disco? Well I guess there is Glenn Miller, but I daresay we will get to that.

There certainly is a trend right now for retro. As I was driving right now I saw a 1950's Citroen van that are proving quite popular with small business holders today. They strip out the old engine and gearbox, and put in a 2000's Ford Transit engine and gearbox. Seriously popular at the moment.  Then there are novels and films like Ready Player One which seemed to receive a warm welcome. Major high street stores like HMV go tits up, and the only music shops left on the high street sell records. Near where I live, someone actually has setup a coffee shop with 8 bit home computers and games consoles, so people can go and relive their childhood whilst getting a caffeine fix.

You can look at it from two points of view, either there is a dearth of new talent and creativity, meaning we are left with celebrating even fairly banal chunks of the past. Or our future looks so miserable, the past looks so much brighter.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith

35 minutes ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

Still streets ahead of most modern Artists. In fact, the older I get, the more I seem to appreciate ABBA, not because they were that good, though I certainly did like them. It just reflects how miserable most modern music seems to be by comparison. Rock is largely dead unless you are a heavy metal viking with a hearing impediment. New Age is dead. Even Rap seems in a cul de sac. What else is left but retro disco? Well I guess there is Glenn Miller, but I daresay we will get to that.

There certainly is a trend right now for retro. As I was driving right now I saw a 1950's Citroen van that are proving quite popular with small business holders today. They strip out the old engine and gearbox, and put in a 2000's Ford Transit engine and gearbox. Seriously popular at the moment.  Then there are novels and films like Ready Player One which seemed to receive a warm welcome. Major high street stores like HMV go tits up, and the only music shops left on the high street sell records. Near where I live, someone actually has setup a coffee shop with 8 bit home computers and games consoles, so people can go and relive their childhood whilst getting a caffeine fix.

You can look at it from two points of view, either there is a dearth of new talent and creativity, meaning we are left with celebrating even fairly banal chunks of the past. Or our future looks so miserable, the past looks so much brighter.

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10055359/Cartoonist-survived-two-murder-attempts-drawing-Prophet-Mohammed-killed-car-crash.html

Swedish cartoonist who survived two murder attempts after drawing the Prophet Mohammed is killed in mystery car crash along with his two police protection officers

• Lars Vilks, 75, killed in crash in Markaryd, Sweden just before 3pm on Sunday 
  • He received numerous threats to his life after drawing prophet with dog's body
  • A lone gunman targeted him at a cafe in 2015  but he managed to escape bullets

•  

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Markus Becker said:

A 30 something Dane killed 5 and wounded 2 in Kongsberg* near-ish Oslo ... with bow and arrow!

*Isn't that where they made Krags? 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10091051/Norway-bow-arrow-attacker-convert-Islam.html

7 hours ago, Markus Becker said:

A 30 something Dane killed 5 and wounded 2 in Kongsberg* near-ish Oslo ... with bow and arrow!

*Isn't that where they made Krags? 

Quite correct, still going strong as Kongsberg Defence and Aerospace (NSM, JSM, NASAM, RWS etc).

2 hours ago, BansheeOne said:

Damn Norwegian Danish Muslim indians. 

He was known to the police! Small time criminal seeking redemption by going jihad? Same story as often before, different place and date. In any case not well connected or connected at all given his choice of weaponry. 

I wonder what a decent crossbow is going for these days. 

4 hours ago, BansheeOne said:

Damn Norwegian Danish Muslim indians. 

Danish man charged after five killed in Norway bow-and-arrow attack

Convert to Islam arrested over assault that ‘appears to be act of terrorism’, says intelligence service

Seems that only the indian part is incorrect.

To Germans, bow and arrow are very much associated with native Americans, thanks to post-war US cultural imperialism (like, classic Western movies), and maybe even more so, Karl May novels. Of course, they were used globally since at least the neolithic age, we all know that.