Because, Nordic Countries

Yama

It's high time that the Nordics, homeland of gloomy detectives, healthcare and progressive taxation, get their own thread. Nordic region might seem strange and complicated for unitiated but is actually easy to understand. This is a land which has given world awesome concepts like Nobel prize, three-point seatbelts and kalsarikännit.

To kick off the thread, this year Finland turns 100 and appropriate celebrations are in the pipeline. Part of it was series of collector coins which depicted various Finnish institutions and events. First coin was meant to commemorate early years of Finnish independence, including 1918 Civil War, and the artist was given relatively free hands:

It's a 5 euro coin which shows a firing squad in action. It was not well received and the Mint had to pull it immediately. Minister of Finance (who approved the designs) defended himself with that he didn't have time to really check the entries and see what he was signing.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a 5 euro coin which shows a firing squad in action. It was not well received and the Mint had to pull it immediately. Minister of Finance (who approved the designs) defended himself with that he didn't have time to really check the entries and see what he was signing.

How on earth did that design make it that far?? :blink:

How on earth did that design make it that far?? :blink:

Concept was called "Other side of the coin" where heads would show something positive, and tails something negative which Finland has overcome. I think nobody was really paying attention what the artist was saying :P

Too bad it's cancelled, I'm sure it would have really sold out quickly and actually become collectible (which isn't usually case with these coins).

Edited by Yama

What? Its got a forest, rifles, people about to die. Looks great to me.

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Would kill to get coin

If any of the minted coins get out numismatics are going to kill for these. Gonna fetch highest prices at auctions a few years down. And make great conversation pieces. Morbid stories are always good.

What? Its got a forest, rifles, people about to die. Looks great to me.

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Would kill to get coin

If any of the minted coins get out numismatics are going to kill for these. Gonna fetch highest prices at auctions a few years down. And make great conversation pieces. Morbid stories are always good.

Yep. :)