tanknet.org

There can be a significant difference between the ships you enjoy playing most and the ships with which you win the most.

I favourite ship class is probably Cruisers, primarily because the speed and rate of fire keeps you involved with enough armour and HP to allow for occasional mistakes (Pensacola notwithstanding).

However, I perform best, it seems, with BBs.

Speaking of which, I've just unlocked Bismarck and even utterly stock it seems awesome. Right now, my new favourite ship.

I find some of the premium ships to be the most fun to play (like Dunkerque and the supreme devine Okhotnik), some of the ordinary ones are just a chore, especially the japanese destroyer line where several tiers above 6 are almost just the same ship class with small differences.

Cruisers

There are very few I can't find something to like about, the Germans being one line I just couldn't get to grips with and the Atlanta doesn't shine in my hands either.

Murmansk is always fun, I quite like the Fiji, the Aoba was my most effect ship for ages, Des Moine is amusing, I didn't mind the Pensacola, Mogami can be deadly but I miss the pre-nerf 6" monster, even the Cleveland can still be a laugh

shane

Having just managed to ditch the Furutaka in favour of the Aoba i have to say i`m in love, sort of, this is one sweet ship. Only the angle of the torps is the bad thing as they cannot be used in any forward facing angle, either 90 degrees straight out or angle to the rear.

• 8 months later...

Moving on, my "best" ship is Nelson - I splurged the FreeXP that I'd been building up for Missouri, which sadly I'm not going to be able to get before it goes away.

I've got 20 games in it, 15 wins. the tactic is to push a bit into a position, then bow tank in reverse smashing everything in sight with those 16" guns. If they try to burn you down, the RN BB Superheal takes over and suddenly you've got half or more of the damage done back.

It's a case in point of what ships you do well in, versus those you enjoy. It's only fun for a very few games, then it becomes tedious. The only real counter to Nelson at Tier 7 is HE spam to destroy its AA then flanking torpedo attacks. Meanwhile, it's wrecked anything that comes into range. I destroyed a Yorck at knife-fighting range in two salvos, dodging his torps. Even my one secondary hit did 3100 AP damage (!)

Of course, it's outmatched at higher tiers, but not embarrassed by them.

Onto current favourite... Which seems to be La Galissonnière, bizarrely. I succeed when I'm using it, and it just seems to work. I enjoyed the Emile Bertin, too - that speed was crazy.

I find DDs too stressful to play, but my Farragut is performing well enough, when it has to.

With the current ranked season, I found new love for Kagero and her weeb sister, Harekaze. While they suck at direct cap contest, they can build a beautiful wall of skill and make enemy ships pay for it. Best played when there are 2 DD/team, "active" DD goes with main force to cap one zone, me in torpedo spammer blocking the other zone...