Gerald R. Ford Starting Sea Trials

shep854

http://taskandpurpose.com/navy-futuristic-aircraft-carrier-uss-gerald-ford/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=tp-today&utm_content=image

"The USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78), America’s futuristic new aircraft carrier, will finally hit the open water for sea trials this week, the Navy confirmed to Business Insider.

"The ship and crew have already completed a pier side dry run of operations in Newport News, Virginia, and will hit the seas later this week to test out its most basic functions."

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a good class. Haven't seen the kind of criticism about it like some of the other new naval ship classes have.

Is that true? I was reading something the other day (I thought on here but not finding it atm) discussing all the issues with the class (basically 'designing it as they build it'). I don't follow Navy issues that closely so I don't know if the issues were specific to the Ford or more of the same for the Navy.

Looks like a good class. Haven't seen the kind of criticism about it like some of the other new naval ship classes have.

Is that true? I was reading something the other day (I thought on here but not finding it atm) discussing all the issues with the class (basically 'designing it as they build it'). I don't follow Navy issues that closely so I don't know if the issues were specific to the Ford or more of the same for the Navy.

I can't say for sure. The carrier class has somehow been spared from the typical TN scrutiny treatment.

I've read that were issues with the new electro-magnetic catapults. Since this is a brand new tech application, that should not be too surprising.

Before we resurrect Hornet and Saratoga [an IJN submarine torpedo magnet for most of the critical part of the war], we need to have a new Lexington. If we factor in the performance of WWII air groups with their carriers, we should equate Enterprise and Yorktown. Just ask our fellow TNetter, RLeonard, if in doubt.

Considering the shortages of hulls and the modern love of synergy and branding I suggest:

General George C. Thurgood/Thorogood Marshall

That way we honor a General, a Justice and a Bluesman all in one shot. ;)

Considering the original concept and designation of carriers in the US Navy was an 'aircraft carrying cruiser-- CV=Cruiser (C) Fixed-wing aircraft (V), the Japanese designation of their carriers as 'destroyers' makes a bit of (whimsical) sense. :P

If we are to reprise the "major American battles" naming scheme, I suggest "USS Super Bowl LI."

Plenty of good names out there. USS Ark Royal for example.

Im just saying....

Will have to admit, Her Majesty's Navy had some impeccable aircraft carrier names. The Glorious class and the Illustrious class come to mind first. Also some majestic battleship names.