tanknet.org

Russia Will Supply T-90Ms Battle Tanks To A Country In The Middle East

Well 'back in the day' the Algerians used to boast (along with Syria & Iraq) that the USSR would sell them better weapons systems than even some members of the Warsaw Pact.

It is not surprising because Algerians and other non Warsaw Pact used to pay in cash.

Given that Egypt is building most of the components of their M1A1s/A2s themselves,

As I understand Egypt builds certain components and does the final assembly, but most components are manufactured in US.

They've been touting 75% or so made in Egypt. But that could just be by weight. I'm not sure so I'm going to refrain from speculation so as to avoid putting my foot in my mouth. :unsure:

Does Iran have a delegation at IDEX2017? Either way, strikes me that they don't do business this way (announcing purchases at big ticket events). My money's on Kuwait. But I'll be annoyed if it turns out to be Algeria because they do sometimes get lumped in with ME counties thanks to Arabic being the majority language.

They are barred from buying most conventional weapons until 2020. They are in the midst of negotiating a rather large arms deal with Russia rumored to be around 10 billion dollars, but that will probably take a while to implement and my guess is that it won't be announced until the arms embargo is lifted.

Kuwait? They have lot's of M1s. Why not buy more of the same. Simpler logistics and the new US administration is very likely to sell given their anti Iran views.

They've been looking for an M-84 replacement for a while now so I figured this might be it. On reflection, however, you're probably right, they do have all those M1s.

So who then? UAE, Iraq, Qatar, Oman...?

Well 'back in the day' the Algerians used to boast (along with Syria & Iraq) that the USSR would sell them better weapons systems than even some members of the Warsaw Pact.

It is not surprising because Algerians and other non Warsaw Pact used to pay in cash.

Given that Egypt is building most of the components of their M1A1s/A2s themselves,

As I understand Egypt builds certain components and does the final assembly, but most components are manufactured in US.

I mean they got the 'real' stuff, not downgraded 'monkey models'