Countering Uav's And Drones

I imagine with the footage coming out of Iraq of ISIS using drones to drop explosives on those fighting them, it is only going to drive the development of anti drone and anti UAV technology even more.

Here is something that is being fielded by the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8aZ0zWX3SA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_1956172487&feature=iv&src_vid=P8aZ0zWX3SA&v=d5i9vgPdiVk

Certain countermeasures exist and are available on the market. However, these seem to be far from foolproof, especially hard kill systems in built up areas. An explosive packed drone is in essence a DIY TV-guided munition, even capable for pop-up manoeuvres to stay out of sight during the approach and popping up to identify the target just before impact. Jamming popular operating frequencies during public events may result in general disruption of civilian / official communications in these areas.

Edited by Daan

They're not the most robust nor fast designs. How about just your WW2 AA with proximity fuse?

Ammo count. You can zap the skies almost infinitely with lasers, most limitators are energy and heating. You can't burst the skies too long with AAA, you will run out of ammo anyway.

I imagine this is a place lasers will really shine if they ever get fully weaponized.

They're not the most robust nor fast designs. How about just your WW2 AA with proximity fuse?

I am not sure a 35mm AHEAD round is cheaper than your typical drone.

Well, cost itself is not an issue. See Iron Dome intercepting Grad rockets. If you can save tank for 5kk$ using 10k$ round against 600$ drone - this is still a good trade. Promlem is amount of drones that you might need to intercept.

Well, cost itself is not an issue. See Iron Dome intercepting Grad rockets. If you can save tank for 5kk$ using 10k$ round against 600$ drone - this is still a good trade. Promlem is amount of drones that you might need to intercept.
Cost is not the issue but collateral damage would be. These systems are are for protecting high value targets and those don't tend to Be in areas with low population density and low property values so even firing twelve gauge rounds which might be better option than 35mm ahead rounds might not be a option. Edited by Wobbly Head

• 3 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...