Us Army Selects The Sig Sauer Offering As New Pistol (Xm17 Mhs)

Supposedly a variant of the P320, a beefy pistol with a high bore axis.

Army: Your new handgun will be a Sig Sauer

Army Times By: Meghann Myers, January 19, 2017

Half a decade into its search for a new handgun, the Army has chosen Sig Sauer's version of the Modular Handgun System, according to a Thursday announcement from the Army.

The new sidearm will replace the M9 Beretta, the Army's pistol of choice for more than 30 years.

"I am tremendously proud of the Modular Handgun System team," said Army acquisition executive Steffanie Easter in the release. "By maximizing full and open competition across our industry partners, we have optimized private sector advancements in handguns, ammunition and magazines and the end result will ensure a decidedly superior weapon system for our warfighters."

The Army first announced the competition for the MHS back in 2011, but multiple delays left the most recent solicitation deadline at February of 2016.

Sig Sauer beat out Smith & Wesson, Beretta and Glock for the contract worth up to $580 million, which includes firearms, accessories and ammunition.

The Army did not immediately provide any additional information Thursday evening, including specifics on the weapon or the caliber of the round.

"As MHS moves forward into operational testing, the due diligence taken by all of the stakeholders will ensure a program that remains on-budget and on-schedule," Easter said.

After operational testing, the new pistol should be fielded this year, according to the release.

While the Beretta M9 has been the Army's pistol since 1985, the military uses other handguns, including Sig Sauers, particularly in special operations. Green Berets regularly use Glock 9mm pistols, and last year Marine Special

Operations allowed use of the 9mm Glock 19. Navy SEALs generally use the Sig Sauer P226 and, on occasion, Heckler & Koch's .45-caliber HK45C.

https://www.armytimes.com/articles/army-your-new-handgun-will-be-a-sig-sauer

Also corroborated by other sources: Jane's, American Rifleman.

EDIT: DoD confirms:

Sig Sauer Inc., Newington, New Hampshire, was awarded a $580,217,000 firm-fixed-price contract for the Modular Handgun System including handgun, accessories and ammunition to replace the current M9 handgun. Bids were solicited via the Internet with nine received. Work locations and funding will be determined with each order, with an estimated completion date of Jan. 19, 2027. Army Contracting Command, Picatinny Arsenal, New Jersey, is the contracting activity (W15QKN-17-D-0016).

https://www.defense.gov/News/Contracts/Contract-View/Article/1054538

Edited by Daan

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope the 320 is better than the 226 that our police have got. They have been cracking and I would guess that the US military will be firing a LOT more than the Swedish police.

(R

What happened to the requirement for US service pistols to have an exposed hammer?

iirc the requirements demanded a striker fired pistol (or pistols) for the MHS program.

Ok, thanks.

So are they going back to the .45acp ?

No.

Why should they? Lots of 9 mm in inventory and commonality with allies. Wounding is even worse with .45 full metal jacket than 9 Para (the US Army found in the fifties) and as with rifles hitting vital organs is key. less rounds in the magazine, heavier, bigger pistols. And pistols are what for soldiers? Tertiary weapons? A back up when all else fails. And I dont see many cavalry horses to be dropped nowadays.

I would like to see the test results published. No need to classify these imho. Didn't the US Army publish the results of the M1911 tests and selection a hundred years ago?

Seems like a good choice but does anybody know what the Beretta offering was?

All other things being equal I'd have to doubt that 9mm FMJ is more lethal than .45 FMJ. 9mm out of a pistol may be more than adequate with hollow-point ammunition but doesn't some ancient treaty prevent the use of that for the military?

Back when my father was a cop 9mm had such a dreadful reputation that their PD and others went over to .45 ACP. Considering how rarely handguns are used it seems like having confidence in the weapon is just as important as the weapon itself.

Back when my father was a cop 9mm had such a dreadful reputation that their PD and others went over to .45 ACP. Considering how rarely handguns are used it seems like having confidence in the weapon is just as important as the weapon itself.

Early ammo for both 9x19 and .45 ACP was dreadful. Thus the "miracle" of Super Vel;

http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammo/the-legend-of-super-vel-ammo/

Marine riflemen carried pistols routinely during the assault and clearing of 2d Battle of Fallujah; CQ fighting saw many reverting to pistol or knife in house clearing, especially if rifle jammed at awkward moment. I was shocked when USMC announced a couple of years later that USMC would cut pistols from inf bn armories. Don't know where we are now. Is Echo Five Mike reading this thread?

Edited by Ken Estes

All other things being equal I'd have to doubt that 9mm FMJ is more lethal than .45 FMJ...

If you are limited to FMJ as military is, more velocity beats more mass up the point. 7.62x25mm with FMJ makes nastier wound channel than either 9mm or .45 with FMJ.

It would be almost ideal military caliber if it did not cause problems with double stack mags - they are either too long and wide (for optimal feed they need to be trapezoid), needing too large grips or if using standard box shape they suck reliability wise.

So, 9mm is probably a best compromise for military, provided it is not handicapped with anemic loading, like most of US made ammo which is loaded on lower end of scale.

For civilian use, .45 is "better" if you accept a limit of lower mag capacity and have good ammo choice.

Edited by bojan

It will be interesting to see it this decision will stand given your new President's imposition of two rules, one of which is to only buy American. Surely the US can come up with a serviceable handgun for its forces?