Late Period Rhodesian War Memoirs

Guys, I got several Rhodesian War Memoirs but all of the authors were members of major units like the RLI; I was wondering if anybody who was a late war conscript, a reservist or one of those 'last dregs of manpower' that were mobilized late in the war may have written anything?

Thanks ahead of time

NM

Ping Peter Grant, he may know of some. I'll ask one of my friends who was RLI iinm.

Thanks; forgive me for asking but is Peter Grant a poster on this 'grate site' or is he an author?

Peter Grant isn't here. I wish he was. He'd be an interesting perspective. Yet another 'not of Sam who is of Sam' as it were. I suspect he'd give some of the liberals fits.

Peter has his own blog. http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.comHe's also a Sci-Fi Writer. He's an interesting fellow. Fought in the South African Military. Moved to the US. Became a priest, worked in the prison system and was medically retired from there after getting stabbed in the spine. Now he lives in Texas with his Aviator Wife (Dorothy) who flew herself down from Alaska in her own, rebuilt (by her) Piper Cub.

My friend Andy says the following to your relayed question:

"There are quite a few out there. Possibly the best is by Hannes Wessels, a Handful of Hard Men... not only military, but political aspects too.."

Edited by rmgill

Peter Grant isn't here. I wish he was. He'd be an interesting perspective. Yet another 'not of Sam who is of Sam' as it were. I suspect he'd give some of the liberals fits.

Peter has his own blog. http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.comHe's also a Sci-Fi Writer. He's an interesting fellow. Fought in the South African Military. Moved to the US. Became a priest, worked in the prison system and was medically retired from there after getting stabbed in the spine. Now he lives in Texas with his Aviator Wife (Dorothy) who flew herself down from Alaska in her own, rebuilt (by her) Piper Cub.

My friend Andy says the following to your relayed question:

"There are quite a few out there. Possibly the best is by Hannes Wessels, a Handful of Hard Men... not only military, but political aspects too.."

Thanks...I found Grant's essay in the Fidel Castro thread...seems interesting.

RE: The 'Hard Men' book, I am trying to shy away from elite units like RLI, SAS or Selous Scouts for this subject...specifically curious about the last sketchily trained draftees or the middle aged reservists & their experiences during the last year or even last 6 months of the war.

Edited by NickM

Andy was RLI iinm. Hmm. I'll ask.

Thanks; The fact that Rhodesia recalled men into their 40s & 50s into the reserves & scraped the bottom of the manpower barrel with conscription sounds like it would make interesting stories to tell.

• 5 years later...

MANY Moons later, I have discovered just the sort of memoir I was looking for:

Bandit Mentality by Lindsay O'Brien;  O'Brien was a Kiwi foreign volunteer for the BSAP Support Unit, a field paramilitary police unit. Not nearly as well armed or supported as, say the RLI, they are basically cut rate 'grunts' who have to drive or march or run everywhere. They lacked the glamour of the RLI or RAR but at least they had armored landrovers. I was surprised that the 'force' was mostly African 'constables' led by white officers and supported by African NCOs. Having no ox to gore, the author was pretty clear that, with the white government not having the manpower to beat back the nationalists or the will to create a black middle class, there was no way to win. AND it reinforced my opinion that a guerrilla war WAS like doing police work in a bad neighborhood full of 'gangstas doin' gangsta sh/t', and the Africans were either fully in support of ZANLA/ZIPRA or at least hid their opposition very well.

Also an interesting point was how mines 'knocked off' a lot of constables by causing back injuries (mine proofed vehicles or not) and so regular weapons--it seemed like CTs using RPD squad machineguns caused a lot of casualties==the author got wounded 3 times by RPD fire and sometimes it was a 'challenge' to get the Rhodesian regulars to lend a chopper for a medivac. Also the author served in 'various capacities' with a lot of paramilitary units right up to the war's end, when things were really going to hell.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2022 at 11:22 PM, Argus said:

Wings of Destruction by Peter Bower is an interesting perspective 

I  am unable to find anything on that book or author (probably cuz I'm lame....) after a cursory search on Amazon.