tanknet.org

Well, I Bought A Macbook

Mine's soldiering on (3 years on by now), and apart from the entire logic board dying suddenly and without warning it's just fine. $750 repair was a bit of sticker shock (No, I didn't get Apple Care) and even the repair place was shocked that it went out that soon. Local folks were far better than the Apple Store who wasn't sure what was the matter with my MacBook and just suggested I buy a new one. <_<

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried rm to remove the fiddly bits, but it did not work, even after I did sudo, and no joy. I wish there was a book of Mac terminal commands like there is for linux. I like working in terminal more than I thought I would. I am getting used to the cntrl-tap to open a right click, I have a regular Logitech mouse but I decided to use the Macbook for a week to get used to it. I should have gotten the 15 inch version rather than the 13 inch, but it is really nice and light. I haven't tried a game on it, so I might boot up civilization V and try that.

Be careful deleting things. Best to be sure you're turning off components first before deleting them. You'll probably find that they get reinstalled next OS update you have run though.

There are command references out there. I think OReilly has an advanced book.

I tried rm to remove the fiddly bits, but it did not work, even after I did sudo, and no joy. I wish there was a book of Mac terminal commands like there is for linux. I like working in terminal more than I thought I would. I am getting used to the cntrl-tap to open a right click, I have a regular Logitech mouse but I decided to use the Macbook for a week to get used to it. I should have gotten the 15 inch version rather than the 13 inch, but it is really nice and light. I haven't tried a game on it, so I might boot up civilization V and try that.

Try FreeBSD command references, for example;

http://www.ws.afnog.org/afnog2006/e0/ha/freebsd/freebsdref1.pdf

Thanks, I will give it a shot.

Try FreeBSD command references, for example;

http://www.ws.afnog.org/afnog2006/e0/ha/freebsd/freebsdref1.pdf

• 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Anyone see the new Macbook pro 16"? Also I need some help in removing programs from the Mac. I have been attempting to uninstall Avast and Steam, and there are no uninstallers or anything I can do to stop the programs. Suggestions?

Looks like you'll have to go to a PowerMac Centre to have Avast and Steam uninstalled. It'll take $600.00.

:lol:

Anyone see the new Macbook pro 16"? Also I need some help in removing programs from the Mac. I have been attempting to uninstall Avast and Steam, and there are no uninstallers or anything I can do to stop the programs. Suggestions?

Open up your Applications folder. Drag the application into the trash can. Done.

Open up your Applications folder. Drag the application into the trash can. Done.

Tried that it tells me that it is still running, and I cannot find anywhere in Avast settings to shut it off. Nor can I right click and turn it off. I remember now why Mac OS drives me bonkers compared to Linux or Winders.

• 2 months later...

Well, the macbook has sat in the desk drawer for months without use. I will probably sell it to someone since I really don't like it. I tried, but I just don't understand the love for Macs. Too confining for me, plus there is not upgrade path, and you do it the Apple way or not at all. Also you take what Apple gives you and you like it, or else. One of the guys at work is panting for a Mac, so I'll make him a deal which will defray the cost of my System 76 Darter Pro.