Well, I Bought A Macbook

Murph

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 2015 MacBook Pro that I use in my classroom instead of the almost-dead 6 year-old crappy Dell I was issued. It gets stuff done, and while there are some features that I prefer over Windows (iMovie and the Apple Office apps are far better than the counterparts Microsoft bundles with their OS), the quirks of OSX drive me batty at times. Why can't I cut and paste files? Seriously! When it comes to file management with my cloud drives (I use OneDrive), I do everything on my Microsoft desktop because moving files into a folder outside of one in the same window can be an absolute pain at times on the MacBook.

Thanks, that was driving me crazy as well. I am really liking this MacBook, but I also really like my little Linux machine as well, both are excellent devices. The Mac has several things that are nice, to include crazy battery life. I want to play some games on it, but haven't had the time nor the inclination at this point. iTunes is very nice, especially the movies. This will be a nice long road trip computer. The more I use it, the more I like it. There are some extremely annoying differences between Mac OS and Winders, but I am "code switching" pretty well for the most part. I had to get the little linux laptop out and give it some love yesterday since I had not touched it since I got the Mac. My next purchase will be Microsoft Office at some point in the future.

I read on the net the the new Macbooks have LOTS of problems, and are not being well received.

You want a duplicate of a file? Click on the file/Folder/Application, Command-D to duplicate it. Drag the copy where you want it.

The terminal commands are slightly different on the mac than on the Linux machine. I can no longer "sudo lshw" to get a really awesome hardware view of the everything on the system. I had to download a mac unix cheat sheet to get things clear. I like how I can go into terminal and play. I also am liking Mail, which I was worried about since it got poor reviews for handling Gmail and Yahoo mail. But it seems to be working great, I have all my email in one location.

The terminal commands are slightly different on the mac than on the Linux machine. I can no longer "sudo lshw" to get a really awesome hardware view of the everything on the system. I had to download a mac unix cheat sheet to get things clear. I like how I can go into terminal and play. I also am liking Mail, which I was worried about since it got poor reviews for handling Gmail and Yahoo mail. But it seems to be working great, I have all my email in one location.

For that info, go to the Apple Menu, About this Mac. Then click the System Report button on the popup window that shows up.

For CLI based performance info, try TOP.

You can also check these out.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2614879/mac-os-x/mac-os-x-top-20-os-x-command-line-secrets-for-power-users.html

As far as cool stuff goes, do you have any airport express base stations or an AppleTV? Those have a nifty feature allowing you to stream music to them. You can use an additional app called AirFoil to stream audio from other devices. With 2 or 3 Airport Express stations and an AppleTv also hooked to a stereo, you can set a music playlist (or an internet radio stream) to play to multiple sources in the house and the system synchs them close enough for IP packet delay purposes to have music playing through your house.

I picked up some previous Generation Airport Express basestations a few years ago for 60% of the then current gen units and 'wired' several rooms of my house.

No airport base stations, but I did learn how to iMessage my kids on their iPhones. I am really enjoying this thing. Next month I add Microsoft Office so I have that onboard. I added two movies, and a game, so I can waste even more time. Thanks for the link.

For that info, go to the Apple Menu, About this Mac. Then click the System Report button on the popup window that shows up.

For CLI based performance info, try TOP.

You can also check these out.
http://www.infoworld.com/article/2614879/mac-os-x/mac-os-x-top-20-os-x-command-line-secrets-for-power-users.html

As far as cool stuff goes, do you have any airport express base stations or an AppleTV? Those have a nifty feature allowing you to stream music to them. You can use an additional app called AirFoil to stream audio from other devices. With 2 or 3 Airport Express stations and an AppleTv also hooked to a stereo, you can set a music playlist (or an internet radio stream) to play to multiple sources in the house and the system synchs them close enough for IP packet delay purposes to have music playing through your house.

I picked up some previous Generation Airport Express basestations a few years ago for 60% of the then current gen units and 'wired' several rooms of my house.

You want a duplicate of a file? Click on the file/Folder/Application, Command-D to duplicate it. Drag the copy where you want it.

No, I want to cut and paste; I already know how to duplicate, but I'd rather cut/paste to save the steps. I found some weird workaround and tried it once, but I just now do all my file management on my desktop and piddle about on the Mac.

• 1 month later...

The battery life on this thing is just nuts! Amazing battery life compared to Windows laptops. A buddy just got a 2009 Mac Pro with 30" monitor and is going to sell it to me in April, so I will have a Mac Pro with 48 gb of ram, and a 2.66 processor. He does not like it compared to everything he can do on his windows 6 core system.

Regarding mail, I don't know if this has been fixed but earlier (read 2010) if you ran mail from two different versions of MacOS on the same mail account you COULD get issues which was sort of iffy to fix.

Take this as a warning rather than truth, but IIRC that was the closest thing to case resolution we got on that issue, it only happened to mac users and it only happened to mac users with multiple macs that ran different versions of MacOS.

/R

Thanks that is good information. Since it is an older Mac Pro, it can only run 10.11 rather than the newest. But for the price, I'll finally have that Mac desktop I have always wanted.

Regarding mail, I don't know if this has been fixed but earlier (read 2010) if you ran mail from two different versions of MacOS on the same mail account you COULD get issues which was sort of iffy to fix.

Take this as a warning rather than truth, but IIRC that was the closest thing to case resolution we got on that issue, it only happened to mac users and it only happened to mac users with multiple macs that ran different versions of MacOS.

/R

No, I want to cut and paste; I already know how to duplicate, but I'd rather cut/paste to save the steps. I found some weird workaround and tried it once, but I just now do all my file management on my desktop and piddle about on the Mac.

Expand by what you mean cut and paste a file. Make a copy in another folder?

Moving something is just dragging it to the new loacation, unless its on another volume, then thats a copy.

To create a copy of a file in a different folder, you hold down the option key and then drag. The plus sign indicates that its not a move but a copy.

Moving something is just dragging it to the new loacation, unless its on another volume, then thats a copy.

To create a copy of a file in a different folder, you hold down the option key and then drag. The plus sign indicates that its not a move but a copy.

Well, in Windows I can cut/paste a file to a new folder without having two windows open, or copying when moving to a new volume. I'm pretty sure they have the command by now, and I haven't found it. God forbid Apple call it "cut" though.

Well, I made a discovery, that I can connect an HDMI cable to my macbook and play movies from iTunes on my TV! The next thing to do is see if I can connect Lupe's new laptop via the same method so she can use Skype with Victoria on the large screen. I am using the little linux machine to surf the net while I watch a movie on the macbook. Since I am home with the flu, I have time to do stuff. I found a 17" macbook pro with 8 gb of ram, for a reasonably decent price, and wonder if Lupe would like it? The mac is a nice machine, I don't have any real preference for it over the linux machine for the most part. The mac does have a really good build, and an insane battery compared to the HP linux machine.

• 1 year later...

The more I use the Macbook, the more I like my linux laptop better. While the Mac is nice, and I am using it right now, the Mac o/s quirks are a bit annoying. cntrl-shift to right click is a little counter intuitive. The build quality, and screen are really really nice, plus the insane battery life. Getting in and removing all the little bits is a PITA. I installed Cleanmymac 3 and I did not like being nagged, so I uninstalled it. However there were chunks left, and I could not for the life of me figure out how to kill them. Even terminal did not kill it. Finally I found this site: https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/uninstall-software-apps-mac-3463412/ I finally was able to kill all the little bits and pieces left after the uninstallation.

Tangentally, I accidentally discovered how much battery life a Linux laptop can have when I put together a dedicated secure unit.

I like my everyday-use T530 laptop, so I bought another one, with 4GB of RAM and a low-end CPU (2.2GHz), and put a 128GB SSD in it .. figured I didn't need any more hardware than that, for mostly light text editing.

To eliminate likely side-channels I physically removed its wireless and ethernet devices.

Then I stuck an extended-cell battery in it, because my everyday-use T530 only gets 2.5 hours and I expected the same out of the new one.

Lo and behold, it gets eight hours of battery life. Eight hours. I was shocked.

Edited by TTK Ciar

Sounds like a good mod. I am forcing myself to use the Mac on a daily basis for a week. I bought the O'Reilly Press Mac O/S book to give me some hints. I'd like to use the terminal more, and it seems that Apple has crippled it somewhat. I also would like a larger drive since 256 gb seems to be filling up too fast. I also found this site: https://www.macofalltrades.com/ A buddy used it, and said that they were good and fast. I might get a used iMac later on.

The more I use the Macbook, the more I like my linux laptop better. While the Mac is nice, and I am using it right now, the Mac o/s quirks are a bit annoying. cntrl-shift to right click is a little counter intuitive. The build quality, and screen are really really nice, plus the insane battery life. Getting in and removing all the little bits is a PITA. I installed Cleanmymac 3 and I did not like being nagged, so I uninstalled it. However there were chunks left, and I could not for the life of me figure out how to kill them. Even terminal did not kill it. Finally I found this site: https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/uninstall-software-apps-mac-3463412/ I finally was able to kill all the little bits and pieces left after the uninstallation.

Get a 3 button mouse.

Are you sure it's control shift to get the modifier key? On my system it's just control as it has been since contextual menus came into being in.....the 90s iirc.

I don't know that the terminal is crippled, it's just based on the NeXT Mach system which was a bit different.

Edited by rmgill

I tried rm to remove the fiddly bits, but it did not work, even after I did sudo, and no joy. I wish there was a book of Mac terminal commands like there is for linux. I like working in terminal more than I thought I would. I am getting used to the cntrl-tap to open a right click, I have a regular Logitech mouse but I decided to use the Macbook for a week to get used to it. I should have gotten the 15 inch version rather than the 13 inch, but it is really nice and light. I haven't tried a game on it, so I might boot up civilization V and try that.

Get a 3 button mouse.

Are you sure it's control shift to get the modifier key? On my system it's just control as it has been since contextual menus came into being in.....the 90s iirc.

I don't know that the terminal is crippled, it's just based on the NeXT Mach system which was a bit different.