Well, I Bought A Macbook

Murph

After 32 years of wanting a Mac, I finally had the $$$ to get a lower spec, older one, so I have added a Mac to my computer stable. I will relate more later, since I have been overwhelmed at work so bad I get home and go straight to bed.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the club. I made that switch way back when in '90. In the days of Windows 3.1 and clunky portables. I abandoned the much hated IRQ conflicts and switched to easily selected ports and consistent driver behavior with the macs. I haven't looked back. I even managed to get in on the unix thing early by playing with NeXT workstations in '92-94.

I have wanted one for years,but have never been able to afford one. They are priced beyond the range of mere mortals for the most part. So I have stuck to Windows. But after getting my little Linux laptop, I have been enjoying life after Windows.

You will find that, long term your mac will, unless you break it, maintain a very useful lifespan. Far longer than the usual windows PC. Bearing in mind that the portable stuff tends on the more fragile side due to the physical stresses.

What are you carrying it in? I was going to suggest a Griffin Survivor case for it but that product line hasn't made it to the macbooks yet as far as I can tell.

You will find that, long term your mac will, unless you break it, maintain a very useful lifespan. Far longer than the usual windows PC. Bearing in mind that the portable stuff tends on the more fragile side due to the physical stresses.

What are you carrying it in? I was going to suggest a Griffin Survivor case for it but that product line hasn't made it to the macbooks yet as far as I can tell.

I just want to add the following before I write what I intend to write because it is an infected topic I'm not intending to start anything here, anyone can buy whatever makes them happy.

My experience is that if you buy a similar speced, or priced "windows" machine it will last you as long.

True point. However it is purely a matter of "I want one", not that I NEED one. My linux laptop is covering all my needs right now, and for the forseeable future. It is purely a matter of "I WANT one".

I just want to add the following before I write what I intend to write because it is an infected topic I'm not intending to start anything here, anyone can buy whatever makes them happy.

My experience is that if you buy a similar speced, or priced "windows" machine it will last you as long.

My wife typically goes several years between MBP's. I'm addicted to my Thinkpads (using a T530 right now), and they're fairly good quality, but each of her MBP's last a year or two longer.

We just bought her a new MBP last month, not because the old one broke, but because it became too obsolete to support her needs adequately.

Just out of curosity TTK Ciar, how do your Lenovo stop lasting?

It's different every time, and not always Lenovo's fault (like the time I dropped my R60 down a flight of concrete steps .. it held together okay until the second bounce).

My T510's keyboard deformed until half the keys stopped working. I replaced the keyboard and then the fan bearing went wobbly and wouldn't move air quickly. I was going to replace the fan but my wife convinced me to just buy this T530 instead. I replaced the T510's fan anyway and right now it's the firewall and thermostat for the Data Shack (a place in the wellhouse for the hot, noisy computers to run -- it monitors the temperature and toggles the power to a window air conditioner unit when it gets too warm). It can be seen in this role here: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/blog/ttk-652585/datashack-update-shelves-36351/

The Thinkpad I had before that (named nozh) started mysteriously overheating (and it wasn't the fan, nor did cleaning the heatsink help) and then the video started to go bad, intermittently displaying only shades of blue. I semi-retired nozh to a server'ish role as well -- my employer at the time required remoties to use a VPN which allowed them to spy on us, so I ran the VPN software on nozh and ssh-tunneled through it on my home office desktop, isolating it from their spyware. I'm no longer with that employer, but nozh is buried somewhere under the stuff on my desk. I can still ping it, but it's without purpose. When it was in active use, our elderly cat Loki loved sleeping on it because I never fixed the overheating problem:

Before that was the one I dropped down the stairs, and I frankly don't remember what happened to the one I had before that.

Welcome to the dark side! I made the switch in '07 and haven't looked back. Managed to avoid Windows until last week where I was issued a Dell at my new job... PC trackpads suck.

Arguably you are making the switch a not so good moment. The MacBook Pro just got a refresh and the Air will probably be phased out in favor of a simpler two family line: MacBook and MacBook Pro. They are in the middle of a badly managed transition and the new Pros are a bit pricy, the 12 in Macbook is fine for ultraportable, but lacks horsepower (the price of fanless cases) and the Air has an old chipset and terrible screen.

I actually sold my workhorse 3 year old 15 Macbook Pro last week for close to 1k. They retain value very well.

My plan is to rely on the iMac at home and an iPad for when on the road.

- Bartending for managing menu bar items

- iStat Menu for displaying important sistem

Metadata on the menu bar

- I played around with email clients and settled on Airmail. Stills use it on phone and iMac

- Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper for doing HD clones as backups. Can't be set on a schedule.

- Pixelmator as a good and accesible Photoshop alternative

The rest it depends on the types of things you do. There is a vibrant indi app development community with some great high quality stuff. I can help if you have specific requests.

• 2 weeks later...

Issues and problems with the mac at first. Random keys would just stop working, and it took pressing option five times after much google-fu to get it to reset. It is different enough from the Linux box and the Windows machine that it is difficult to get used to. However I am typing this on the Macbook Pro, I think I need to just get used to the difference.

Just crazy battery life. Lots longer than either my wife's winders machine, or my linux laptop. I have added Avast and Malware bytes to the system. Added Skype so I can contact the oldest at college. Fairly nice to type on, and beautiful screen. I love the mag-safe connector idea. I added a usb two button mouse so I can right click when I want to do so. I need to learn the OS/X unix commands for terminal use. I think it will become my daily driver. Any really must have software?