Canada Looking For A New Frigate

MiloMorai

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/11/2020 at 6:19 PM, R011 said:

Trade protection as part of an Allied force - essentially helping to keep the North Atlantic open for NATO .  Participation in international interventions.  Police Canadian waters, including surveillance and prosecution of unauthorized [i.e. Russian and Chinese] submarine activities.

Any problems with Russia, or, possibly China, around the Arctic? I don't know if there is any natural resources in that area.

I don't know about China, specifically.  Soviet/Russian subs have operated near Canadian waters since the fifties.  They may occasionally operate SSN/SSBN under the ice in or near Canadian waters in the Arctic.  Foer those, we kinds have to let our NATO allies assist as we have no nuclear subs nor are we ever likely to get them.

The Russians are heavily investing in artic bases and infrastructure. The Chinese for some reason also have laid a claim to the area, though practically they have no way of operating there in the near to medium term.

15 hours ago, R011 said:

I don't know about China, specifically.  Soviet/Russian subs have operated near Canadian waters since the fifties.  They may occasionally operate SSN/SSBN under the ice in or near Canadian waters in the Arctic.  Foer those, we kinds have to let our NATO allies assist as we have no nuclear subs nor are we ever likely to get them.

This is an absolutely fascinating article that discusses operational surveillance patrols undertaken by the RCN O class subs in the 80's.  The did have some success tracking Russian SSBN's for short periods of time.  A colleague of mine served on the O class subs during this period and he was somewhat shocked by the level of detail in the paper.

https://www.cnrs-scrn.org/northern_mariner/vol23/tnm_23_367-398.pdf

Japan maintains an Arctic research station, as an extension of its national interests in the region. I would include whaling among them.

I believe India maintains an Arctic research station as well, likely in collaboration with its long-time ally Russia.

14 hours ago, Nobu said:

Japan maintains an Arctic research station, as an extension of its national interests in the region. I would include whaling among them.

I believe India maintains an Arctic research station as well, likely in collaboration with its long-time ally Russia.

There are also probably some interesting research comparing Arctic cold to Himalayan cold...worth at least a grant or two...

On 11/10/2020 at 8:25 PM, Allan Wotherspoon said:

I think that Tribal names would be a bit politically fraught.  I think that reusing names from the River class would be a better option.

Actually the Tribes were quite pleased to have the fighting ships named after them. The key is early involvement and input in the crest design and motifs for the ship.  

48 minutes ago, Colin said:

Actually the Tribes were quite pleased to have the fighting ships named after them. The key is early involvement and input in the crest design and motifs for the ship.  

That was then, this is now.  I think the politics are a lot different today than back in the late 60's and early 70's when the Iroquois class was designed and built.

On this I will have to disagree, the FN's have generally been happy to have FN names attached to vessels, but they want to be consulted and included in the process. A little respect will go a long way and if the CSC become the new Tribals, I suspect that such powerful vessels will be a prestige thing for them. 

That they will be able to carry Tomahawks doesn't mean they will.  The politicians will decide that unless they aren't paying close enough attention.

Having the weapons available doesn't mean it would be free to fit them.  Hopefully they'll decide that fitting CIWS, 57 mm, and any other useful kit that will fit to the deWolfes will be worth the cost

• 1 year later...

Canada has released a new graphic on the current design of our Type 26 (CSC)

From Army.ca - (Sea Ceptor) are 6 more VLS that hold 24 more missiles and are not listed on this fact sheet.

http://www.navy-marine.forces.gc.ca/assets/NAVY_Internet/docs/en/fleet/csc-fact-sheet-eng.pdf

Edited by Colin

Nice touch, raising the VLS platform.  Alex Clarke pointed out that was why the Darings' cells are in that little structure behind the gun; a good idea for stormy northern seas.