tanknet.org

Linux Mint 18 Sarah

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about Pico or Nano as simple text editors? Both remind me of Wordstar, which I loved in the early days of word processing. Emacs and vi seem...odd, I am not really sure what I would use them for at all. I don't code, so there is no need for me to use them at all. Nano and Pico, on the other hand look ok for simple text files, and things like that.

Forget emacs and vi unless you must write code. Powerful, and lot of features, but overkill if not coding.

Got stymied trying to install mint 18 on a Toshiba Satellite C57D tonight. I guess it was actually working, but getting the UEFI drivers setup for the install was taking FOREVER. I abandoned the install tonight, and will try again later. Just didn't have the time/energy for it tonight.

How about Pico or Nano as simple text editors? Both remind me of Wordstar, which I loved in the early days of word processing. Emacs and vi seem...odd, I am not really sure what I would use them for at all. I don't code, so there is no need for me to use them at all. Nano and Pico, on the other hand look ok for simple text files, and things like that.

Forget emacs and vi unless you must write code. Powerful, and lot of features, but overkill if not coding.

A simple text editor would do. Only reason to learn basic use of vi was that it is installed by default in all unixes, so you could use it for initial setup, until having another, more user-friendly, editor installed.

I like emacs and think it's userfriendly for my everyday text-editing. I didn't like pico or nano last time I tried them which I admit is a loooong time ago. The thing with emacs is that you can do shitload of stuff with it and you can also use it for just editing your text. Since it's a graphic interface you get menues if you prefer that to using key commands. I've got it installed on all my windows machines too :)

If you like it or not is something entirely different but I wouldn't call it overkill since it's so quick to start. It's not like you're starting visual studio to edit text files.

TeX on the other hand IS overkill, liberoffice seems to come with linux mint and that will probably do your document handling. I started using TeX (or actually LaTeX) when I was in University, it wasn't very easy to get equations in the reports and LaTeX did that for me. Now I use it as a novelty, plus the result is actually quite pretty :)

/R

Edited by Rickard N

Go here:https://forums.linuxmint.com/ They are super friendly, and have all the answers. I go on there as MurphCID.

Got stymied trying to install mint 18 on a Toshiba Satellite C57D tonight. I guess it was actually working, but getting the UEFI drivers setup for the install was taking FOREVER. I abandoned the install tonight, and will try again later. Just didn't have the time/energy for it tonight.

Oh, it eventually worked. Spent all night downloading the 3rd party drivers for the UEFI install, but it worked. I just didn't have the patience to get it there that night.

TeX on the other hand IS overkill, liberoffice seems to come with linux mint and that will probably do your document handling. I started using TeX (or actually LaTeX) when I was in University, it wasn't very easy to get equations in the reports and LaTeX did that for me. Now I use it as a novelty, plus the result is actually quite pretty :)

You're admitting to being a TeXpunk. Probably sending .dvi files to your friends just to be a purist. :P

p.s. if you enjoy playing around with distros, take a look at Zorin Core. I've created a VM in Hyper-V with it, looks good so far.

You're admitting to being a TeXpunk. Probably sending .dvi files to your friends just to be a purist. :P

p.s. if you enjoy playing around with distros, take a look at Zorin Core. I've created a VM in Hyper-V with it, looks good so far.

I would NEVER send dvi:s to other, you never know if they have the correct fonts installed and it might look ... different :P

(i DID do the invitation to my wedding and the program in TeX though.... spent two nights installing fonts, it was worth it. I hope)

/R

Great that is good to hear. I am sitting in a Starbucks waiting on my favorite Indian place to open, and writing emails in Alpine. I am loving the command line, looking for a class on linux locally. I don't need the Red Hat certifications, I just want a class on care and feeding of the linux box. A little on Emacs, VIM, scripting, CLI, ect. The nice thing is this little HP is so light and portable compared to my old Compaq luggable. Plus battery life is wonderful. Its almost worth drinking Starbucks crap coffee just to get out of the house with the laptop.

Oh, it eventually worked. Spent all night downloading the 3rd party drivers for the UEFI install, but it worked. I just didn't have the patience to get it there that night.

I had a little fun with my wifi connection on my regular laptop (Alienware 17) today, but I setup dnsmasq and it pretty much all went away (I think this is more to do with the quality of the wifi access point than my system). Of course, I do computer for a living, so I have a clue of what to do when it goes wonky. I worry some about normal mortals on Linux in general, but less so with Mint.

I am one of those mortals, Linux is still very Terra Incognita for me as well.

I had a little fun with my wifi connection on my regular laptop (Alienware 17) today, but I setup dnsmasq and it pretty much all went away (I think this is more to do with the quality of the wifi access point than my system). Of course, I do computer for a living, so I have a clue of what to do when it goes wonky. I worry some about normal mortals on Linux in general, but less so with Mint.

Oh, I know. The other issue is that most people are used to the quirks of Windows, not that the Mint quirks are any worse than the Windows quirks, they're just different, and "new".

(new is a relative term. Having used linux in some form since before Windows 95 came out, I have seen quirks grow and shrink with each. Mint is the first that really seems to "get" it for the average user. I think.).

I'd say that Ubuntu is quite user friendly. I haven't fiddled with mint so much yet but it seems quite user friendly too. One of the main reasons I don't run linux as my default OS is that I use my computer pretty much for gaming...

/R

I'd say that Ubuntu is quite user friendly. I haven't fiddled with mint so much yet but it seems quite user friendly too. One of the main reasons I don't run linux as my default OS is that I use my computer pretty much for gaming...

/R

Ubuntu is fairly user friendly for computer people. I've used it quite a bit at work, and never considered it viable for non-computer users. Mint is the first one I've dealt with that I could tell a smart, non-computer person to just install it. Sure, they're going to have to learn quite a bit, but so much more seems to work "out of the box" without the fiddling I've had to do so often with Ubuntu or Fedora (to say nothing of the more exotics like Gentoo, or Slackware).

Oh, I know. The other issue is that most people are used to the quirks of Windows, not that the Mint quirks are any worse than the Windows quirks, they're just different, and "new".

Since I am finding myself providing unofficial, unpaid desktop support (again), I am reminded of the hard realities of the average end user. In my workplace, we have a lot of employees whose basic PC skill set is extremely limited, by choice. They essentially have chosen to not learn any more than what they knew when they hired in. The Windows 7 to Windows 10 transition did not involve cannibalism or suicides, thankfully; I had my concerns.

With BYOD, VDI, and cloud being inevitable, or so it appears, things may get to the point where the corporate desktop is simply a Linux zero client which autoruns a VPN client and Chrome.

(new is a relative term. Having used linux in some form since before Windows 95 came out, I have seen quirks grow and shrink with each. Mint is the first that really seems to "get" it for the average user. I think.).

The things that make Mint special, IMHO, are that:

- the defaults in the installer and desktop environment are novice-friendly;

- the documentation and user community are novice-friendly;

- the scale of the thing is such that you don't have to search through 400,000 threads to find a discussion on audio driver issues.

/R

Ubuntu is fairly user friendly for computer people. I've used it quite a bit at work, and never considered it viable for non-computer users. Mint is the first one I've dealt with that I could tell a smart, non-computer person to just install it. Sure, they're going to have to learn quite a bit, but so much more seems to work "out of the box" without the fiddling I've had to do so often with Ubuntu or Fedora (to say nothing of the more exotics like Gentoo, or Slackware).

What parts of mint do you feel are more user friendly than ubuntu? It's been a while since I ran an ubuntu but me memory is pretty much plug and play. I think I had to fiddle more with mint to be honest.

/R

I was banned from a LInux board many years ago for daring to propose that Linux should be "easy" for the average user, and should be easier to install and use for the average guy. I was pretty much told that Linux was only for the elite, and the hoi polloi were not wanted. The average Windows user was a luser and worthy only of scorn and derision. If you could not hack, code, and write scripts, knew your way around EMACS of VIM, and could "roll your own" using Slackware, or Debian, you were a Luser and needed to be banned from the board. I can't even remember the name of it now, but if folded a year or two later.

I was banned from a LInux board many years ago for daring to propose that Linux should be "easy" for the average user, and should be easier to install and use for the average guy. I was pretty much told that Linux was only for the elite, and the hoi polloi were not wanted. The average Windows user was a luser and worthy only of scorn and derision. If you could not hack, code, and write scripts, knew your way around EMACS of VIM, and could "roll your own" using Slackware, or Debian, you were a Luser and needed to be banned from the board. I can't even remember the name of it now, but if folded a year or two later.

I know, I asked a question about how to get AFS (file system that's distributed, sort of) some 20 years ago and got the answer "if you don't know how to do it, you shouldn't be using it"....

Same thing here, I got told to go back to windoze little luser, and leave real operating systems to the real elite men. Breaking news... I found that JOE when invoked as Jstar looks really, really like Wordstar, and it runs under both Linux and Windows. I might have to play with it some. I just installed it on both systems so I can play with it.

I know, I asked a question about how to get AFS (file system that's distributed, sort of) some 20 years ago and got the answer "if you don't know how to do it, you shouldn't be using it"....
  • 4 weeks later...

I am loving Linux Mint. Now I have decided to upgrade my laptop here at some point to an SSD. I am torn between these two units: Crucial MX300 525gb http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820156151 and the Samsung 750 EVO 500 gb http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147568&ignorebbr=1 I am not sure which one to buy, both seem to have good reviews, and good reputations. I am also going to get one for the new computer I am going to get Lupe from Best Buy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-envy-x360-2-in-1-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-12gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-hp-finish-in-natural-silver/5238300.p?skuId=5238300 I will remove the HD, and add the SSD to make it faster. Claimed battery life is over 9 hours. My computer will run lovely linux Mint, whereas Lupe's will be a winders 10 machine. Lupe is practically a luddite when it comes to technology, it took me six months to get her to even look at You Tube (now she is hooked), and how to run NetFlix. *sigh* Her laptop is practically Victorian Era, or perhaps Edwardian at best, it took several hours yesterday to get enough coal in the boiler to get it to do what I wanted it to do.

The strain to not blurt out "OMG ARE YOU INSANE WHY NOT LINUX" in the "Windows 10 Speculation" thread has been giving me involuntary twitches. They've been swapping stories about Windows trying to auto-upgrade and eating itself instead.

But to each their own. Not everyone wants to learn Linux-based alternatives for all their Windows applications. Live and let live. Deep breaths. Walking away from keyboard now.