The Navy's Here!

So differentiation between ships has always been an issue. What's going to set the UK cruisers apart? Why will folks want to play them outside of aesthetics/national fervor/etc.?

So differentiation between ships has always been an issue. What's going to set the UK cruisers apart? Why will folks want to play them outside of aesthetics/national fervor/etc.?

There will be a time when everything won't work because the crew is having tea.

:D

The Aoba effect strikes again, what's the point of going beyond tier VI if all you get is a slight improvement?

No County?

Who chooses classes to develop? I sudder for British aircraft carriers...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the late response.

This doesn't seem to permit me to past, so Google "Atlantic fleet killerfish games" and you should get the one I'm referring to.

The only Atlantic Fleet game I am aware of is a mobile Android turn-based naval game that is awfully boring.

Have to agree, I tried it and found it to be kind of a snooze fest, the strategic layer was ok, but having to fight the battles sim style made me dread actually having enemy contact.

• 2 weeks later...

From a dev QA translated and posted on the Armored Patrol

Q: I think the question that’s bugging most of us is what the hell is going on with the British Cruisers.

A: The initial concept implied too much “HE-smoke-spam-click-click” meta gameplay, which we really don’t want to support more. We want each line to offer some unique experience rather than being clone of previous lines.

We are testing a new concept, the 2-nd edition didn’t show good results on production test, then we improved it and will tests 3-rd edition. For now, it seems to be much closer to what we want. I am not sure the line will be ready by 0.5.13, though. We’ll see.

Here is a possible tech tree:

scrap the following:

Emerald, replace with Hawkins - 9,750 tons, 30 knots, 7x 7.5-inch/45-Calibre BL Mk.VI in seven single shielded mounts;

Leander, replace with York - 8390 tons 6x 8 inch

Fiji replace with County - 10.000 tons, 8x 8 inch

Edinburgh with "Antrim" - 15,000 tons, with greatly improved subdivision over previous British cruisers and a main armament of nine 8-inch (203mm) guns. She would be armored against 8-inch shellfire (see below link)

Neptune with design 2/40: 21.500 tons, 12x 8inch; 12x 4.5 inch, 16x 2pdr, 8 torpedo tubes in 2 mounts. (see Warship 1997-1998, pg40)

Minotaur with "Shannon" - a 22,000-ton cruiser with the same high speed as the new heavy cruiser (33.5 knots) and an armament of a dozen 9.2-inch guns. (see below)

from here: http://www.avalanchepress.com/ZRNCruiser1.php

The only interesting thing I saw with some of the gameplay videos was that the RN torpedo tubes seemed to be individually aimed. Instead of volley firing 3 or 4, they fired one at a time. I suppose it would allow for slightly more nuanced spread firing.

(Of course, it's possible I've missed something and all torpedoes can be fired this way.)

I think torpedoes fire sequentially, my Kiev has had a couple of instances in which I heard torpedoe firing but only a couple of fishese left the tubes before being destroyed

• 2 weeks later...

I think torpedoes fire sequentially, my Kiev has had a couple of instances in which I heard torpedoe firing but only a couple of fishese left the tubes before being destroyed

Yep, normal torps launch all at once (and had my Beson shot from underneath me yesterday after managing to launch only 1 fish... Was disappointing, hoped to take the BB with me with a full salvo).

Single launch torps will eb the thing for RN cruisers. Guess it will be pretty situational, though at close range extra tight spread could be devastating. Or launching at two different ships.

I saw a Perth on my team in a battle today, it surprised me when it popped smoke. I'd forgotten they would be able to do that, seemed like nice flat shooting guns, but it died before I did so I didn't get to shoulder surf it and see how it did.