Doc Gave Me The Ultimatum

Murph

I am down over 30lbs, and feel much better. My goal is 30 more lbs. I want to get to around 200. My blood pressure meds have been cut in half, and I have hopes that they will be discontinued. I'll know more Tuesday.

Good news indeed! You don't smoke, correct?

Nope, I do have the occasional drink, but no smoking. I just did 8.5 miles (6.5 on my own, and then two more with the wife). My knee hurts.

I am down over 30lbs, and feel much better. My goal is 30 more lbs. I want to get to around 200. My blood pressure meds have been cut in half, and I have hopes that they will be discontinued. I'll know more Tuesday.

Yep! Great to hear! Hopefully, your taste in food is changing, so your new diet is starting to taste good. ;)

Hi...

I just noticed this thread and am glad to hear that some are working to improve their health and lower their health risks.

I managed to lose nearly 60lbs this spring and summer...nothing to it. Just developed a very bad case of Burkitt's-like lymphoma...weight just fell away, mostly because of tumors in my stomach that only allowed me to eat about 3 bites of food at a time. I also had multiple tumors in my lungs, liver and adrenal glands as well as a brain tumor that closed my right eye for a couple of months.

I am in the midst of a long-term regimen of chemotherapy and radiation treatments that has completely sapped my strength, energy and stamina. I have received 8 chemotherapy injections in my spine and 15 radiation treatments to combat the brain tumor. I have completed 4 of at least 6 rounds of IV chemotherapy that involves staying five days in the hospital each time.

This is my third time around on the cancer rodeo( I had Hodgkin's lymphoma in 1977 and salivary gland cancer four years ago) and quite frankly I have had more than my share of experience with this disease.

FWIW, I do not particularly recommend this approach to weight loss.

Changing your diet and exercise is a much better plan...no where near as painful and you don't have to become on a first name basis with a small platoon of doctors and nurses.

I have been on short term disability since late June and will probably not complete the chemotherapy treatments until sometime around the end of the year.

I just turned 62 years old on Sunday and am being pressured by my wife to take early retirement and to be truthful, it holds a lot of appeal. Even if I return to work, it may take quite a bit of time to regain my strength and stamina after the chemotherapy treatments end. As it is, my current physical situation only allows me to stay upright and active for about 45 minutes to an hour before I need a couple hours of rest and I can only do that one time a day.

Pretty depressing for a guy who at the beginning of the year was still more than capable of outworking everybody at my workplace and was roundly considered the strongest man in my workplace and circle of friends.

Those days are gone and most probably will never return.

this has not been the best of all possible years but the prognosis is favorable according to my oncologist.

Hi...

I just noticed this thread and am glad to hear that some are working to improve their health and lower their health risks.

I managed to lose nearly 60lbs this spring and summer...nothing to it. Just developed a very bad case of Burkitt's-like lymphoma...weight just fell away, mostly because of tumors in my stomach that only allowed me to eat about 3 bites of food at a time. I also had multiple tumors in my lungs, liver and adrenal glands as well as a brain tumor that closed my right eye for a couple of months.

I am in the midst of a long-term regimen of chemotherapy and radiation treatments that has completely sapped my strength, energy and stamina. I have received 8 chemotherapy injections in my spine and 15 radiation treatments to combat the brain tumor. I have completed 4 of at least 6 rounds of IV chemotherapy that involves staying five days in the hospital each time.

This is my third time around on the cancer rodeo( I had Hodgkin's lymphoma in 1977 and salivary gland cancer four years ago) and quite frankly I have had more than my share of experience with this disease.

Changing your diet and exercise is a much better plan...no where near as painful and you don't have to become on a first name basis with a small platoon of doctors and nurses.

I have been on short term disability since late June and will probably not complete the chemotherapy treatments until sometime around the end of the year.

I just turned 62 years old on Sunday and am being pressured by my wife to take early retirement and to be truthful, it holds a lot of appeal. Even if I return to work, it may take quite a bit of time to regain my strength and stamina after the chemotherapy treatments end. As it is, my current physical situation only allows me to stay upright and active for about 45 minutes to an hour before I need a couple hours of rest and I can only do that one time a day.

Pretty depressing for a guy who at the beginning of the year was still more than capable of outworking everybody at my workplace and was roundly considered the strongest man in my workplace and circle of friends.

this has not been the best of all possible years but the prognosis is favorable according to my oncologist.

You remind me of my own father, probably the hardest working SOB ill ever know. He was pretty much a caged tiger, always looking for some project to unleash his pent up energy on. Then he had a bad run of luck. He got Shingles in 2001 that really put the ding on his health. Then in about 2012 or so he was diagnosed as having a form of muscular dystrophy (Limbgurdal, which Im sure Ive spelt incorrect) that only shows up in your 40s (he had a muscle deterioration of some kind for some years, but we never knew what it was) and then in he last few months had a serious B12 defficiency that was making him crabby and unwilling to do anything, then latterly diagnosed with a throat cancer. You have my sympathy, you read of Cancer but never really take on board what a horrible disease till you see it eating up someone you care about. Or indeed, yourself. I wish you well on your fight, I feel sure you will beat it like you did the other occasions.

My father for once had a dose of luck in that he is on an experimental NHS programme that seems to be doing him good. Well he always has been a stubborn bugger, hopefully that will keep him in a good place. The irony is that he went on a wait loss programme about a year before it showed up. He may as well not have bothered looking back on it.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith

Hi...

(...)

I had two rounds of Hodgkin's, in 1991, and 1995. Chemotherapy first time was a cast iron female dog, second one was more bearable. But I shudder at the notion of chemo by spinal way. You have my fullest sympathies.

Could have been nice to meet you in Gettysburg this summer, however.

scj, hang tight. My grandmother's sister beat a nasty case of lymphoma at the age of 71, still alive and kicking ass now at 82.

Edited by bojan

Hi...

Thanks everyone for your interest and concern.

As I indicated, this is my third time to this rodeo and it isn't much fun.

First time around with chemotherapy and it is a struggle. My first two cancers were defeated by a combination of surgeries and radiation treatments.

FWIW, the doctors, nurses and people who have endured chemo in the past tell me that the new treatment regimens are better tolerated by patients with less side effects. So far, the effects seem to be increasing as I go deeper into the treatments, sort of a cumulative effect. After the first three rounds of chemotherapy, I was able to snap back energy-wise after about three days. However, it took over a week after the fourth treatment...the drugs were changed for the fourth round so that may be a contributing factor. I was able to tolerate the radiation treatments(15) for my brain tumor without any ill effects but I am still expecting several more spinal injections to continue to combat that. The brain tumor is inoperable so radiation and chemotherapy are the only options.

I am constantly being reassured by my doctors that this lymphoma is very treatable and I should be able to win this fight. Of course, there are no guarantees but they tell me the survival rate is well up in the +80% range.

I hope you beat it like you beat the others into submission, scj1014. Wishing you all the best.

As for this thread, I'm still fat and the Christmas holidays with all its yummy food are fast approaching so I am doomed hehehe

DO what the doc tells you, and you have my best wishes and prayers for a speedy recovery.

Hi...

THat is why I am walking twice a day now, and adding distance. I know what is coming.....

I hope you beat it like you beat the others into submission, scj1014. Wishing you all the best.

As for this thread, I'm still fat and the Christmas holidays with all its yummy food are fast approaching so I am doomed hehehe

Hi...

I continue to do as much as my weakened condition allows. I also have a very concerned wife who is constantly reminding me that my only task at present is to rest and get well.

My stamina is not good due to the combination of cancer and the side effects of chemotherapy.

I remain in good spirits and am completely confident that I will once again prevail against this cancer. I am in no way conceding defeat...I continue to pursue my interests as best as I can with an eye towards resuming my more physically challenging endeavors as soon as my physical condition allows.

No hiking or hunting excursions this year unfortunately. It was quite disappointing not being able to participate in the yearly pheasant hunting trips with family and friends. Deer and bear hunting season starts within the next week or so and I won't be able to participate for the first time in 50 years.

I have been adding to my library, mostly military history and paleontology books and have added a few firearms to my somewhat eclectic collection. I am looking forward to what I hope will be a much healthier spring and summer next year.

• 1 year later...

Well I have lost 55 lbs, but its not all roses, since I have developed a bulging disk, and lots of pain. I am working on losing 25 extra pounds so that would make me happy. The diet is not terrible, but it is hard to not cheat at times so I have had to find substitutes for my chocolate cravings.

Over time, you will find that you have adjusted to the newer diet, so the old stuff just doesn't taste right and it doesn't take as much to sate the urge.

ALSO, it's OK to bend the diet a little on occasion. Just don't let the 'ocasions' come too often.

Edited by shep854