Doc Gave Me The Ultimatum

Murph

Well after 56 years of abuse to my body, the doc gave me the ultimatum, change your lifestyle or else. I took her seriously. So...no more potatoes, pasta, rice, etc. I am walking daily (up to 6.5 miles/day), drinking protein shakes, lots of salad (*gag*), and NO SWEETS. NONE, NADA, ZIP, ZERO. So in the last four months I have lost 25 lbs, and am working on 25 more. Then if I can get down to 188-192 lbs I will be happy. Lupe tells me that I am really, really grumpy and irritable. No sh*t Sherlock, I just gave up all the foods I love for the rest of my life. The craving for sweets has lessened to a mere annoyance. Haven't had a soda in months and don't miss them. Unsweet tea with lemon, and life is good. Eating lots of nuts, and such. Spicy has become the new sweet in many ways. Hummus with jalapenos (lots of them) is actually pretty good.

Well after 56 years of abuse to my body, the doc gave me the ultimatum, change your lifestyle or else. I took her seriously. So...no more potatoes, pasta, rice, etc. I am walking daily (up to 6.5 miles/day), drinking protein shakes, lots of salad (*gag*), and NO SWEETS. NONE, NADA, ZIP, ZERO. So in the last four months I have lost 25 lbs, and am working on 25 more. Then if I can get down to 188-192 lbs I will be happy. Lupe tells me that I am really, really grumpy and irritable. No sh*t Sherlock, I just gave up all the foods I love for the rest of my life. The craving for sweets has lessened to a mere annoyance. Haven't had a soda in months and don't miss them. Unsweet tea with lemon, and life is good. Eating lots of nuts, and such. Spicy has become the new sweet in many ways. Hummus with jalapenos (lots of them) is actually pretty good.

Good for you, don't forget that once in a while you will have a glorious day in which you will allow yourself the taste of days gone by... :D

No, I have developed arthritis in my shoulder. Just walking, only did 5 miles tonight since my knee was bothering me. 6.5 tomorrow night though! I get an apple fritter from Shipley's donuts twice a month as my treat. A regular apple with cinnamon sprinkled on it, is pretty tasty. Not as good as apple pie, but not bad.

Last year I got tired of being fat, so I cut out most sugars and starches, cut out all fast food, ate lots and lots of protein (I've never eaten so much steak and grilled chicken), and lost quite a bit of weight. I'm not sure how many pounds because I never weighed myself when I started, but the jeans I wear today have a waist size six inches smaller than the ones I wore a year ago.

​Kept drinking real beer and cocktails the whole time, too.

No, I have developed arthritis in my shoulder. Just walking, only did 5 miles tonight since my knee was bothering me. 6.5 tomorrow night though! I get an apple fritter from Shipley's donuts twice a month as my treat. A regular apple with cinnamon sprinkled on it, is pretty tasty. Not as good as apple pie, but not bad.

Maybe just use small amounts of weights for all body parts to begin with? When it starts to hurt, quit. It sounds like your doing your walks all at one time. Perhaps breakup the 6 miles into two, 3 or 4 mile parts in the morning an evening. Or maybe Jason's idea of a bicycle?

Consider some form of yoga, for stretching and flex. After that for a while, you might be able to branch into some form of resistance exercise to build strength and muscle mass, which improves metabolism.

Ive lost 120 pounds in the past 3 years. I have learned how to eat again.. chew slowly, take my time, no more hurry up and wait gotta eat yesterday feeding for me. all those forced meals in the military really screwed me up.

Now I talk take my time let my body tell my head I am full. I also use smaller plates so it looks like I am eating lots

The surgery helped a lot, but I have seen people gain wait cause they did not take care and follow the rules.

I am no longer diabetic, and taking no meds

I am no longer suffering with high blood pressure

I no longer have high celosteral

I was over 330 pounds

I am now 210 -220 Ive gone from 4CL jackets to a L

Pants have gone from 48 to 34-36 depending on the make

You can do it Murph, simple case of mind over matter.

We don't mind, and you really matter

Try Pilates, it is a decent full body workout. It focuses on core strength and overall toning so you won't bulk up much but it is pretty easy to work around injuries or impaiments during the workouts. I kind of like it, other than the fact that I am about as flexible as a 2x4 and started with basically 0 ab strength, both have improved since I started.

Try Pilates, it is a decent full body workout. It focuses on core strength and overall toning so you won't bulk up much but it is pretty easy to work around injuries or impaiments during the workouts. I kind of like it, other than the fact that I am about as flexible as a 2x4 and started with basically 0 ab strength, both have improved since I started.

Pilates has been invented for wounded veterans after the great war actually. Odd that it took off in recent years for the celebrities.

Swimming is great for building endurance. And one can do it even with a broken back or worn knees. Nobody expects you to make gold in the olympics. ;)

all those forced meals in the military really screwed me up.

If there is one really shitty tradition in military culture this is it. Makes no sense at all and damages your eating habits for life.

I have scaled back the speed, but I still eat fast and am most often the first that finishes at the table. And annoy my significant other by it. :(

Thanks. My pants size is down, I am eating slower with smaller portions. My BP medication was cut in half, I feel somewhat better (job stress still is horrid), I walked 5 miles tonight, feel good, drinking more water, and unsweet tea. Haven't had any cravings for sodas. My only issue is I want the weight to come off faster. Doc says don't push it, it will come off. Clothes really fit better. I just need the push to get going with my life.

Ive lost 120 pounds in the past 3 years. I have learned how to eat again.. chew slowly, take my time, no more hurry up and wait gotta eat yesterday feeding for me. all those forced meals in the military really screwed me up.

Now I talk take my time let my body tell my head I am full. I also use smaller plates so it looks like I am eating lots

The surgery helped a lot, but I have seen people gain wait cause they did not take care and follow the rules.

I was over 330 pounds

Guest Jason L

Thanks. My pants size is down, I am eating slower with smaller portions. My BP medication was cut in half, I feel somewhat better (job stress still is horrid), I walked 5 miles tonight, feel good, drinking more water, and unsweet tea. Haven't had any cravings for sodas. My only issue is I want the weight to come off faster. Doc says don't push it, it will come off. Clothes really fit better. I just need the push to get going with my life.

I was over 330 pounds

Excessive pushing will lead you to plateau fast and get frustrated easily, it also dramatically increases your chance of injury.

Excessive pushing will lead you to plateau fast and get frustrated easily, it also dramatically increases your chance of injury.

I think that's wot happened to me. Plus work-induced stress.

Edited by Corinthian

Pilates has been invented for wounded veterans after the great war actually. Odd that it took off in recent years for the celebrities.

Didn't know that about it, my wife got introduced to it by some friends who opened a studio several years ago. She goes 4-5 times a week (at a studio closer to home) and she really enjoys it. She finally convinced me to give it a serious try a couple months ago and I like the low key nature of the sessions and find it pleasantly devoid of new agey semi mysticism crap.

Guest Jason L

Didn't know that about it, my wife got introduced to it by some friends who opened a studio several years ago. She goes 4-5 times a week (at a studio closer to home) and she really enjoys it. She finally convinced me to give it a serious try a couple months ago and I like the low key nature of the sessions and find it pleasantly devoid of new agey semi mysticism crap.

[partypooper]

It's considered to be grossly ineffectual for anything, and relatively poor for improving core strength, even for healthy people. I mean it does, but that's compared to literally sitting on your ass.

Do pretty much anything else. Yoga at least has pretty women.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26004043

[/partypooper]

Edited by Jason L

• 1 month later...

Well, I am up to 6.5 miles three times a week, the other days it's only 5 miles, and I have lost about 30 lbs. I WANT A PIZZA! I also want to lose 30 more lbs, so NO PIZZA!. Fridays at least twice a month are for Indian food at the Bombay Hall in San Antonio. Yummmmm

I was over 330 pounds

There might be hope for me

• 1 month later...