tanknet.org

Pancakes Or Waffles?

I prefer to make pancakes because we have a large griddle on our Viking range, which is easier to use and clean than a waffle iron, and represents a much larger surface area than a waffle iron.

I make the pancakes small which (1) maximizes the ratio of yummy brown surface area to boring internal volume and (2) makes quality control much easier, because I can have fifteen to twenty silver-dollar-sized pancakes going with thirty seconds between them. As I flip one over, I can adjust the time to flip over the next one based on visual inspection of the cooked surface (too light => wait longer; too dark => flip sooner). Also (3) it shortens first-pancake delivery latency to my wife's hungry mouth.

For presentation, I make three or four stacks side-by-side on the plate with small slivers of butter between each. My wife prefers to eat them with her fingers, so a mini-pot of maple syrup is provided on the side for dipping.

I eat the rejects as they are discovered, so no plate required for me! :-)

I make the pancakes small which (1) maximizes the ratio of yummy brown surface area to boring internal volume and (2) makes quality control much easier, because I can have fifteen to twenty silver-dollar-sized pancakes going with thirty seconds between them. As I flip one over, I can adjust the time to flip over the next one based on visual inspection of the cooked surface (too light => wait longer; too dark => flip sooner). Also (3) it shortens first-pancake delivery latency to my wife's hungry mouth.

Does not sound like Six Sigma best practices...

I eat the rejects as they are discovered, so no plate required for me! :-)

That's what dogs are for.

• 5 weeks later...

If you eat multiple pancakes, wot is your method? Eat them one by one? Stack them up? If you stack them up, do you put butter and syrup per slice or only on the top?

One by one. As a wrap filled with a load of fried ground beef and dipped into hot sauce and sour cream, cottage cheese with raisins, or caramelized, sugared condensed milk. Or cream made from cottage cheese, smoked salmon and leek - YUMMY!!!