Pancakes Or Waffles?

Corinthian

I like pancakes.

But I *love* waffles.

^_^

I like that you can put the melted butter and syrup in the pits of the waffle, giving it much more flavour than pancakes. YUMMY! I just had waffles this morning hihihihihihi! ^_^

Pancakes.

​When the butter/syrup ratio is just right, they're awesome.

​I've always preferred the softness of a pancake to the crunch of a waffle.

As a carry over from the money-scarce depression years, my mother and father always had pancakes or waffles on Saturday night. For pancakes, she would cook them in the kitchen and then yell for the next person to "bring your plate" and you would go in and she would dump a batch on you. for waffle nights, she would put the waffle iron near her place at the table and cook them right there.

My father got the expensive real maple syrup while the rest of us made do with Log Cabin syrup. When I was young, Log Cabin came in a tin can shaped like a hut with logs, doors, and windows printed on. The spout was the chimney. After the can was finished, you could clean it out with boiling water and use it for a toy. My brother and I had about twenty of these which made a great village. Later, they cheaped out and Log Cabin began using bottles.

Waffles, crunchy peanut butter, and Knott's Berry Farm raspberry jam.

You, sir, are a decadent libertine and a bad example to America's Youth. No man needs peanut butter or jam on his morning rectangular feed.

With either, real maple syrup and/or butter is what you need.

This morning's break fast will be turkey sausage, followed by frozen blueberry waffles with real out-of-the-cow butter and real out-of-the-tree maple syrup.

As for the either/or nature of the OP, I agree with Retac21. Variety is the spice of life.

You, sir, are a decadent libertine and a bad example to America's Youth. No man needs peanut butter or jam on his morning rectangular feed.

With either, real maple syrup and/or butter is what you need.

This morning's break fast will be turkey sausage, followed by frozen blueberry waffles with real out-of-the-cow butter and real out-of-the-tree maple syrup.

As for the either/or nature of the OP, I agree with Retac21. Variety is the spice of life.

Ok, well give me pancakes as my great grandmother served them, thin, fried in shortening, with crispy edges, and real butter and straight Karo corn syrup on the table. Or just some butter and blackstrap molasses.

When I was young, Log Cabin came in a tin can shaped like a hut with logs, doors, and windows printed on. The spout was the chimney. After the can was finished, you could clean it out with boiling water and use it for a toy. My brother and I had about twenty of these which made a great village. Later, they cheaped out and Log Cabin began using bottles.

Reminded me of those perfumes/colognes used by dad which came in bottles shaped like cars. I used to play with those especially once they were empty.

Ok, well give me pancakes as my great grandmother served them, thin, fried in shortening, with crispy edges, and real butter and straight Karo corn syrup on the table. Or just some butter and blackstrap molasses.

Thin pancakes are the best. ^_^

I remember we made pancakes and, having no syrup or butter, just sprinkled sugar on the surface. Rolled it up and eat. ^_^

I know some people who don't like waffles (not "don't prefer," but really "don't like") but like pancakes. Weird.

Edited by Corinthian

Waffles are only mandatory on the feast of the annunciation.

Pea soap and pancakes and are mandatory on thursdays.

Maundy thursday, the feast of the ascension, christmas and new years eve excluded.

Ideally served with punsch.

Which probably means something else in English :D (it should be warm btw)

McDonald's 'Hotcakes and Sausage' breakfast is my favorite. I recently tried a 'Sausage, Egg & Cheese McGriddle' from McDonald's. The pancake sweetness of the bread did not mix well with cheese...

Edited by shep854

McDonald's 'Hotcakes and Sausage' breakfast is my favorite. I recently tried a 'Sausage, Egg & Cheese McGriddle' from McDonald's. The pancake sweetness of the bread did not mix well with cheese...

1) who eats breakfast at McD's if he doesn't has to? ;)

2) when at home put some Provolone on pancake or waffle. That cheese is also great with a drop of honey and nuts.

Personally I like both waffles and pancakes, but not regularly for breakfast.

Either lots of Palatschinken (austro-hungarian pancakes) with a spread of choice like butter & sugar, marillenmarmelade (jam made out of special apricots), cinnamon,... for dinner or waffles with cream and strawberries or simply sprinkeld with icing sugar for tea time.

For a most awesome second breakfast a fried thick sausage wrapped in a galette (normandy/brittany pancake made from buckwheat) is very hard to beat.

As a "norman burrito" buckwheat pancakes filled with vegetables and ham or bacon with a white sauce is great.

Either lots of Palatschinken (austro-hungarian pancakes) with a spread of choice like butter & sugar, marillenmarmelade (jam made out of special apricots), cinnamon,... for dinner or waffles with cream and strawberries or simply sprinkeld with icing sugar for tea time.

Sounds familiar, but best palatschinken were with this:

b61166c0b706eb7a37609328c27077be.jpg

Since it has gone way of dodo with ex-Yugo (that was a single greatest loss with Yugoslavia breaking up), it can be substituted with one or two bars of this rolled into each:

81qMIxku6JL._SX522_.jpg

Edited by bojan

Only in Yugoslavia, cause IIRC Ferrero did not want to license a Nutella so they made that one specifically for our market to be locally produced (Podravka Zagreb). Post-breakup Ferrero did not want to continue license in Croatia, so production stopped about 1993-4. It was denser than Nuttella, with taste identical to Kinder chocolate.

There were few both local and Croatian attempts to make a copy, but not even one came close. :(

Edited by bojan

Either lots of Palatschinken (austro-hungarian pancakes)

English word (well, French, actually...) is crepe.

When I was a kid I could eat like 10. Nowadays I consume much less fat so I can only eat like 4-5 before giving up.

Thin pancakes are the best. ^_^

I remember we made pancakes and, having no syrup or butter, just sprinkled sugar on the surface. Rolled it up and eat. ^_^

I know some people who don't like waffles (not "don't prefer," but really "don't like") but like pancakes. Weird.

My sisters liked powdered sugar on their pancakes. Sometimes they liked apple butter too.The only thing I liked on pancakes outside of syrup or molasses, was honey. Damn now I am hungry. lol

Edited by Mr King

Aside from the above powdered sugar reference, no mention of French toast. Interesting; an American breakfast staple.

As a kid, I loved French toast the American way; a frightening load of powdered sugar, topped with artificial maple syrup. I couldn't get that down these days.

Now, what I like is just the basic toast with a frightening load of melted butter, cinnamon, and some real OOT maple syrup (not too much).

Some restaurants, when they make French toast, they use really thick slices of bread, that regardless how much syrup or whatever I pour onto it, it tastes like eating a sponge full of motor oil.

Prefer the home made ones my sister makes, using thin slices of white bread.

If you eat multiple pancakes, wot is your method? Eat them one by one? Stack them up? If you stack them up, do you put butter and syrup per slice or only on the top?

Some restaurants, when they make French toast, they use really thick slices of bread, that regardless how much syrup or whatever I pour onto it, it tastes like eating a sponge full of motor oil.

If its made from the right type of bread, thick slices are the way to go. Don't ask me how to do it right, my home attempts have been lousy.

If you eat multiple pancakes, wot is your method? Eat them one by one? Stack them up? If you stack them up, do you put butter and syrup per slice or only on the top?

I used to spread them out, put a tab of butter on each, then stack them up so that the butter would melt. Syrup then on top. Nowadays I eat far fewer at a sitting, so I array them out, make sure each has some syrup, then stack them up so they can be wedged out uniformly.

Waffles. Hardley ever eat them or pancakes but when I do it is a Sunday breakfast treat while reading the Sunday paper. With pancakes the syrup will run off the cakes, over the plate edge and onto the table, paper, and me.

This does not happen when the syrup is applied to waffles. The little "dough hedgerows" contain the syrup. Also with waffles if you use two diffrent colored syrups you can play tic-tac-to ;)