Meanwhile In The Baltic Republics And Poland...

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Battalions have 120mm mortars support mainly and still 122mm artillery but probably not for long.

You mean that infantry battalions have organic 122mm artillery?

Nah, it's mechanized/armor using AHS 2S1 Gvozdika, it's their last years of service before being replaced by 155mm AHS Krab. Motorized will get 155mm AHS Kryl as a replacement for 152mm AHS Dana.

Tough structure will be changed.

Armor/mechanized will get:

Battalions - 120mm SMG Rak-G.

Brigades 155mm AHS Krab.

Motorized will get:

Battalions - 120mm SMK Rak-K.

Brigades - 155mm AHS Kryl.

122mm AHS 2S1 Gvozdika and 152mm AHS Dana will be moved to reserve and perhaps moved to Territorial Defense Forces.

Hang on, just want to be sure I get this right. The mech and armour battalions are getting Su122 attached to the battlegroup? Kind of like paving the way for SP mortars?

Thats interesting, Id not heard that before. Would that be a battery of 6?

Maybe there now are only four German arty battalions in all, as they are down to three divisions, one of which includes the Schools/Demo Bde [PzLehrbrigade] and all are a bit mixed in structure. They have come a long ways....

Edited by Ken Estes

Hang on, just want to be sure I get this right. The mech and armour battalions are getting Su122 attached to the battlegroup? Kind of like paving the way for SP mortars?

Well 122mm is used right as both battalion or brigade level support, however the calliber shows it's age and it just don't fit.

For a brigade level 155mm is better suited while 120mm autoloaded mortars are better suited for battalion level.

152mm Dana's are also used for armor/mechanized support tough, they kinda do not fit due to their wheeled chassis.

It's kinda complicated right now, but in future structure will be simplified thanks to new platforms.

Maybe there now are only four German arty battalions in all, as they are down to three divisions, one of which includes the Schools/Demo Bde [PzLehrbrigade] and all are a bit mixed in structure. They have come a long ways....

With Pz2000 perhaps they dont feel the need for quite so many guns. I mean if they are going to be putting 10 rounds a minute downrange, that is a considerable advance on their cold war era M109s. Even the Russians are noting that a single 2s35 (which is reputed to put 13 rounds a minute down range) is worth a whole artillery battery.

Well 122mm is used right as both battalion or brigade level support, however the calliber shows it's age and it just don't fit.

For a brigade level 155mm is better suited while 120mm autoloaded mortars are better suited for battalion level.

152mm Dana's are also used for armor/mechanized support tough, they kinda do not fit due to their wheeled chassis.

It's kinda complicated right now, but in future structure will be simplified thanks to new platforms.

Ok thanks for that Damian. Just when I think ive got the Polish orbat worked out, you fellas change it. :D

I will just give you example Stuart.

The 10th Armored Cavalry Brigade have an artillery support of 122mm 2S1 Gvozdika squadron, same thing in 34th Armored Cavalry Brigade, however 17th Mechanized Brigade (in reality Motorized as they do not have tanks, only Rosomak wheeled combat vehicles) have support of 152mm Dana squadron. And all 3 brigades belong to the same 11th Armored Cavalry Division.

In future 10th and 34th ACB's will get both 120mm SMG Rak-G and 155mm AHS Krab, while 17th MB will get 120mm SMK Rak-K and 155mm AHS Kryl.

*Artillery Squadron in Poland is equivalent of a Battalion. Each artillery squadron should have 24 self propelled howitzers.

Edited by Damian

With Pz2000 perhaps they dont feel the need for quite so many guns. I mean if they are going to be putting 10 rounds a minute downrange, that is a considerable advance on their cold war era M109s. Even the Russians are noting that a single 2s35 (which is reputed to put 13 rounds a minute down range) is worth a whole artillery battery.

Ok thanks for that Damian. Just when I think ive got the Polish orbat worked out, you fellas change it. :D

Soviet doctrine and equipment clashing with NATO doctrine and equipment basically. And modern 120 mm mortars are reaching into 122 mm howirzer territory anyway with their increased range.

Ukrainians seem to have got a lot of mileage out of theirs in 2014 as Jagdpanzers. The Armour was shit, but 122mm seemed to be good to go for T64 plinking, at least according to the Karber report.

I like them, its a pity they cant be retained for expeditionary work.

With new equipment entering service, we may have an offer for you. :P

If you are forming a Tanknet international brigade, sign me up. But Im not cheap.

Well, not in THAT way anyway. :D

We could never agree on which main battle tank to employ. ^_^

If you are forming a Tanknet international brigade, sign me up. But Im not cheap.

Gavin of course

You expect to be paided a bonus? (for there most part....)

Ill be happy to take my bonus in sausages and beer. I am not proud. :)

Gavin of course

Wash your mouth out. :)

Wear plate . . .

Wear plate . . .

That,s "where plate" sport!