Because Australia

Colin

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suicides driven by effects of lockdown, mostly unemployment or underemployment. Psychologically devastating in a culture where arge families are the norm. Suicide is gaurantee of hell, so it is very uncommon amongst Moslems.

Although vaccine mandates are untested in the courts, people refusing are losing their jobs, including servicemen. 

The Delta wave caught us just before the vaccination drive so we have truly yukko numbers but it also drove the vac take up.

12 hours ago, DB said:

I wonder about the use of the name "soma" for a real-life pain medication. Were the people who chose that name aware of Brave New World?

They almost surely were. I believe carisoprodol (for which Soma is a trade name) was marketed back in the 1950s or early 60s, and at that time the awareness of Huxley's book was vastly larger and general education levels far better with regards to literature (among other things*).  I assume it was chosen specifically because in the novel soma leaves you in bliss and feeling good, with no side effects.  Also, the name provided instant brand recognition, so I could see why a marketing exec would approve of the name.

--
Soren

*in our stupid age, people apparently have trouble identifying in which war D-Day happened, so it is probably safe to say that very few would be aware of Brave New World. Moreover, while they might google something like soma, and learn about its literary provenance, even that might not raise any alarm bells (except that they might be excited to learn that the name was already considered a good name for a drug 🧐)

Edited by Soren Ras

Eh, Gandalf setting the Spanish Armada on fire at least is consistent with his use of fireworks magic, so bonus points for canonical accuracy as far as I'm concerned.

I suppose there was a fair share of people who ticked that box just to troll the pollsters. That those took it at face value in turn shows that they either don't understand the Britons that elected Boaty McBoatface and forced the government to add "Jedi" as a religion in their census, or that they cynically speculated on the effect when adding those options into their own questionnaire so they could make more catchy headlines.

While people interested in WW2 would of course identify the "Battle of Britain" for what it was, and while the choice of words was good for a radio speech at the time when it happened, at the end of the day you have to concede that as far as brand names are concerned, it's not self-explanatory.

5 hours ago, Ssnake said:

at the end of the day you have to concede that as far as brand names are concerned, it's not self-explanatory.

True enough. As far as brand names go, they can't all reach the sublime self-explanatory heights of NoDoz (over-the-counter caffeine pills).

(and you are probably right about the survey having been at least somewhat infiltrated by wags)

--

Soren

7 hours ago, Ssnake said:

...Gandalf setting the Spanish Armada on fire...

That is as historically accurate as to credit the fail of the Grande y Felicísima Armada to the usual bunch of barely sponsored English pirates.

So no biggie.

Ignorance, however, was not just confined to the young - 22% of pensioners failed to remember that the Romans conquered Britain, with one in 20 over-65s stating it was the Germans instead.

Well, yes, the error being "instead" of "as well".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasions_of_the_British_Isles#Germanic_invasions

It's straining at gnats to suggest that Germany didn't exist, so Germans didn't invade.

9 minutes ago, sunday said:

That is as historically accurate as to credit the fail of the Grande y Felicísima Armada to the usual bunch of barely sponsored English pirates.

So no biggie.

If the main argument is that the main contributor was the king giving the job to the wrong man, or to the weather changing around the time the fleet was failing to embark the troops for the invasion, one may properly ascribe this to God, don't you think?

Totalitarian Australia

Intrastate travel within Australia is also severely restricted. And the government of South Australia, one of the country’s six states, developed and is now testing an app as Orwellian as any in the free world to enforce its quarantine rules. People in South Australia will be forced to download an app that combines facial recognition and geolocation. The state will text them at random times, and thereafter they will have 15 minutes to take a picture of their face in the location where they are supposed to be. Should they fail, the local police department will be sent to follow up in person. “We don’t tell them how often or when, on a random basis they have to reply within 15 minutes,” Premier Steven Marshall explained. “I think every South Australian should feel pretty proud that we are the national pilot for the home-based quarantine app.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/09/pandemic-australia-still-liberal-democracy/619940/

1 hour ago, Ssnake said:

Sounds as if they have gone absolutely bonkers.

the margin stories run the gamut of bonkers and back. But then again, I've always felt Atlantic and Esquire was always peopled by spineless Eunuchs

1 hour ago, Simon Tan said:

My Oz cousins claim to be libertarian and are strangely very PRC in their approach to the 'dirty anti-vaxxers'.

george_orwell_did_i_call_it_or_what_1-9-21.jpg

5 hours ago, lucklucky said:

Yes it initially sounds bonkers: BUT!

It will be voluntary and only for people who agree to go into home quarantine after returning from areas where covid is flowing freely.  It is not the whole population and is an alternative to being put in other forms of quarantine.

See

South Australia is trialing an app that will monitor people who are in home quarantine by checking geo-location data and scanning their faces.

The trial, which began on Monday, allows around 50 South Australian residents returning from interstate to conduct their 14 days of mandatory quarantine from home.

Residents who sign onto the trial will install the Home Quarantine SA app on their smartphones to monitor their compliance with quarantine requirements through random in-app checks.

Users will have 15 minutes, when the app pings them, to prove they are at their homes by showing the app their faces and giving it access to geo-location data.

If they fail to do so, police will check on them in-person.

https://ia.acs.org.au/article/2021/sa-trials-facial-recognition-for-home-quarantine.html

Not quite the same as claiming that all South Australians will be tracked everywhere, is it?

5 hours ago, DougRichards said:

Yes it initially sounds bonkers: BUT!

It will be voluntary and only for people who agree to go into home quarantine after returning from areas where covid is flowing freely.  It is not the whole population and is an alternative to being put in other forms of quarantine.

See

South Australia is trialing an app that will monitor people who are in home quarantine by checking geo-location data and scanning their faces.

The trial, which began on Monday, allows around 50 South Australian residents returning from interstate to conduct their 14 days of mandatory quarantine from home.

Residents who sign onto the trial will install the Home Quarantine SA app on their smartphones to monitor their compliance with quarantine requirements through random in-app checks.

Users will have 15 minutes, when the app pings them, to prove they are at their homes by showing the app their faces and giving it access to geo-location data.

If they fail to do so, police will check on them in-person.

https://ia.acs.org.au/article/2021/sa-trials-facial-recognition-for-home-quarantine.html

Not quite the same as claiming that all South Australians will be tracked everywhere, is it?

Really? so explain to me why  they want a police state in their lives? 

3 hours ago, lucklucky said:

Really? so explain to me why  they want a police state in their lives? 

If you have a choice between 14 days in a quarantine establishment, so that you don't spread the plague to others, or 14 days in your home, so you don't spread the plague to others, which would you choose?

Or are you saying that everyone who may be contagious should simply be allowed to spread the plague?

There is an old saying: "Your right to wave your fists ends at the point of my nose."

27 minutes ago, DougRichards said:

may be contagious

You mean all the population should be quarantined until proved they are not contagious?

Shall I note again that Australia is not a penal colony anymore?