Because Australia

Colin

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/baboon-escapes-vasectomy-op-testing-21571843

A baboon scheduled to have a vasectomy has made a daring escape with his two lady friends near a hospital in Sydney.

Footage captured by stunned pedestrians shows the trio of primates running loose in a car park at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital today just before 5:30pm local time.

The baboons have run off the medical research facility towards a parked ambulance.

NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard said the male baboon was due to have a vasectomy at the hospital and he was being accompanied by his two wives to "keep him comfortable", the Daily Telegraph reported.

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That hospital is used by vet surgeons after hours for larger animals when the operating theatres are not being used for people.

There is little chance of cross species infection as most animal diseases are not contagious to humans and vice versa and the theatres are thoroughly disinfected no mater what species have been operated on.

Meanwhile our media is full of jokes about 'balls ups' and the like.

Things like escAPED etc

Pasta, rice (well the dry stuff, not the 90 sec in the microwave) is off the shelves here in Australia, dried beans, barley and split peas are not available.

The packet pasta that you mix with water and butter and then microwave is still available.

Well at least it means that lots of people will have boring food to clear out of their cupboards in the next few months, and hopefully charities will have a windfall.

I have some long term reserves from before this particular panic, so maybe when the shit hits the fan without any toilet paper to clean it up I will start a soup kitchen outside my place a couple of evenings a week for a few weeks.

I may finish up feeding some local cats and dogs as well.

Paper towel and tissues are getting scarce, next thing you know sandpaper will not be available either.

now toilet paper is being rationed!

Well you see the government really doesn't want Australians using cash, it started with cashless welfare cards, and now they're wanting to make it illegal, and punishable by jail time, to pay with more than 10k in cash. So a replacement standardised universally accepted token of known value will be required. Having been a leader in polymer notes I expect we're just going to return to paper money.

• 1 month later...

Sky News Australia occasionally pops up on my feed. They don't appear to trust the Chinese government one bit.

I don't follow Australian media much. How prevalent are these views towards the Chinese gov't there? Are Australians' attitudes changing over the increasing Chinese influence in their country?

Edited by Mikel2

I do not view Sky but the other media indicates that with the exception of two billionaires, most people don't like the Chinese Government. Mind you the Chinese have described Australia as being like a piece of chewing gum on the sole of your shoe.

Their ambassador has also been publicly critical of Australia, in a clear breach of diplomatic norms.

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/global/coronavirus-chinese-government-slams-australia-over-covid19-dossier/news-story/349dc03ec8b48fabeb7aa8f9ef9adb66

I do not view Sky but the other media indicates that with the exception of two billionaires, most people don't like the Chinese Government. Mind you the Chinese have described Australia as being like a piece of chewing gum on the sole of your shoe.

Their ambassador has also been publicly critical of Australia, in a clear breach of diplomatic norms.

Interesting, and unusual behavior as far as ambassadors go.

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/global/coronavirus-chinese-government-slams-australia-over-covid19-dossier/news-story/349dc03ec8b48fabeb7aa8f9ef9adb66

The Chinese seem to favor the Citizen Genet school of diplomacy.

If that's how they treat a developed nation, I shudder to think how it is with their "client" nations that have fallen deeply in debt through their Road and Belt program.

Edited by Mikel2

• 3 weeks later...

No good deed goes unpunished: Australian man fined for rescuing whale from sea nets

An Australian man who acted on his own to free a whale caught in sea nets says he's been fined by authorities for performing the rescue.

The trapped whale was spotted in waters off the Gold Coast on Tuesday, prompting calls to officials.

However, as hours passed without a response, the man launched his own rescue - driving his boat out, swimming over to the whale and untangling it.

Upon his return to shore, he was fined by officials he told Australian media.

It's unclear what exactly the fine was for, but Queensland state has penalties for tampering with council property, as well as moving too close to whales.

No good deed goes unpunished: Australian man fined for rescuing whale from sea nets

An Australian man who acted on his own to free a whale caught in sea nets says he's been fined by authorities for performing the rescue.

The trapped whale was spotted in waters off the Gold Coast on Tuesday, prompting calls to officials.

However, as hours passed without a response, the man launched his own rescue - driving his boat out, swimming over to the whale and untangling it.

Upon his return to shore, he was fined by officials he told Australian media.

It's unclear what exactly the fine was for, but Queensland state has penalties for tampering with council property, as well as moving too close to whales.

"Failure to observe social distancing."?