Howa Rifles

Just picked up the below Howa 1500 in .308 caliber, with a 20 inch heavy barrel. This is hydro-dipped in the Kryptek "Highlander" camo pattern. For range use and the occasional zombie. Maybe one day I'll put in for an elk tag.

Howa isn't exactly a household name to any great extent in the US. Are their rifles used for any military applications worldwide?

Edited by Dawes

The Weatherby Vanguard is a Howa made rifle, perfectly functional stuff. I had one in 300 Weatherby, I gifted it to a friend upon his graduation from the Q-course.

AFAIK, none of their rifles are in use with any significant national military. Doubtless you'll find some with the various insurgents out there. S/F....Ken M

Howa bolt actions have earned an excellent reputation in the UK. They are helped by having scope mounting arrangements that replicate those of the Remington 700.

Howa itself has a long(ish) history of military small arms design and production, including:

http://military.wikia.com/wiki/Howa_Type_64

http://military.wikia.com/wiki/Howa_Type_89

http://military.wikia.com/wiki/Howa_Type_96

They also made AR18s for a while and made the Carl Gustav 84mm RR for the JSDF.

Not sure if it's where Doug is going, but they also made copies of the French 120mm rifled mortar and the British 81mm L16 series mortar for the Japanese military.

It´s kinda Rem 700 like action. Was sold under Weatherby Vanguard and S & W brand names.

Very good and reliable rifle, but I have never heard about top accuracy. Very serviceable, though.

Good hunting rifle, for LR target work you would eventually have to buy a top notch barrel.

Their SS Version with green plastic stock is VERY reasonably priced, have thought about that one for a beater rifle several times.

Problem is, I have too much guns already.

;-)

Hermann

It´s kinda Rem 700 like action. Was sold under Weatherby Vanguard and S & W brand names.

Very good and reliable rifle, but I have never heard about top accuracy. Very serviceable, though.

Good hunting rifle, for LR target work you would eventually have to buy a top notch barrel.

Their SS Version with green plastic stock is VERY reasonably priced, have thought about that one for a beater rifle several times.

Problem is, I have too much guns already.

;-)

Hermann

Unpossible!!!!

To answer the original question: No. Japanese law doesn't allow them to export any military weapons (this law is being changed if not already done do). This means that they can sell them as civilian weapons but militaries have enough selection already so they don't need to try circumwent those laws.

To answer the original question: No. Japanese law doesn't allow them to export any military weapons (this law is being changed if not already done do). This means that they can sell them as civilian weapons but militaries have enough selection already so they don't need to try circumwent those laws.

The law has already been changed, see the deal with Autralia for submarines. Did not go through, but they would not have tried it without the new law.

Any police forces using Howa rifles? But there applies the same as for military I guess, lots of boot bolt actions on the market that can do the job just fine.

edit: boot :lol:

Edited by Panzermann

• 4 weeks later...

I have two Weatherby Vanguard S2 rifles. one in .223 and the other in .30-06. These are the Griptonite stock non detachable fixed magazine models. Both will shoot sub MOA groups at 100 yards with cheapo factory ammo. Leupold scopes on both rifles. Excellent quality, what's not to like. I don't have to put up with Remington's quality problems. Plus, Mr. Weatherby sent me a thank you letter after I filled out the warranty card.