tanknet.org

Turn Of Year 2015/16 At Cologne Train Station

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, "cunt" would definitely qualify. But "sexual insult" is actually not a proper legal term AIUI. As noted, the old code for insult merely covered sexually insulting behavior by physical action like fondling breasts and butts, too as sort of a catch-all.

Edited by BansheeOne

As I said, part of the post-Colognial activism, though I always thought that there was separate code for sexual harrassment; turns out this was the 1994 Law for the Protection of Employees from Sexual Harrassment in the Workplace, so not criminal code covering all life situations. Note that punishment is still the same as for insult by physical action, so the only actually new thing is the paragraph about aggravated cases, typically by group action, which is the most obvious reference to the New Year's Eve events, and carries up to one year more.

Everything beyond pinching, fondling etc. up to actual rape has always been covered by § 177, even though it had "sexual assault" added to the title in this year's reform. I'm not really sure where the line runs between "harrassment" and "assault", or "touching somebody in a sexually determined way" and "performing sexual acts on another person", as the language puts it; for example, where does, in the immortal words of a current POTUS-elect, "grab the pussy" fall? "Sexual coercion" is much more easily distinguished by overcoming the expressed will of the victim, but after the reform the unexpressed will can also suffice.

• 2 weeks later...

This actually seems a bonafide rape-murder-by-migrant. When they initially said the suspect had been identified by his unusual hairdo which was matching the color of a single hair found at the scene, I thought it was some less-than-common color like flaming red or bright blond, and therefore likely a native. Good reasoning, but turns out it was dyed a changing hue of blond.

German police arrest 17-year-old linked to Freiburg student murder

A 17-year-old has been arrested in connection with the rape and murder of a medical student in the southwestern German city of Freiburg. The suspect reportedly came from Afghanistan as an unaccompanied refugee.

Freiburg prosecutor Dieter Inhofer confirmed on Saturday that a 17-year-old Afghan had been detained a day earlier. The suspect arrived in Germany in 2015 as an unaccompanied asylum seeker. He had since lived with a family.

The 19-year-old victim was sexually abused and murdered on the way home from a student party. Her body was found in the Dreisam river on October 16th.

According to police, a special commission of 40 investigators found an 18.5-centimeter-long black and bleached blonde hair in a thorn bush, as well as a vital black scarf in the riverbed of the Dreisam - just meters from where the victim's bike was found. During the search, investigators examined three bags full of thorn bushes alone.

DNA was found not only on the corpse, but also on the brake and shift levers of an abandoned bike close to the scene, police said.

The cause of death was drowning, the head of the special commission, David Mueller, reported.

Jogger case still unexplained

Investigators also studied video footage from Freiburg's local transport network which showed a suspect with a striking, black undercut hairstyle. The alleged perpetrator has so far remained silent. Whether there was any kind of relationship between him and the victim remains at the center of the investigation.

The case of a 27-year-old jogger who was raped and murdered at the beginning of November in Endingen near Freiburg also remains unsolved.

"We have no connection to the killing in Endingen," Inhofer said at Saturday's press conference.

http://www.dw.com/en/german-police-arrest-17-year-old-linked-to-freiburg-student-murder/a-36631282

Conversely, this is a rape-murder-on-migrant (albeit a Chinese student) that has made some headlines here not just due to the particular callous nature (couple decides to rape random girl because guy needs more sex, abuse her at length and leave her to die, even dragging her to a remote spot when she hadn't the good manners to be gone already when they checked several hours later), but also because the guy's (step-)parents are both police officers; his mother actually interviewed possible witnesses in the search for the missing student, though she was called in from the weekend like many colleagues and likely didn't know of her son's involvement at that point.

It remains currently unclear what she knew when she arranged for him to make a statement nearly two weeks later, which quickly evolved from witness to suspect interview; the head of the investigation testified that there was no indication that she had interfered with it. There was also a cock-up in the trial when it turned out after several days that one assessor lay justice had not been sworn in, and they had to start over. That's not gotta be a showcase of German efficiency in criminal prosecution to the victim's parents which are co-plaintiffs in the trial.

And to round things out, there's also mention of a possible foreigner-on-foreigner rape in the article below.

Couple in dock for rape-murder of Chinese student

Published: 25 Nov 2016 14:28 GMT+01:00
Updated: 25 Nov 2016 14:28 GMT+01:00

A German couple went on trial on Friday accused of brutally raping and killing a Chinese student in eastern Germany, in a crime that caused outrage in both countries.

The 21-year-old defendants are believed to have lured the 25-year-old architecture student, who had gone jogging in the city of Dessau, to an empty apartment in May this year.

The pair, called Sebastian F. and Xenia I. in local media reports, then allegedly raped the woman repeatedly, leaving her with such severe injuries that they assumed she would die in the flat, prosecutors said.

When the couple returned hours later and found the victim, identified in media reports as Li Yangjie, still alive, they carried the severely wounded woman away and abandoned her in underbrush.

After friends in Germany and China alerted the authorities that she was missing, police organised a search for the woman, who was from the eastern province of Henan. Her corpse was found two days later.

An autopsy found she had suffered blows to the head, torso and extremities.

Sebastian F. is also accused of two further rapes committed in the summer of 2013 in Dessau which only came to light in the course of the other investigation.

Friday's hearing ended after an hour, during which prosecutors read out the charges, court spokesman Frank Straube told AFP.

"The two defendants are not addressing the accusations against them for the time being," he said.

The victim's parents are co-plaintiffs in the case but were not present in the courtroom on Friday, Straube added.

After the murder came to light, hundreds of Chinese students and local residents held a rally in Li's memory to demand justice.

Beyond the shock at the brutality of the crime, the case also caused controversy in Germany and China because the mother and stepfather of Sebastian F. are both police officers.

The trial is scheduled to last until February. The defendants could face up to 15 years in prison if convicted.

Chinese consulate gives warning about Germany

On Wednesday German media reported that the Chinese consulate in Düsseldorf had issued a warning to its citizens to "pay attention to their personal security, particularly in remote areas."

According to Der Westen, the statement in Chinese on the consulate website referred to "the current security situation in its area of responsibility" without going into more specific detail.

The statement was released after a Chinese student was raped on her way home from university in Bochum, North Rhine-Westphalia, earlier in November.

Police are looking for witnesses to the attack, indicating that a woman who was walking her dog and a man who asked the student for directions shortly before the attack could provide clues.

The suspect is described as being between 30 and 35 years old, 1.70 metres tall and of Arabic appearance. On Monday police released a photofit of the man.

http://www.thelocal.de/20161125/german-couple-in-dock-for-rape-murder-of-chinese-student

Edited by BansheeOne

And to round things out, there's also mention of a possible foreigner-on-foreigner rape in the article below.

http://www.thelocal.de/20161125/german-couple-in-dock-for-rape-murder-of-chinese-student

Ah. Police detained a 31-year-old Iraqi living in a refugee shelter with his wife and kids yesterday who is suspected in the rape cases of two Chinese students in Bochum, one attempt in August and one completed in November. Coupled with the Dessau case and the Islamist axe attack on the train near Würzburg in summer which hit mostly Chinese tourists, too, that would make any consulate advise its nationals to "pay attention to their personal security".

There was also a weird case where a couple from a Chinese tourist group just vanished without a trace while visting Neuschwanstein Castle in July. Last I heard they were being looked for Schengen-wide after a search of the area came up empty. Might not be a crime though; strangely not any relatives have come forward. Then there was the Chinese tourist who got some of his stuff stolen in Stuttgart the same month, somehow went to the wrong authority to report it in Heidelberg and signed an asylum application rather than a criminal complaint. He was duly registered as an asylum seeker, got his passport taken away and was sent to a refugee shelter in Dülmen, NRW, where staff thought he was somehow different from the rest. After about a week they managed to extract from him "Asylum? I wanted to travel on to France and Italy ..." from him via a Mandarin translation app ...

I'm filing this here with the other demographic data since it just cropped up after the CDU convention voted to scrap the current dual citizenship regulations (not that there's much chance to find a partner in government who would go along): On 9 May 2011, there were 4.3 million Germans with at least one other citizenship; of which 690,000 Polish, 570,000 Russian, and 530,000 Turkish. There were also 1.5 million Turkish-only, and 800,000 Turkish-descended German-only citizens.

In 2015, Turks remained the most often-naturalized nationality at ca. 19,700 (though dropped considerably from 33,200 in 2012), followed by Poles at 5,900 (4,500 in 2012), Ukrainians at 4,200 (3,700 in 2012) and Kosovarians at 3,800 (3,300 in 2012); Iraqis, Italians, Croats, Greeks and Romanians were all between ca. 3,000 and 3,500, followed by Afghans at ca. 2,600 (2,700 in 2012).

Edited by BansheeOne

Maybe because of the apparent difficulty of them to seek help from the local police.

I'd say they most likely look like easy targets because they are generally (sometimes much) smaller than westerners.

I'm not totally sure about Dessau because public broadcasters are required to remove video content from their websites after some time due to complaints by private competitors about their public financing; but I found this post in the comments section of the website of the ARD's local affiliate MDR (which did report about the case back then, same as SWR reporting about Freiburg):

20.05.2016 02:50 Yu Sufe

Die Nachricht über den Mord an Li Yangjie erhielt ich nicht aus deutschen Medien, sondern von einer chinesischen Studentin. Ich habe ihr zunächst nicht geglaubt, weil weder SPON noch Web.de oder Tagesschau darüber berichtet hatten. Medien, dennen sonst keine Tat blutrüsntig genug sein kann, verharren schweigend? Ich wundere mich darüber noch immer, finde keine Logik darin

http://www.mdr.de/nachrichten/vermischtes/getoetete-studentin-dessau-reaktionen-china-100.html

So they probably didn't. Of course "Focus" points out they have in the past reported on particularly grisly murders like the Höxter House of Horrors in May, the Dominik Brunner case in 2009, or even the start of the trial of the two kids who killed a two-year-old in Liverpool in 1993; but then trials are sometimes more newsworthy because a lot more facts are known by then.

Overall I have to say editorial decisions on what and what not to run are difficult to judge from outside. On TV news in particular, you have maybe ten minutes of air time (subtracting sports and weather) to cover national and international events of the day, and get to judge what's relevant enough to include, based upon factual importance and emotional impact; dedicated news stations and newspapers have more room of course. In the Freiburg case, I would probably have decided to run it, specifically because I could see the public debate impact from the moment the arrest was reported; but then that would have been in itself somewhat of a political decision, exactly what we don't want media to do (unless of course it aligns with our own politics). In the event though, the ZDF's "heute-Journal" covered it on the same day, which goes to show broadcasters make different decisions.

I don't think any national broadcasters covered the Bochum case; it was "just" a rape after all, one of ca. 600 per month. I only posted it because I saw the arrest report pop up on the wire report feed I have on at the office, and because I remembered the reference from the article on the Dessau case I had posted earlier.

Rape-murders are a lot less common; there were 13 last year, 18 in 2014, six in 2013, 19 in 2012, 26 in 2011, 13 in 2010, and so on (general downward trend from 42 in 1991). For this year so far I have found four, including Dessau, Freiburg, the other recent one nearby which so far looks unconnected, and one in Wickrath, NRW, where a 68-year-old raped his 55-year-old girlfriend to death. That's just based upon media reports of course, since there is not yet a national crime report for this year; I suspect there are a lot more, and again those are just the most newsworthy due to their particular callousness, or in the two cases from the Freiburg area because it looked like a serial perpetrator was out and about before attention focussed on a refugee being responsible.

For the non German readers a quick explanation of the massive FAIL of the Tagesschau. If they had just not reported it in their evening news hardly anyone would have noticed. Certainly a blogger would have but his or her article would have reached very, very few.

The Tagesschau created the huge shitstorm itself. On their FB page they explained why they didn't mention the case. They immediately got a ton of critical comments. So many that this case of not reporting certain news became national news.

Actually the Facebook post was after 36 hours of the usual "if you don't report what I want to hear it's a coverup!!!!111!!" screeching already (as the link mentions, they had linked to coverage of their local affiliate on Twitter, but that was not what people wanted). At that point an explanation of policy was inevitable. Some people including other media criticized the way they did it, but the general rational of "if we reported on any development of any murder case we wouldn't have time left for anything else" is of course valid; because there were also more than 2,000 cases of murder and manslaughter each recent year, i.e. half a dozen per day on average.

So at best you can cover some particularly "newsworthy" ones, but here we get into the vaguaries of editorial decisions - what is "newsworthy"? It doesn't get easier because the selection of news informs public debate, but public debate also informs selection of news. As noted, different broadcasters came to different conclusions, and it's hard to say each was "right" or "wrong". For the viewer, "right" is always "what I want to hear", and vice versa; if you don't run news I want to hear it's a coverup, if you run news I don't want to hear it's propaganda, incitement, etc.

Random selection of wire reports from today's ticker: Appeals trial of suspended Saxony cop who stands accused of killing and dismembering a guy whom he got to know via a "canibal chat" (he claims the victim hung himself and he merely fulfilled his wish to be "butchered"). Guy kills his wife by setting her on fire in front of a Kiel hospital (the couple was from Togo but living here for many years). Guy arrested on suspicion of having killed his 83-year-old grandmother and critically injuring his father after a quarrel in an Essen garden club on Wednesday. Former monk sentenced for raping a church volunteer in the basement of a Steingaden, Bavaria church where he was working as a sacristan in May (guy is Polish). Investigations continue against a guy who killed his wife in 1992, welded her body into a metal drum he took along when moving to Schleswig-Holstein, claiming she had moved abroad until her relatives finally managed to get authorities to look into the case in 2014 (he may walk because prosecutors think it might have been manslaughter rather than murder, where the statute of limitation expires after 20 years). What should make national TV news, with ten minutes airtime available?

"Actually the Facebook post was after 36 hours of the usual "if you don't report what I want to hear it's a coverup!!!!111!!" screeching already."

The first time I learned about this was after the explained their decision on FB. Which triggered the massive negative reactions I mentioned. That FB entry was picked up and shared by blogs.

Parts of Central Station were blocked off twice this morning over "unconfirmed threat situations", the second time due to an unattended piece of luggage that turned out to be harmless. Not heard anything about any specific persons being looked for.

Speaking of terrorists, they got the one who planted the bombs in Dresden a few weeks ago. And at least the Deutschlandfunk radio news made it sound like he was a Leftist/Islamist when he actually is a right winger with some connections to Pegida.

How can the well financed state news be so unprofessional???

Edited by Markus Becker

Yesterday on the radio the DLF just said a "man" had been arrested no info on his background or motive at all, which the news often does when the facts don't fit the narrative. I switched to WDR and they said he's a right winger.

Did the DLF lack that info? Or did they think the fact that he has Pegida connections was not relevant?

Yesterday on the radio the DLF just said a "man" had been arrested no info on his background or motive at all, which the news often does when the facts don't fit the narrative. I switched to WDR and they said he's a right winger.

Did the DLF lack that info? Or did they think the fact that he has Pegida connections was not relevant?

Could be that DLF did not have that bit of info, but WDR did. Or they did not want a PEGIDA mob at the door. Or...

Could be many reasons.

Frankly, if people of any political persuasion stopped reading unsupported interpretations into news reports just because they like feeling offended, everybody's blood pressure would be a lot lower. I tend to recommend having more sex to work off the frustrations of life instead.

Frankly, if people of any political persuasion stopped reading unsupported interpretations into news reports just because they like feeling offended, everybody's blood pressure would be a lot lower. I tend to recommend having more sex to work off the frustrations of life instead.

Hippie! ;)

Yes to the latter but the former is a bit more tricky. The press uses certain code phrases. Some are very obvious but others like "man" or "youths" are not. Take also into consideration that the press code calls for withholding info on race, nationality, religion if it is not relevant. That of course has the opposite effect of the intended one.

People wonder if the press doesn't have any more info or is lying by omission.

Some news in the Freiburg rape murder case:

According to investigations by Stern magazine, which were confirmed by the suspect's Greek lawyer, in 2014 Khavari was sentenced to a 10-year prison sentence for robbing a 20-year old student in Corfu and throwing her over a cliff in 2013. The victim survived with heavy injuries. Khavari was released after 1.5 years and moved to Germany, where the authorities were ignorant of his earlier conviction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Maria_Ladenburger#Suspect

The really interesting bit is his age. Back in 2013 he told the Greeks he was 17 and they doubted that. He must have gotten cosmetic surgery to make him look younger because the thorough authorities of the much vaunted German constitutional state apparently saw no reason to doubt him, when he told them in 2015 that he was 17 years old.