N O V A

BansheeOne

I think they had all their vehicles outside plus some visitors.

What was actually driven around the display track was

- randomly selected people were given rides in a FV432

- a Sherman and an LVT took part in a Marine reenactment

- "Filipino mounted scouts" rode around on horses and an armored scout car

- the little FT17 was finished and they did drive it out of the shed which was probably the second biggest crowd pleaser of the day (oh look a 100 year old tank!)

- an M113 and a Walker Bulldog

- a Duster which ran out of fuel (!) and the crew had no clue in which hole to pour it (they figured it out after a few minutes)

- a very loud PT-76 which was the only Soviet vehicle they drove around

- an EFV prototype (!!!) at the very end

The biggest crowd pleaser was not any vehicle but a FLAMETHROWER (!!!!!!) demo. They did it twice, first as standalone show and then as part of the Marine reenactment. It was actually impressive.

If I got any details wrong I'm sorry, I was actually with a cold and mild fever (not the first time I manage to get a cold right before events like this...) plus it was just too much to take in.

Edited by Fritz

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Flamethower Demo is a regular thing. Marine Corps base and all that being near by...

The M113s and FV432s are regular rides. They even do an AFV familiarization course for 'civilians' from Quantico.

The FT17 is this year's show piece. That's been in the shop for several years. I was there when a fellow who had parts for the truck chassis that the FT17 is derived from brought some of the bits by they needed. I think it was the transmission and axle or something that was the key bit Marc was needing.

No S Tank? That's usually a common runner given the Gas Turbine and it's crazy speed.

Were my lads there with the Dingo?

Edited by rmgill

Yeah, they were working on that FT17 when we were there.

I wouldn't believe that was actually an EFV in the shed and looked for alternate explanations what it might be for a week or so. :D

Yeah, looking at all those vehicles I felt very sorry that I couldn't fit the I&I to the Open House.

No S Tank? That's usually a common runner given the Gas Turbine and it's crazy speed.

They had the 2 Strvs in the far back of the show area, one was "kneeling" forward showing off the fancy suspension. But they didn't drive them around.

Were my lads there with the Dingo?

Oh yes the Dingo was there with a few other UK vehicles, I took photos but I didn't talk to anybody, probably got distracted, I don't remember.

Edited by Fritz

(...)

Oh yes the Dingo was there with a few other UK vehicles, I took photos but I didn't talk to anybody, probably got distracted, I don't remember.

Yeah, I could perfectly imagine the face-splitting, ear-to-ear smile you must have wear during the whole event :D

The EFV example is the land systems development prototype. It's been there for several years. Alan (the museum's owner) has connections, as is probably rather obvious.

Have you been to the Danville museum? One guy who noticed my Munster t-shirt told me to go there but that would have to be another trip I'd need to plan. It's getting a bit too far for a weekend trip, VMMV is only about 4 hours for me but Danville would be over 7 hours one way...