N O V A

BansheeOne

I'm coming back to the mention of the VMMV on the Luchs thread in the AFV forum. After finally finding out their location (seems putting it on their website is beneath them), I see it's conveniently clustered with the USMC Museum at Quantico, the Manassas National Battlefield Park and the Udvar Hazy Center, which I had all eyed as possible ancillary activities for last year's I&I, but didn't get around to.

As noted I had intended to go back to DC, also to tour the Capitol, and use this as a jump-off point for another trip to PFT. However, there are some timing conflicts. I cannot make the weekend of the VMMV open house on 24/25 September because it's sandwiched between two parliamentary session weeks for me. Of my brothers who would have liked to attend another PFT class, only one would actually be free to do so this year - but again not in the first week of October like last year, which would fit myself very well.

Also, judging from last year's meagre attendance, a weekend would be preferrable if we wanted to have our own class for USians to attend and meet the normal minimum threshold of eight participants. However, Pat's schedule already has all weekends in that timeframe occupied. The other option for me this year is the parliamentary summer recess from 9 July to 4 September, though I will likely have my birthday party on the last weekend of July.

Incidentally the schedule still shows the weekend of 19-21 August free, though of course that may be because Pat is off himself. Then again a possibility would be just to join an open class. Or just forego that part entirely; maybe it needs a longer runup, and I should plan this for next year. If there is to be a range event, maybe something casual could be arranged by local participants, obviating the need for a four-hour drive to WV; AFAIK there are several TankNetters in the NOVA area.

Thoughts?

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beware that VMMV is not normally open except for special events. the Open House is one such event. However, I suspect I can, with the right head count, get some specific access outside of the Open House weekend by way of the curator (Marc) and/or Alan himself.

Bookending a PFT event with something at VMMV may be the way to do things. Likely Pat may want to glob onto a VMMV tour himself, especially as Alan/Marc do some level of training for the gov't types from the nearby environs.

Beware that VMMV is not normally open except for special events. the Open House is one such event. However, I suspect I can, with the right head count, get some specific access outside of the Open House weekend by way of the curator (Marc) and/or Alan himself.

I suspected that, which might mean the same attendance requirements for VMMV and PFT; that makes my idea for a largely private trip dropping the latter kinda redundant. As it makes the weekend fixation, since you can't do both on one weekend. Question is about sequence of events; people might want to do one part, but not the other, joining later or leaving early.

I'm in for the DC/NoVa portion for sure, if my father in-law is up for it then I will also do the shooting portion. I'm pretty flexible about dates. If the father in-law is in then we'll be driving from Iowa, otherwise I'll fly into DC.

Got a message back from Marc. He says that small private viewings can be arranged. I don't know what's required for getting rides or running something around, but they do need to exercie the hardware as most is running, so probably not too unlikely.

This year is a no go for me. But the chances of me being able to participate next year are very good. Every year in August there's a week long holiday in Japan called Obon. It gives me one week off of work. Total vacation days are August, Sunday 6th to Sunday 13th. Although by then, I'd think I would have established enough seniority at my workplace and have gone a long time without taking extra off-work days so for this event, I think I would be able to add an additional week off to it, thus extending it to the weekend of Sunday 20th. So it would be a 2 week stay in the US that could include any I&I. And my brother is practically guaranteed to go if I go.

If we're doing something in or near NoVA, I'll make every effort to be available. Especially if we're visiting the listed sites, as I pass some of them almost daily. Not sure a full training course would be in the cards for me, but a visit of various and sundry historic and museum sites would be very much doable for me.

It currently looks like the German cell would be about four, only half of which are interested in shooting though, and some in fact more in DC itself rather than the NOVA military sights (for a given value; Arlington Cemetery and the Holocaust Museum have been mentioned as points of interest). Looking over the other responses so far, another PFT class will probably not be part of activities, needing a longer runup even within the family; maybe next year.

At this point we're treating this as a private trip covering different interests in the area which any TankNetters are welcome to latch on to. The rough plan is to establish camp outside DC, possibly at the extreme of the WMATA rail system in Reston, three quarters of the way to Dulles; there's a Sheraton with affordable prices half a mile from the station, unusually even connected by a footpath for maybe a ten minutes' walk, just a short drive from the airport, with good public transport into the city while NOVA activities by car don't require to drive into or out of it any time, also permitting parallel action.

As mentioned if somebody local wanted to arrange a private range event, there's still some interest, and of course we'd be very grateful if Ryan could get us access to VMMV. Also open to further suggestions. We're not settled on the timeframe yet beyond this being in my summer break; pointers about typical local weather conditions are welcome (I hear Washington summers can be murderous).

I daresay plans for 2018 shouldn't conflict with this summer. :D

So weather-wise I guess it would be prudent to do this as late in the summer break as possible, though I would like to have the last August/ first September week for preparation of resuming parliamentary sessions. Obviously it would also be good to have the most popular activities like VMMV on a weekend, so locals can attend more easily. This pretty much leads back to the last full week in August.

I daresay plans for 2018 shouldn't conflict with this summer. :D

So weather-wise I guess it would be prudent to do this as late in the summer break as possible, though I would like to have the last August/ first September week for preparation of resuming parliamentary sessions. Obviously it would also be good to have the most popular activities like VMMV on a weekend, so locals can attend more easily. This pretty much leads back to the last full week in August.

No, but the fundraising would have a crimp put into it. Yours truly lives by the Prussian value of being thrifty. ;) But seriously, unless it's the middle of July (I live in Louisiana, so DC summers are [slightly] milder than mine) I can't swing going up there and getting ready for the school year. Boo!

Edited by FlyingCanOpener

It currently looks like the German cell would be about four

I'm guessing you will be flying directly to DC? NYC area feature in your plans or you have to think about it, or not at all?

Yeah, planning to fly into and out of Dulles, concentrating on one area this time. There was some interest in NYC by parties which couldn't attend in the end; maybe at a future point, with a longer runup, along with a return to PFT.

Gettysburg is only a 90 min drive from Reston.

See Banshee, it worked out in the end.*

* last year we had to skip Gettysburg on our way south due to time constraints

July and August are hot humid horror shows in DC, although a good hat to keep the sun off, decent hydration and doing outdoor activities in the morning can mitigate the misery.

417dc9abcbf2047f4da7559eeccebba3.jpg

About that hot, at least!!

This might make for an interesting destination.

http://www.monitorcenter.org

Looks like the route from Reston would pass close to a fair number of civil war sites.

The whole area, all the way down to Fredricksburg and others is full of various ACW battle fields. Manassas (Bull Run) and Second Manassas being very close to Reston.

Edited by rmgill