A New Book On The M4 Sherman. Ugh

nitflegal

In the meantime, we've solved most of our stoppers with the Firepower reprint, so I think we'll be taking pre-orders about two months from now.

I'm not going to condemn this book as useless out of hand. If it's 500 pages in size, I presume there is going to be -some- sourced information which will be worth reading. A bit like Cooper. Read, but evaluate.

Manic, did you have a post or a video about this topic awhile back?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since we are talking Sherman tank books here, I thought I would ask everyone some advice. I have been thinking about doing some short videos for my blog. I figure it would be easy to do some book review videos. I shot a practice video of me doing an overview of the various books out there on the M4. I thought I might list the books I own that I included in the review to make sure I had not missed any particularly important ones.

In the video I plan to cover:

Sherman: an Illustrated History by Chamberlain and Ellis (1969)

Sherman: A history of the American Medium Tank by Richard Hunnicutt (1978)

M4 Sherman by George Forty (1987)

M4 Sherman at War by Michael Green (2007)

Armored Thunderbolt by Steve Zaloga (2008)

M4 Sherman Haynes Manual by Pat Ware (2012)

Son of the Sherman: Sherman Design and Development by Kurt Laughlin and Patrick Satnsell

Sherman books I don't have or didn't feel needed to be included:

The various Vanguard and New Vanguard Sherman books from Osprey

Sherman book by Roger Ford

The old AFV Weapons Profile on the Sherman by Ellis and Chamberlain

Squadron/Signal Sherman books

Also, I am keeping the video limited to book specifically on the history of the Sherman, I am not including memoirs about the Sherman in this list. Therefore, no Deathtraps (that book will get it's own video I suspect). Same goes for books on US armor history in WW2 such as Bailey's Faint Praise.

Am I missing anything?

In the meantime, we've solved most of our stoppers with the Firepower reprint, so I think we'll be taking pre-orders about two months from now.

I'm not going to condemn this book as useless out of hand. If it's 500 pages in size, I presume there is going to be -some- sourced information which will be worth reading. A bit like Cooper. Read, but evaluate.

I'm not Mr. Moran, obviously, but he did a fine video on the subject here...I still hang around with my wargaming buddies 25 years on now and this has put to bed many, many arguments we used to have back in the day, and slain a lot of the beasts of "conventional wisdom":

I'm not Mr. Moran, obviously, but he did a fine video on the subject here...I still hang around with my wargaming buddies 25 years on now and this has put to bed many, many arguments we used to have back in the day, and slain a lot of the beasts of "conventional wisdom":

That is the one. Thank you.

Since we are talking Sherman tank books here, I thought I would ask everyone some advice. I have been thinking about doing some short videos for my blog. I figure it would be easy to do some book review videos. I shot a practice video of me doing an overview of the various books out there on the M4. I thought I might list the books I own that I included in the review to make sure I had not missed any particularly important ones.

Son of the Sherman: Sherman Design and Development by Kurt Laughlin and Patrick Satnsell

Also, I am keeping the video limited to book specifically on the history of the Sherman, I am not including memoirs about the Sherman in this list. Therefore, no Deathtraps (that book will get it's own video I suspect). Same goes for books on US armor history in WW2 such as Bailey's Faint Praise.

Am I missing anything?

Depending on the thrust of the reviews you want to do, Zaloga's two Osprey Duel books on the Sherman may be useful as they put it into context with its primary adversaries (Panther and Pz IV).

Am I missing anything?

Depending on the thrust of the reviews you want to do, Zaloga's two Osprey Duel books on the Sherman may be useful as they put it into context with its primary adversaries (Panther and Pz IV).

I have those two books and was thinking of including them. I'll at least give them a mention, along with his M4 vs Type 97 book.

Be forewarned: Sparky is down in the comments making his usual bullshit statements about armor, although why he thought it was salient to drag out his Abrams-bashing in response to a video from The Chieftain talking about allied armor in WWII is beyond me. But, remember, this is the guy who envisions flying M113s shooting down MiG-29s.

So every Sherman lost resulted in ten dead armored division soldiers?

Either that or the 1st AD suffered about 48,000 KIA, since the other 15 divisions suffered about 12,000...

To be fair, the blurb says "killed and wounded" which seems about the right number. The implication that those casualties were due to undergunned Sherman death traps is a steaming pile of fertilizer.

Edited by R011

Be forewarned: Sparky is down in the comments making his usual bullshit statements about armor, although why he thought it was salient to drag out his Abrams-bashing in response to a video from The Chieftain talking about allied armor in WWII is beyond me. But, remember, this is the guy who envisions flying M113s shooting down MiG-29s.

A long time ago I took a solemn vow to never again read the comments section of a youtube video. I found it to be an essential step in maintaining what little faith I have left in humanity.

Either that or the 1st AD suffered about 48,000 KIA, since the other 15 divisions suffered about 12,000...

To be fair, the blurb says "killed and wounded" which seems about the right number. The implication that those casualties were due to undergunned Sherman death traps is a steaming pile of fertilizer.

Fair? I don't wanna be fair. I want to kick this kinda crapola in the nads before it spreads too far. :D

How is Sparky naming himself in the tube?

User SPS:

"First off we Americans love bullshiting ourselves. The M1a2 SEP is a piece of shit and the M60a3 Patton tank is so much better (ODLY ENOUGH IT IS NEWER THAN MOST M1A3). A better turret and a new engine means the best tank in our arsenal (IT ALREADY IS). It would be so much better if we just used them. Cheaper, better armored, and newer. So wtf"

...immediately cites "Blacktail Defense" as a source.

If this were facebook, this is where I'd post the "Full Retard" meme. As it is....Glue sniffer. Only explanation. Also, I had Moran's video in mind too when I wrote my questions on the previous page, as I'd just watched it the week before and was only half remembering it.

Fair? I don't wanna be fair. I want to kick this kinda crapola in the nads before it spreads too far. :D

:D

Seems the author of the book in the OP has been busy doing some self-promotion over at the Armorama forum , Finescale modeler forum and the Axis History Forum.

Seems the author of the book in the OP has been busy doing some self-promotion over at the Armorama forum , Finescale modeler forum and the Axis History Forum.

Quite. I read the posts on these other three forums and all mention of the upcoming book seems to have done is bring up old animosities amongst the regulars there. :wacko:

New(er) Guy Question: Who is 'Sparky'?

Mike Sparks. He's a low-level REMF who was refused service as a Marine, and has a hateboner for them as a result. He's got these insane notions not the least of which that the M113 is called (not should be called but actually is called) the "Gavin" after Airborne General James Gavin, to the point he's tried to sockpuppet brigade the Wikipedia page into changing it's data on that subject (failed). He also thinks the M113 is the ultimate combat vehicle up to and including being able to fly and shoot down dedicated air superiority aircraft. He also hates the M1, which for some God-damned reason he thinks was ONLY successful in Iraq (twice) because the M1 was only designed to function in flat desert terrain, ignoring the fact that the tank was built to face our primary enemy in the 1970s and 80s, the USSR, on the rolling plains and in the forests of EUROPE. He hates the Bradley, the Stryker, etc.etc. and specifically refers to the Stryker and other wheeled APCs and AFVs as "Wheeled death-traps". He's not above using terrorist's footage of VBIED attacks on various not-M113 vehicles in Iraq and Afghanistan to prove his "point" all the while neglecting to ever mention that driving over 200 kilos of shaped charge would reduce an M113 to confetti as well. If crew and passengers die in anything but an M113 he celebrates it in some twisted way as showing the superiority of an M113. For example early in OIF two LVTP-7s were hit and burned out, killing and injuring many. Well, clearly M113s would have shrugged off the RPG rounds that destroyed those two vehicles so therefore once again the M113 should've been used.

He presents himself as some kind of soi-distant genius in the chain of logistics and command for the US Army but as far as anyone can tell all he has ever driven is a metal desk in a warehouse.

If you want to lose precious time better spent watching paint dry, look up "Blacktail Defense" on Youtube or google it in general. Once the bile rises and you snap and start to respond to his idiocy get ready for multiple attacks from him and his band of sockpuppet accounts, and get used to the word "narcissist" because he'll be calling you one, a lot; it is his favorite (only?) insult.

I think that about covers Mike Sparks.

Mike Sparks. He's a low-level REMF who was refused service as a Marine, and has a hateboner for them as a result. He's got these insane notions not the least of which that the M113 is called (not should be called but actually is called) the "Gavin" after Airborne General James Gavin, to the point he's tried to sockpuppet brigade the Wikipedia page into changing it's data on that subject (failed). He also thinks the M113 is the ultimate combat vehicle up to and including being able to fly and shoot down dedicated air superiority aircraft. He also hates the M1, which for some God-damned reason he thinks was ONLY successful in Iraq (twice) because the M1 was only designed to function in flat desert terrain, ignoring the fact that the tank was built to face our primary enemy in the 1970s and 80s, the USSR, on the rolling plains and in the forests of EUROPE. He hates the Bradley, the Stryker, etc.etc. and specifically refers to the Stryker and other wheeled APCs and AFVs as "Wheeled death-traps". He's not above using terrorist's footage of VBIED attacks on various not-M113 vehicles in Iraq and Afghanistan to prove his "point" all the while neglecting to ever mention that driving over 200 kilos of shaped charge would reduce an M113 to confetti as well. If crew and passengers die in anything but an M113 he celebrates it in some twisted way as showing the superiority of an M113. For example early in OIF two LVTP-7s were hit and burned out, killing and injuring many. Well, clearly M113s would have shrugged off the RPG rounds that destroyed those two vehicles so therefore once again the M113 should've been used.

He presents himself as some kind of soi-distant genius in the chain of logistics and command for the US Army but as far as anyone can tell all he has ever driven is a metal desk in a warehouse.

If you want to lose precious time better spent watching paint dry, look up "Blacktail Defense" on Youtube or google it in general. Once the bile rises and you snap and start to respond to his idiocy get ready for multiple attacks from him and his band of sockpuppet accounts, and get used to the word "narcissist" because he'll be calling you one, a lot; it is his favorite (only?) insult.

I think that about covers Mike Sparks.

Thanks. I'll make sure to stay clear of that garbanzo bean. He sounds like he's got more projection than an IMax.

If you really want to take a trip down the rabbit hole, here is his website, combatreform.org. The lunatic actually got a couple articles published in ARMOR magazine, including one as recently as 2012. Also, he thinks James Bond is real.