Armenia Azerbaijan Conflict

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Azerbaijan lost only one tank to a mine explosion and no BMP.

According to their claims. Amyway it looks like AZ side pre-planned surprise strike and, even without achieving any major breakthrough, managed to take some AM side fortified positions including one important hill.

It wasn't a large-scale offensive and the purpose was to liberate strategic heights in Fuzuli direction and around the Talysh village (Armenians used to shoot on Azerbaijani settlements from these heights), both of which was fulfilled.

Edited by AttilaA

It wasn't a large-scale offensive and the purpose was to liberate several strategic heights in Fuzuli direction and around the Talysh village (Armenians used to shoot on Azerbaijani settlements from these heights), both of which was fulfilled.

Captured Armenian post on Talysh heights.

Only AZ leadership may know that; there is no way to know it for outsider especially now, when insisting that "It was great victory" key to political survival of Baky heads. As for me both sides lost: AZ side failed to transform their huge superiority in modern arms (purchased during oil income years) into strategic gains - now this gap is going to stop growing as AZ struggling against falling income; AM side, while enjoying 20 years of "we are the victors" moods failed to prepare properly for the strike that was doomed to come - and it was only worsened by "black years" of blockade, as now Armenia is only shadow of mighty republic Soviets left to them.

Article describing AZ view http://altyn73.livejournal.com/883299.html

There is indeed a way to know. Was there a mobilization of armed forces? It's very obvious that a small part of the military was involved in these operations.

First of all Azerbaijan has a sizeable oil fund ($40 billion) at least for its size, so it's not exactly cash strapped. Secondly the 2016 state budget is based on oil price of $25 per barrel, while now the oil price is hovering around $40 (still low I know). This month there will be a meeting of oil producing countries to reduce the production (or keep them at January levels), which is supposed to increase the prices in case of an agreement (not to previous high levels, but I think even $60 are fairly optimal). Also Azerbaijan's natural gas exports from Shah Deniz 2 field will come online in next years, so there will be an additional source of income.

Edited by AttilaA

No mobilization is hardly reason to insist surprise attack was not planned to gain much more then actually achieved. As far as i understand AM ( i mean of Armenia-the-state, not Karabakh) army also took no part in fighting. Re AZ perspectives let's wait and see, as far as know currently it was worst hit by oil prices at post-Soviet states.

The size of forces involved in the fighting doesn't say so.

There is no difference between Armenian military and the so-called "Karabakh army" in reality. It's just Armenian military units stationed in Karabakh.

Edited by AttilaA

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I didn't say that I was certain but it seems that way. It's covered by a tarp but it's still possible to make out the shape at least to some degree (I'm talking about the rear shape) and it's standing on a tripod.

Edited by AttilaA

Any reports of the bmp3 performance?

Such details would be difficult to obtain. But a former commander who visited the area (where the same BMP-3s are present) said in an interview that some of the "new" weapons acquired over the past few years were "tested" with success in the combat.

Edited by AttilaA