tanknet.org

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Major shift in the cabinet with several dismissals, and the Chancellor Sajid Javid resigning instead of dismissing some advisors. This has been described as a shift towards Dominic Cummings establishing control, though I think that is a little too I claudius for my taste.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51474171

Forget staying close to EU after Brexit, chancellor tells business

Sajid Javid sets out his vision for UK economy in interview with the FT

January 17, 2020 9:27 pm by Roula Khalaf , George Parker and Chris Giles in London

Sajid Javid, the UK chancellor, has delivered a tough message to business leaders to end their campaign for Britain to stay in lock-step with Brussels rules after Brexit, telling them they have already had three years to prepare for a new trading relationship.

[...]

The chancellor is the only cabinet minister publicly assured by Mr Johnson that he or she will still be in their job after a February reshuffle.

[...]

https://www.ft.com/content/18ddc610-3940-11ea-a6d3-9a26f8c3cba4

Oh.

Cabinet reshuffle: Sajid Javid resigns as chancellor

13 February 2020

Sajid Javid has resigned as chancellor as Boris Johnson carries out a post-Brexit cabinet reshuffle.

Mr Javid rejected an order to fire his team of aides, saying "no self-respecting minister" could accept such a condition.

He has been replaced as chancellor by Chief Secretary to the Treasury Rishi Sunak - who just seven months ago was a junior housing minister.

Mr Javid had been due to deliver his first Budget in four weeks' time.

The former home secretary was appointed chancellor by Mr Johnson when he became prime minister in July.

His resignation follows rumours of tensions between Mr Javid and the prime minister's senior adviser Dominic Cummings.

[...]

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-51491662

Yes, one suspects giving an impossible demand was just an easy way out of his previous assurance he would keep his job.

What does this mean? Its difficult to know, though its interesting that the person just made Chancellor turns out to be a relative nonentity (I thought Risi Sunak was the cult leader the Beatles visited but apparently not).

I wonder if this is a means of bringing down the chancellorship, previously a sacred cow and number 2 to PM in many respects, down a peg or two. They clearly need to shake them down to invest in many of the infrastructure projects they want to cut soil on. But that's pure speculation on my part.

Clearly Javid's "aides" were not weird enough for Mr Cummings.

I'm sure it's far better to have an assistant underpants gnome as Chancellor. Can't threaten BoJo for a few years yet.

For those who forget the past and did not properly mummify parents to keep them available for eternal life:

Home Office tells man, 101, his parents must confirm ID

Request caused by apparent tech glitch came when Italian Giovanni Palmiero applied to stay in UK post-Brexit

Y2k bug still not fixed. They think he is one year old! ;)

50226115_1128992303940547_56921890529591

But they have Brexit now!

in other news Greece wants stolen ancient marble returned back before any trade agreement.

https://news.sky.com/story/row-over-elgin-marbles-as-eu-demands-return-of-unlawfully-removed-cultural-objects-11937363

Karma is a bitch.

Edited by Panzermann

Trade with the Greeks? What will they trade, debt liability to Germany? S/F....Ken M

I think they still make decent Feta and oil. But if I understand correctly the EU requires unanimous consent from the member states for trade deals, so the Greeks can basically stop any progress until they are appeased.

• 1 month later...

Did not last long

Fruit and veg ‘will run out’ unless Britain charters planes to fly in farm workers from eastern Europe

Some 90,000 positions need to be filled, many in just a few weeks’ time. One leading supplier, the charity Concordia, was looking to bring in around 10,000 labourers – half from the EU and the rest from Russia, Moldova, Ukraine, Belarus, Georgia and Barbados. But all of the non-EU countries are closed. On Wednesday, in a big setback, Ukraine extended its lockdown from 2 April until 23 April.