Brexit

Corinthian

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Major shift in the cabinet with several dismissals, and the Chancellor Sajid Javid resigning instead of dismissing some advisors. This has been described as a shift towards Dominic Cummings establishing control, though I think that is a little too I claudius for my taste.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51474171

Forget staying close to EU after Brexit, chancellor tells business

Sajid Javid sets out his vision for UK economy in interview with the FT

January 17, 2020 9:27 pm by Roula Khalaf , George Parker and Chris Giles in London

Sajid Javid, the UK chancellor, has delivered a tough message to business leaders to end their campaign for Britain to stay in lock-step with Brussels rules after Brexit, telling them they have already had three years to prepare for a new trading relationship.

[...]

The chancellor is the only cabinet minister publicly assured by Mr Johnson that he or she will still be in their job after a February reshuffle.

[...]

https://www.ft.com/content/18ddc610-3940-11ea-a6d3-9a26f8c3cba4

Oh.

Cabinet reshuffle: Sajid Javid resigns as chancellor

13 February 2020

Sajid Javid has resigned as chancellor as Boris Johnson carries out a post-Brexit cabinet reshuffle.

Mr Javid rejected an order to fire his team of aides, saying "no self-respecting minister" could accept such a condition.

He has been replaced as chancellor by Chief Secretary to the Treasury Rishi Sunak - who just seven months ago was a junior housing minister.

Mr Javid had been due to deliver his first Budget in four weeks' time.

The former home secretary was appointed chancellor by Mr Johnson when he became prime minister in July.

His resignation follows rumours of tensions between Mr Javid and the prime minister's senior adviser Dominic Cummings.

[...]

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-51491662

Yes, one suspects giving an impossible demand was just an easy way out of his previous assurance he would keep his job.

What does this mean? Its difficult to know, though its interesting that the person just made Chancellor turns out to be a relative nonentity (I thought Risi Sunak was the cult leader the Beatles visited but apparently not).

I wonder if this is a means of bringing down the chancellorship, previously a sacred cow and number 2 to PM in many respects, down a peg or two. They clearly need to shake them down to invest in many of the infrastructure projects they want to cut soil on. But that's pure speculation on my part.

Clearly Javid's "aides" were not weird enough for Mr Cummings.

I'm sure it's far better to have an assistant underpants gnome as Chancellor. Can't threaten BoJo for a few years yet.

For those who forget the past and did not properly mummify parents to keep them available for eternal life:

Home Office tells man, 101, his parents must confirm ID

Request caused by apparent tech glitch came when Italian Giovanni Palmiero applied to stay in UK post-Brexit

Y2k bug still not fixed. They think he is one year old! ;)

50226115_1128992303940547_56921890529591

But they have Brexit now!

in other news Greece wants stolen ancient marble returned back before any trade agreement.

https://news.sky.com/story/row-over-elgin-marbles-as-eu-demands-return-of-unlawfully-removed-cultural-objects-11937363

Karma is a bitch.

Edited by Panzermann

Trade with the Greeks? What will they trade, debt liability to Germany? S/F....Ken M

I think they still make decent Feta and oil. But if I understand correctly the EU requires unanimous consent from the member states for trade deals, so the Greeks can basically stop any progress until they are appeased.

Remainers wrong again - they claimed that these would be made in France. Edited by DB

• 1 month later...

Did not last long

Fruit and veg ‘will run out’ unless Britain charters planes to fly in farm workers from eastern Europe

Some 90,000 positions need to be filled, many in just a few weeks’ time. One leading supplier, the charity Concordia, was looking to bring in around 10,000 labourers – half from the EU and the rest from Russia, Moldova, Ukraine, Belarus, Georgia and Barbados. But all of the non-EU countries are closed. On Wednesday, in a big setback, Ukraine extended its lockdown from 2 April until 23 April.

• 6 months later...
On 9/17/2016 at 1:35 AM, FlyingCanOpener said:

I miss Hans Strelow, our resident Luxemburgian. :(

Thank you for the kind words. I'm back after being blocked for years. It might take some time before I catch up.

Cheers

Hans

• 3 weeks later...

Brexit negotiations expected to resume despite UK’s tough rhetoric

Michael Gove confirms British government’s door to re-engagement with Brussels is ‘ajar’

Daniel Boffey in Brussels and Peter Walker in London
Sun 18 Oct 2020 17.36 EDT

Brussels expects the Brexit negotiations to resume within days, as Michael Gove confirmed that despite Downing Street’s tough rhetoric the door remained “ajar” on re-engagement.

The EU’s chief negotiator, Michel Barnier, will hold a video conference call with his British counterpart, David Frost, on Monday afternoon to discuss the structure of future talks.

While it is probable that Downing Street will need to appear tough by pushing back against an immediate resumption of the trade and security negotiations, sources on both sides expect the current suspension to be short.

The Confederation of British Industry (CBI) and BusinessEurope, the body representing European industry, have urged the British government and the European commission to show leadership and swiftly return to the negotiating table.

“Now is the time for historic political leadership”, read a joint statement by the CBI and organisations representing 190,000 businesses and 7 million employees in the UK. “With compromise and tenacity, a deal can be done.”

BusinessEurope’s director general, Markus Beyrer, said: “An agreement is still possible and it is the only way to avoid uncertainty and major disruption.”

There remains a further four weeks when there could be worthwhile negotiations before a deal would need to be ready for the ratification process in Westminster and the European parliament.

Gove confirmed on Sunday that he wanted a trade deal and that the government had not closed the door on the negotiations.

“It is ajar,” he said during an interview on BBC One’s Andrew Marr Show. “We hope that the EU will change their position – we’re certainly not saying that if they do change their position that we can’t talk to them.”

One senior EU diplomat said they did not expect the standoff to last long given the British government’s evident desire to avoid a double hit to the economy from a no-deal outcome and the second wave of coronavirus.

“If they want a deal, they will need to continue talking and not leave the negotiating table for long,” an EU source said. “In any case, the EU position very clear: let’s keep talking. There is a deal somewhere out there. [It is] up to the UK to make up its mind.”

“We will just need David [Frost] and Michel [Barnier] to kiss and make up,” said a second diplomat.

The UK prime minister, Boris Johnson, had said on Friday that further negotiations with the EU would be pointless without a “fundamental change” in Brussels’ position.

[...] 

Meanwhile, the government has launched a “time is running out” campaign to urge businesses to prepare for the end of the transition period. From 1 January, whether there is a trade deal or not, the UK will be outside the single market and customs union, creating extra paperwork for businesses. HMRC is writing to 200,000 firms that trade with the EU to set out the new customs and tax rules coming into place, and advise how to deal with them.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/18/brexit-negotiations-expected-to-resume-despite-uks-tough-rhetoric