Tank Challenge 2016 In Grafenwöhr

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IIRC US, Slovenia and someone else (Poland IIRC) buggered part with "rescuing wounded" by running over a dummy. :)

Rescued the wounded from a terrible fate of a lifetime of pain and disability (as well as waiting times at the VA) by mercifully running over the dummy. I say they did well. :lol:

Edited by Corinthian
  • 4 weeks later...

More about results, Slovenians were first in tank revovery in NBC conditions and rapid fire gunnery, second in gunnery overall with 80% of hits.

Given they had oldest tanks, and only ones w/o thermals I'd say it was excelent or maybe it performance of other teams that was bad.

If you can read Slovenian:

Edited by bojan

More about results, Slovenians were first in tank revovery in NBC conditions and rapid fire gunnery, second in gunnery overall with 80% of hits.

Given they had oldest tanks, and only ones w/o thermals I'd say it was excelent or maybe it performance of other teams that was bad.

If you can read Slovenian:

Very interesting Bojan, many thanks for bringing the article. By the way, what happened to the Croatian upgrade of Kuwait's M84? Nothing was ever heard again.

Edited by alejandro_

Found out, 20 rounds on various targets in shortest amount of time, penalty for every miss. No idea about tank moving/target moving.

20 is interesting, it is more than ready round count on any other tank, but 2 rounds less then T-72/M-84 autoloader... Which means other teams had to replenish ready ammo at some point, potentially loosing time.

Edited by bojan
  • 10 months later...

Amazing videos!

It would be such a blast to participate to this kind of multinational multitank competition!

So many skills and strength are tested.

Well done Austria with older LEOs.

Edited by Tomi Sarvanko

What kind of ammunition were the participants using? In this video, at 1:22 it is seen that the Ukrainians are using training rounds, which is not especially accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPWIUuxK9DM

Regards

Great video...thanks! It's amazing to see T-64s firing at Graf. We used to joke about it in the old days...thinking what would it be like had the balloon gone up, to actually fight Soviet tanks at Graf.

Great video...thanks! It's amazing to see T-64s firing at Graf. We used to joke about it in the old days...thinking what would it be like had the balloon gone up, to actually fight Soviet tanks at Graf.

I am still trying to understand the upgrade which was applied before the contest. Suposedly it was supposed to consist of radios and thermal sights. For the later I would expect to see some changes in the optics (as in T-72s upgraded in Syria). Is there any image from the inside of the tank confirming it was upgraded?

I can remember in the early 80's we knew almost nothing about the T-64, it was the stuff of nightmares to a M-60A3 tanker. Probably why I'm still more curious about that tank than any of the ones since...

I remember them telling us it was pretty much a failure as a design with severe transmission problems (it supposedly wailed like a banshee in the Moscow parades) and a deadly-for-the-crew autoloader. We were also told there were relatively few of them and they were mostly kept in Russia. I also remember them being highly concerned about the T-80 for which there wasn't even a decent picture.

I can remember in the early 80's we knew almost nothing about the T-64, it was the stuff of nightmares to a M-60A3 tanker. Probably why I'm still more curious about that tank than any of the ones since...

I remember them telling us it was pretty much a failure as a design with severe transmission problems (it supposedly wailed like a banshee in the Moscow parades) and a deadly-for-the-crew autoloader. We were also told there were relatively few of them and they were mostly kept in Russia. I also remember them being highly concerned about the T-80 for which there wasn't even a decent picture.

That got said a lot about Soviet autoloaders, since I remember reading it in a short book about Coalition vs. Iraqi equipment and forces printed in the run up to Desert Storm. That book claimed the T-72's autoloader was bad ans was that of the BMP-1.

As is now known, the T-64 and T-72 have autoloaders that work quite well. The BMP-1's autoloader is problematic, but it is different than that of the tanks and to draw conclusions for tanks based it was a serious error.

Well, it was failure only initially. Most transmission and suspension problems was solved to B version, and deadly autoloader was an urban legend(only somewhat dangerous autoloader was in BMP-1, and even in was far from deadly). Initial version was a disaster. A version was a compromise between some poor reliability and fighting capabilities. B version... Well, it was feared absolutely fairly.

I remember those comments too but was never terribly convinced by them. IIRC, Jane's didn't set much store by those rumors. OTOH, we didn't realize how many gun tube launced missiles we'd have been eating either...

I also remember the T80 scare. It was almost hillarious when the real T80 showed up as not quite the super tank it was made out to be.