Centurion Turrets And Armor...

Wiedzmin

No Idea. Im thinking that photo there probably is the 67 war, because after that any meteor powered Centurions they seem to have left  the mount but removed the dischargers from them. Then on the reengined one, they removed even the mounts.

I can only assume its for the same reason the Germans removed the grenade launchers from the Tiger, that it was vulnerable to enemy fire. But ive not seen anything that gives a solid reason.

october-1973-an-israeli-centurion-tank-p

Edited by Stuart Galbraith

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I understand the risk, but removing the function that can prevent the hit in the first place versus reducing post-hit secondary effects seems a little odd. I suppose it depends rather a lot on how likely the fire was to be caused by impacts that were not otherwise significant risks to the tank versus the risk reduction of having the smoke discharger available.

Ultimately the solution is to use a different type of smoke grenade.

Israelis preferred Soviet style exhaust smoke by diesel injection. It seems that SGDs were removed when Cents were re-engined enabling them to use exhaust smoke..

• 5 months later...

The Mk1 when you get down to it, pretty much was a prototype, same as the Mk1 Chieftain. I get the impression it was kinda like what the USSR did, where they put weapons into production without necessarily working all the kinks out first, and make the mk2 or Mk3 the definative version.

All the Mk1's were subsequently taken out of service and converted into vehicle tugs. They made no attempt to convert them to Mk2's or Mk3's.

So yes, this would not greatly surprise me, on top of the mechanical issues it had. I cant confirm it either way however, but there was apparently a lot of non standard mechanical features in those early ones.

22 hours ago, Wiedzmin said:

AFAIK only P1 prototype has 57mm hull front

http://overlord-wot.blogspot.com/2021/06/centuion.html

but this author claim that Mk.1 also has same armor

It could be. I think in the past, and doubly so during war time, that there was a much higher tolerance of non-standard parts and assembly than today.

The trouble I have with David's work is I think his enthusiasm gets the best of his judgement, and that seems to lead to him making some really questionable statements. Although to his credit he has more recently backed off some of his overreach, which without that I certainly wouldn't have had any idea wasn't supported by the evidence. But it's still worrying.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

At the end of Stefan's interview is a link to one with this guy from the  Marines named Kenneth Estes.  Apparently, he's some sort of author too.

1 hour ago, R011 said:

At the end of Stefan's interview is a link to one with this guy from the  Marines named Kenneth Estes.  Apparently, he's some sort of author too.

I have heard of him. Even met him several times. Could confirm he has wrote some books, and I even have read them. I could not say those books are bad, really.

I am currently trying to convince my wife that we should take vacation in Egypt this or next year (she wants Paris).  Sadly, she knows that it's primarily because I found out that both Cairo and Jordan have Centurion Mk.1's in museums. . .