The Information Warfare Thread

BansheeOne

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

German paper FAZ paints Snowdon as a russian spy. having had contact to russian agents when he had traveled to Geneva in Switzerland in 2007. Unimaginable that someone might be fed up with the NSA on his own. And Snowdon has not published anything about russian or chinese activities so far. Yeah, totally surprising he does not show the dirty deeds of his host. :rolleyes:

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/fluechtlingskrise/putin-manipuliert-gezielte-medienkampagne-gegen-deutschland-14117555.html

rest of the article is about russian media campaigns against Germany.

Edited by Panzermann

I meant somebody => he.

in finnish and in estonian language there is no gender. iirc nor in hungarian. i have to constantly remind me to switch the he/she and yet often mix it up

old linguistic joke - there is no Sex and no Future (tense) in fennougric languages

Edited by bd1

• 1 month later...

Norwegian site www.aldrimer.no has started publishing stories about Russian operations in Estonia.

Some claims are quite extraordinary like "Russian special forces are operating inside Estonia" with description of attempted shoot-down of Russian UAVs over airbase; "Russian diplomats catalogue bridges in Estonia".

Site claims to have sources (plural) that have leaked material to them.

As any good story some parts might be true, but stories seem to be purposefully inflated to create FUD.

In addition to the stories on the website there is also some videos posted by them:

While entertaining and I really cant verify the events that they describe. But what I can say is they seems to have failed some basic fact checking.

For example the "russian village of Sindi" they describe is actually a town of about 4000 people of which russians are less than 15%.

In the original story (which has now been changed) they mentioned 50 pro-Russians recruited from that village/town, which like really unlikely and now has been changed to Pärnu.

Im not sure why they would need to manually survey bridges. You can go on google earth and get first rate imagery of pretty much all of Estonia just from your laptop.

You kind of wonder if some of these stories are false flag efforts. IE put up a story that looks appealing with huge flaws, and when the time comes pull the rug out of them and use them to 'demonstrate' Western efforts at disinformation.

Or maybe im just unusually cynical today. :)

You might want to have an idea of weight limits for bridges on minor roads, but apart from that, the story doesn't sound right.

I meant somebody => he.

in finnish and in estonian language there is no gender. iirc nor in hungarian. i have to constantly remind me to switch the he/she and yet often mix it up

old linguistic joke - there is no Sex and no Future (tense) in fennougric languages

Or in Japanese.

The closest to gender is 彼 (kare) and 彼女 (kanojo) but depending on use. Certainly used far less than "he" and "she" are used in English but can if needed to be explicit for Japanese standards. They are often used as BF and GF. 私の彼女 (watashi no kanojo) "My girlfriend".

And yeah, in regular situations, the same present tense form is used for future tense situations. But there is a word used together with a verb to explicitly indicate future and that is used not so rarely. That is つもり (tsumori), attached to the non-polite present tense form. Desu/deshita, da/datta, etc is attached after tsumori.

行くつもり (ikutsumori) going to go

勉強するつもり(benkyousurutsumori) going to study

参加するつもり(sankasurutsumori) going to participate

食べるつもり (taberutsumori) going to eat

Since it is more explicit, it probably better to think of it like "plan on [verb-Ing]". Of course if "plan" is going to be translated to Japanese, then the often dictionary translations for it are also there, 計画 (keikaku) or 予定 (yotei).

Another possible future tense creation is しよう (shiyou) which is often used as (let's [verb]) and sometimes in a way that would mean something like [i'm thinking of verb-ing]. Of course, unlike tsumori which is simply attached to the non polite present form of a verb, shiyou conjugates with the verb, so it changes form, depending on the verb and level of politeness.

行こう (ikou) let's go

勉強しよう (benkyoushiyou) let's study

参加しよう (sankashiyou) let's participate

食べよう (tabeyou) let's eat

While Korean shares many similar grammar features with Japanese, such as the two number systems, word order, particle use, etc, Korean does have a regular future tense form for verbs which conjugates unlike tsumori. That is -(으)ㄹ 생각이다 or -(eu)l senggagida. When translated into Japanese, it seems to often translate into tsumori even though I'm pretty sure this Korean future tense conjugation is used more normally then tsumori is used in Japanese, thus it may be better to translate to just the regular present of the verb instead.

• 1 month later...

This is perhaps tangential to the information warfare thread, but related to it. Some good views, not least in the way the Russian Government uses propagana to signal the idea there is no truth, the popularity of RT even the relation of ex Communist morality and its relationship with the regime. IE, there is nothing wrong as long as its in the states interest. The effect this has on propaganda is evident. As I say, worth listening to, though it is a bit wide ranging. Very thought provoking I thought.

And in the vein of the regret that Tom Clancy died too early which has been voiced so often on TankNet lately, a Russian carricature on German Foreign Minister Steinmeier's recent stupid phrases about "sabre rattling and war cries" and "tank parades on the alliance's eastern border". Note Eisensteinian crusader helmet. :D

CldzJepXIAAfTFZ.jpg

And in the vein of the regret that Tom Clancy died too early which has been voiced so often on TankNet lately, a Russian carricature on German Foreign Minister Steinmeier's recent stupid phrases about "sabre rattling and war cries" and "tank parades on the alliance's eastern border". Note Eisensteinian crusader helmet. :D

CldzJepXIAAfTFZ.jpg

That would have brought a tear to Toms eye. :D

Whats next, Edogan as Captain of the Battleship Potemkin?

Ah okay. I had thought they paint their posts in white-blue-red.

Red green looks like Belorussia.

Confusing.

Thanks. Learned something.

• 3 weeks later...

Thankfully governments attempts to manipulate will be subject to the same ineptness that pervades much of the government.

Those videos really highlight the need to cross check things. I still think CCP is worse by a lot though.

CCP has tight control of what is said or not in PR china. Even the internet. Of course they can then easily insert their messages and propagate them without much of a counter from anyone. Any opposing voice is jailed or dunno, sent into the Gobi I presume?

For us the advantage with the propaganda by the USA is that insiders talk surprisingly freely about what they do or have done after they became pensioners.

Well Goebbels was also surprisingly open about his methods.