Astronomical Stargazer Thread

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 11/19/2020 at 2:48 AM, DB said:

Are the stacking apps using super-resolution techniques? I first read about those when looking at papers from NASA where different orbiting imager data was being composited. Coincidentally, this was Mars imagery.

Must have been mid 90s.

The term "super-resoltion techniques" is not one I'm too familiar with but my understanding is that it includes a whole bunch of different techniques. 

Stacking increases the signal to noise ratio... it doesn't change the pixel count but you do get a clearer picture.  The term "stacking" actually dates back over 100 years when images were captured using photographic glass plates.  They would literally stack the glass plates on top of each other to improve the image.

Another technique that I sometimes use is drizzling the data.  I use it mostly on images taken with the little 70mm refractor to recover.  The combination to pixel size and the short focal lengths leads to under-sampled data.  Drizzling the data combined with dithering the scope between captures recovers lost detail.  Both drizzle and dither were developed by NASA for hubble.  If I image with my 8" SCT, I'm actually over sampled a little bit so there is nothing to be gained from drizzle.

During post processing, I will usually use deconvolution which helps undo some of the distortions caused by the atmosphere. 

With the planetary imaging I do.. I'm stacking frames from a video and I did use drizzle.

It's fun stuff.  I find astrophotography to be nice blend of science, technology and art.  The perfect hobby for me :)

Thanks for the compliments guys.  We've had an amazing string of clear nights.  Here's another I finished recently.  This is the soul nebula.  This is a false color image using the Hubble palette.  Taken with my 70mm refractor.

C66nTKs3i_5I_1824x0_O3Qyqi6r.jpg

Edited by JamesR
10 hours ago, JamesR said:

Thanks for the compliments guys.  We've had an amazing string of clear nights.  Here's another I finished recently.  This is the soul nebula.  This is a false color image using the Hubble palette.  Taken with my 70mm refractor.

C66nTKs3i_5I_1824x0_O3Qyqi6r.jpg

Again, I'm amazed at the quality of pictures available to amateur astrophotographers. The colors and 3d-esque nature would give the finest research telescopes a run for their money just 10 or 20 years ago.