tanknet.org

Astronomical Stargazer Thread

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is NGC 7331, a spiral galaxy that is ~40 million light years from us. The group of galaxies above it are ~300 to 350 million light years from us. If you look close you can see several other smaller/further galaxies in this picture.

I used my 8" telescope for this one. Total exposure time is 15 hours.

g5rV0Fx_Xgnp_1824x0_sWXLOnwG.jpg

On 9/22/2020 at 3:51 AM, JamesR said:

That's the visual firepower the Marines have been screaming for in the last decades, from their wheeled deathtraps.

On 9/22/2020 at 9:51 AM, JamesR said:

This is NGC 7331, a spiral galaxy that is ~40 million light years from us. The group of galaxies above it are ~300 to 350 million light years from us. If you look close you can see several other smaller/further galaxies in this picture.

g5rV0Fx_Xgnp_1824x0_sWXLOnwG.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous.

Here's another galaxy, this time its a lot closer at "just" 2.5 million light years.  Andromeda is actually on a collision coarse with the milky way.. although its going to be a few billion years before that happens.

For this one I used my 70mm refractor and had to make a 2 panel mosaic because it wouldnt fit nicely in my camera's field of view with this scope.

alMij2Vh4akf_1824x0_sWXLOnwG.jpg

Edited by JamesR
On 9/29/2020 at 2:15 PM, JamesR said:

Here's another galaxy, this time its a lot closer at "just" 2.5 million light years.  Andromeda is actually on a collision coarse with the milky way.. although its going to be a few billion years before that happens.

For this one I used my 70mm refractor and had to make a 2 panel mosaic because it wouldnt fit nicely in my camera's field of view with this scope.

I'll be shooting Andromeda around next year thanks to quarantine, cloudy/rainy night skies, and lack of funds. 😅

Gorgeous gorgeous shot.

On 9/29/2020 at 2:15 AM, JamesR said:

Nicely centered!

• 2 weeks later...

Mars was in opposition last night.. basically it means that its pretty close to Earth and its a good time to look at or image Mars.

I put together a short video showing the 3 video recordings I made through my telescope and the final stacked image.

Edited by JamesR

It's really amazing that blurred pixelated junk can be turned into such great results by the power of stochastics, ultimately.

14 hours ago, Ssnake said:

It's really amazing that blurred pixelated junk can be turned into such great results by the power of stochastics, ultimately.

4 hours ago, Jeff said:

A half way decent amateur telescope and a couple of freeware programs can do work even the largest scopes couldn't not that long ago. Amazing.

I was pretty surprised myself it came out as well as it did.  The seeing conditions were not great.   I was capturing at ~125fps, each fame .0047". 

Each video was 45" long and totaled ~6000 frames.  I had sped up the playback in the video to 1.75x to keep the total length of the video under 2 mins.

22 hours ago, JamesR said:

Mars was in opposition last night.. basically it means that its pretty close to Earth and its a good time to look at or image Mars.

I put together a short video showing the 3 video recordings I made through my telescope and the final stacked image.

HOLY...! That's great!

BTW, the CEM25P is no longer in production. Apparently iOptron is rolling out a newer model, supposedly with heavier capacity. All online astro shops are out of the CEM25P right now so I lucked out. But I'm hoping the newer model isn't too expensive. That said, the mount is earmarked for 2021 acquisition. I'll just get a better tripod for my SkyGuider Pro since the Benro I'm using isn't really that good for these applications.

Edited by Corinthian
13 minutes ago, Corinthian said:

HOLY...! That's great!

BTW, the CEM25P is no longer in production. Apparently iOptron is rolling out a newer model, supposedly with heavier capacity. All online astro shops are out of the CEM25P right now so I lucked out. But I'm hoping the newer model isn't too expensive. That said, the mount is earmarked for 2021 acquisition. I'll just get a better tripod for my SkyGuider Pro since the Benro I'm using isn't really that good for these applications.

That's interesting.. but not surprising.  Ioptron came out with the CEM40 not long ago, and then recently replaced the CEM60 with the CEM70.  I am a little surprised the successor isn't known yet.  Probably going to be called a CEM30, lol.

• 5 weeks later...

Been a while since I shared anything.  Here's a few recent images.

The Cave nebula:

0ac_8Q-9Njxj_1824x0_O3Qyqi6r.jpg

The bubble and lobster claw:

9xzRnvvJnlcy_1824x0_SH1tglsS.jpg

M45 (aka the Pleiades/Seven Sisters/Subaru):

pv6os2GuS65W_1824x0_O3Qyqi6r.jpg

M33, aka the Triangulum Galaxy:

uGGJeZuorcuA_1824x0_O3Qyqi6r.jpg

All these shots were taken with my 70mm refractor.  I've swapped out that scope for my 8 inch SCT so the next few shots will be zoomed in a bit. 

The next time you are in geosynchronous orbit, can you train your scope Earthwards? I dropped a pair of pricy sunglasses when I was hiking in one of the local parks...

On 10/15/2020 at 1:06 AM, JamesR said:

That's awesome!

Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune are all in the sky through part of the night right now. Great time for looking at the outer planets. 

Are the stacking apps using super-resolution techniques? I first read about those when looking at papers from NASA where different orbiting imager data was being composited. Coincidentally, this was Mars imagery.

Must have been mid 90s.