Rude Ships

As you may have noticed, USSR DDs and DE cruisers will come into game soon - you may have met them already.

Generally speaking, USSR DDs are more like light cruisers (definitely once the Italians come into play) - fast, big, with main focus on guns. Not sure I like them, though for good players they offer some advantages... However they are also quite easy to hit as they are kinda sluggish.

DE cruisers have mostly nice flat trajectory guns, so they hit quite a lot, but them Germans should have built them with somewhat stronger armor. I mean citadels are nicely hidden, but still the ships are quite squishy. Though fast turrets in most cases can balance it out... Solid ships I would say, but sore disappointment for Wehraboos :)

I am liking my Japanese premium BB, plays a bit like a cruiser, fairly fast, turns well and hits hard

Which one? The Iz-somethingsomething-chi Tier II BB?

I am so excited for the Soviet DDs. ^_^

Edited by Corinthian

yes http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/premium-shop-ishizuchi/

Marek your teams need to proof read, she has 2 more turrets than the Mygoi, not just two more guns..... :)

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:PJSB008_Ishizuchi_1921

Edited by Colin

Woah woah no Japanese here, this is a topic about the RU/DE ships that are coming in a week and a bit :P

Anyway since I participate in Test Drive, was able to try out Kiev yesterday in Ranked battles... Was interesting. Initially tried to play it like a US DD, but it is bigger, so gets spotted easier... And hit easier. Plus 4 km torp range is really, really awful. However the guns are great and it even has the twin 85mm AA acting as secondaries - the thing eats enemy DDs for lunch, but suffers the minute a cruiser or a BB can pay it an undivided attention for few salvos as the relatively sluggish rudder makes dodging harder.

High speed with boost on the other hand allows successful ambushes of corner hugging cruisers and BBs.

Was there really a need for so many paper designs?

Ha! Wait until they introduce fluvial aircraft carriers. Then the US, JP and UK trees will have to use paper designs too! :P

Edited by sunday

Not really, not fitting at all both its counterparts and both its role. Would be like sticking Atlanta as top tier DD ;) Even worse, as after all Scharnhorst was called battlecruiser only by Brits and they wanted to call KGV the same initially before they found that the rest of the world uses "fast battleship" ;)

Plus than you would need paper stuff for battleships tree. It would be far better prograssion from Twins (with 38cm) to Bismarck style thingies. Having as top tier cruiser something with 28cm guns and battleship grade armor would simply not float, both from the balance view and from the logical progression.

Yeah, up to a poiny but tier X should show some national character and the Germans were all for survivability at the orice of firepower.

Not the cruisers... Well not the battleships either, depends how you define survivability ;) I mean Bissy took long to sink, but not that long to be just a floating wreck ;) And by putting Scharnhorst as Tier X cruiser you would be giving survivability AND firepower ;)

But in any case Hipster class had pretty shockingly weak protection, 80mm belt and a 30mm sloped armored deck would help at short range, but they are again vulnerable to plunging fire (same as Tirpitz), but compared to contemporary cruisers this was just a bit too little. Jumping from 8cm belt to 36cm would be a bit too unbalanced and would also break the trend of ship handling.

Hmm, I remain unconvinced, for example, Emden (1925) could be a tier V cruiser and be contemporaneous to Omaha (1920) and Furutaka (1925) moving Königsberg up one tier and Nürnberg replaced with Kreuzer M of the Z plan, and doing away with Yorck, I imagine Roon or Hindenburg are the Kreuzer P, which should be a tier X and tier IX occupied by an improved Hipper.

Conversely, you keep Nürnberg and include the 12x15cm improved Hippers.

Doesn't seem to reduce the amount of paper stuff much ;) And the thingies are pretty well researched - the Roon is actually quite interesting, clearly mixing the influences from the raider-styled ships (Panzerschiffe and Twins) with the 15cm secondaries and triple (albeit smaller) turrets, Hindenburg is a re-run with the same basic idea but getting rid of the 15cm baggage.

Starting on the 13th you have a chance unlock a Tier V Russian DD or German Cruiser for your account. You have to kill 4 ships in one game with a Japanese tier 4 or higher to get the German ship and 4 ships in a US ship tier 4 or higher to the Russian. http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/sea-trials-ru-de/

You will not be able to sell the test ships during the event.
The event ships will earn Credit and XP income like any other vessel.
A Port slot and a Commander with three skill points are included with each ship.
All modules on both ships will have a cost of one XP and one Credit.
Both test ships will be removed from your account once the event is over.
As a bonus, all XP gained on each of the test ships will be transferred to the tier I ship on its respective tech tree. The Crew XP earned by each test ship Commander will be transferred to the respective Commander of each tier I ship on the new tech tree.