Australian Reconnaissance Vehicle Replacement Competitors.

I guess it's whether the Mk44 has the hardware fitted to program the ammunition as its fired.

They must have fitted this kind of hardware to at least one gun as I can't see how they would be able to qualify their ABM round for the Mk44 without it.

Depends on the definition they were using of "qualified". I've seen air burst 40mm HV ammunition fired from a Mk19 with none of the associated hardware or software called "qualified". Technically, as the round was fired, and detonated on impact, it "qualified", even though it did not have its air burst functionality enabled.
Could be they only verified if it is safe to fire the loading.

Adding the muzzle device shouldn t pose much of a problem, but there is no one at the moment planning to use this combination. Why waste time and money on certification that Rheinmetall would have to pay itself instead of some hypothetical customer.

Edited by Panzermann
  • Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Seems to be there to support the equipment box, what is that for? It's another example of giving AFV's a big butt such as the Ajax, which seems to be a current trend.

A minor question that has bugged me for years, what is the point of the white cross all German AFV's have on there rears?

Regards.

Seems to be there to support the equipment box, what is that for? It's another example of giving AFV's a big butt such as the Ajax, which seems to be a current trend.

Soldiers turn their vehicles into gypsie wagons anyway with sometimes very outrageous contraptions to.hold equipment. Better give them a space for their stuff.

A minor question that has bugged me for years, what is the point of the white cross all German AFV's have on there rears?

Regards.

Convoy light. Never seen the X rather than the cross, though.

To further elaborate, the cross has a small light source installed that shows the following vehicle where the vehicle in front is driving when all lights are off in the dark.

Odd that they put an X instead of the regular +.

Edited by Panzermann

Does anyone feel that these systems are getting too high tech to be a nightmare of field maintenance or are these systems just that reliable? It seems that simplicity was left many years ago in favor of complex equipment with lots of bells, whistles and other assorted gadgets.

Does anyone feel that these systems are getting too high tech to be a nightmare of field maintenance or are these systems just that reliable? It seems that simplicity was left many years ago in favor of complex equipment with lots of bells, whistles and other assorted gadgets.

It probably depends on the specific piece of equipment in question as to whether or not it improves effectiveness greatly or is a gimmick.

Also it might be interesting to know what high tech devices are being put into the box of things that take away from your idea of simplicity. I think that if leaving on only effective equipment of a modern day MBT, it'll still remain a complex machine. But I'm not really a tank expert so I probably shouldn't be replying anyway.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some more details on the Elbit 'Sentinel II'.

The ride height is adjustable by 200mm, allowing wheel replacement without the use of jacks (lower, lock off wheel station requiring changes, raise, unbolt).

Gun elevation is 65 degrees. Turret protection up to 'Level 6'.

Turret has CIV, twin ATGM, & APS.

Turret protection up to 'Level 6'.

Unfortunately the video has been removed from YouTube, but in an interview at the reveal of the Sentinel II, the vehicle had only a protection of STANAG level 4. When asked to further clarify this, the guy presenting the Sentinel II said something like "if we play around with the turret and basket, we can go up to level 6 armor" (that's not a literal quote). My interpretation of this was, that he implied removing the turret or replacing it with a lighter RWS would allow the vehicle to reach STANAG level 6 protection on the hull.

Turret looks to be unmanned.

"One of the unique features of the turret is that it can be used in either manned or unmanned configurations. The crew basket which accommodates the commander and the gunner can be removed and a blanking plate inserted, opening up the troop compartment for up to another six troops (making a total of 10) and maintaining all the capabilities of the manned configuration."

But the decision is made at factory level.
Of course. Cannot change your chocolate ice into vanilla when you hold it in your hand either. ;)

The Lance turret is a set of building blocks that can be put together to the customer's wishes. Lego for militaries.

mmmm ice...

Edited by Panzermann