tanknet.org

0.4.1 Introducing Ranked Battles

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably the most significant changes in the patch weren't even in the notes. Rudder shift time was cut back rather drastically and seemingly across the board. Huge nerf, when coupled with the loadout changes, to carriers.

Probably the most significant changes in the patch weren't even in the notes. Rudder shift time was cut back rather drastically and seemingly across the board. Huge nerf, when coupled with the loadout changes, to carriers.

That should hurt destroyers more, I think. Was enough difficult to hit with Shimakaze at extreme range already, but now...

That should hurt destroyers more, I think. Was enough difficult to hit with Shimakaze at extreme range already, but now...

It'll hurt them, too, like that video author was ranting about but if you have just 1 TB flight (USN til... tier 8? and I think the IJN as well for a few tiers) it's damn near impossible to hit a ship fast rudder shift times that's paying attention to you.

I'm really surprised they did this again because when the USN BBs came out they did something similar to a lot of ships and it was painfully obvious it made them nigh invulnerable to TBs (this was also back when we didn't have full TB/DB loadouts). They quickly reverted a lot of the changes shortly thereafter.

Hopefully this is just a "hey, we're still in beta and want to mess around a bit to see" rather than a hard balancing move they expect to stick. The trouble is when you effectively release a game like this even though it's supposedly in 'beta' still folks get a little pissy with what are straight up nerfs to their class and DD players have a point - their class is already borderline useless as is.

Turns out that it's a port UI display fix. The shift times were applied in a previous patch.

Just to comment on the rudder shift changes:

Yes, the numbers will change with 0.4.1 deployment. However, this is not a nerf to DDs and your ships will actually not turn faster. This is just a bug fix for the port UI, as in the current patch the values for rudder shift are not calculated correctly.

source http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/26589-full-list-of-041-ship-changes-from-pts-including-undocumented-changes/page__st__100__pid__466402&do=findComment&comment=466402

2nd round of PT started. Some more RB tests, plus testing Yubari and Sims changes.

Have to say the slowpoke longer ranged torps on Sims will probably be my weapon of choice. They add an option and at close range their speed is not that detrimental - so you can disrupt enemies from a bit afar (blocking straits and so on).

As for RB, so far at 82%, rank 21. Found that I am playing more aggressively and more likely to take one for the team - victory is pretty important here, so my survival rate so far is abysmal. On the other hand it is more fun than randoms.

EDIT: Carriers started to appear there, however not much effect as there is a lot of cruisers and on VI/VIII all already have the barrage.

EDIT: Pepsicola and Myoko rule, US DDs seem to be more useful than IJN so far.

Edited by Marek Tucan

49 knots. I think the range is 8 kilometers.

They are slow, so just think of them as mobile mines... Or, if you do not want the option, just go with the original short range fast ones.

Since I was RBing almost exclusively, did not have time to check the usefulness of the barrage consumable for US DDs, but for randoms it will be a viable option I think. I do not use the speed boost as often as smoke and this would give me something else to do in the mid game when there are no distracted enemies nearby.

Finally jumped into the new test server and the first things that jumped out at me are old issues that still haven't been addressed.

- Having XP needed to retrain a captain tied to how many skill points he has is bad. With all the bonus XP my Ryujo captain has 15 points. Using the credit option it would take me over 50 games to train him on his new ship at my average of about 1k XP/game taken from my stats page. That's ridiculous and just screams greedy money-grab.

- Secondaries are already worthless when they're working but HE shreds them away too easily. I have no idea why they're disabled permanently when hit. In fact, why is anything disabled permanently (main turrets are particularly annoying and so rare that it's more frustrating when it does happen)?

Also, isn't it a given that if you have to limit carriers by # per battle and by same # and tier per side that maybe there's something fundamentally wrong with the class? I'm starting to agree with Harold (I think it was him) who suggested they just ditch carriers since they're clearly not working atm. There's been a lot of vitriol over on wotlabs lately from folks getting to high tiers and dealing with USN TB-heavy loads. Puts me in no hurry to leave mid-tiers.

Edited by Skywalkre

If you moved an 18-point captain (which I think is effectively the max you can get) you need 2.5 million XP to retrain him via credits. At 1k XP per battle that's... 2500. :blink: :glare:

At this point I'm hoping they just haven't looked at this area, some intern threw in some numbers a while ago, and it's on their 'to-do' list before this game goes 'live'...

Edit: This is actually pissing me off the more I think about it. You can now make a legitimate argument that WoWs is not a F2P game. If something as basic as moving a captain around can only be accomplished by using gold (money for most folks) then how is it F2P?

I don't understand why they're throwing away a system they had in WoT that actually worked.

Edited by Skywalkre

Spent most of the day on the test server. Tried to test out carriers but after one 27 minute wait I gave up on that. Ended up going back to BBs and hoping there was a secret buff to secondaries to make them viable. Tried everything I could think of to get in close to where I could put them to good effect. Never did work out. There's pretty much zero reason to ever equip an upgrade related to secondaries (captain skills are worth it for the AA buffs, though).

Speaking of AA, the Izumo has an impressive loadout! Was in a battle with tier 8 IJN CVs and twice the flight that was attacking me was killed before they could drop their ordnance (this is with zero AA upgrades and captain skills... this was my first game with the captain on this ship). I think I ended the game with 21 kills.

Looks like it will be live tomorrow morning, full patch notes here http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/update-041-notes-downtime/

some stuff that leapt out

For Japanese ships, Reduced the national bonus related to the probability of setting fire for all shells (except 200 mm and 203 mm caliber shells).

For all ships, increased gun accuracy at close quarters (i.e. at distances of 0.2 km to 4 km), which results in a minor increase to accuracy of fire at medium and long-range distances

Implemented an automatic system for handling reports regarding chat misbehavior, capable of issuing chat bans to players
In the Port display, a ship's characteristics now take into account the equipment mounted on the ship
Added a change that will substantially simplify aiming at a ship moving over the border of the map

I think those are still only available to a few testers. The biggest problem with them were that they were far and above the highest percentage team killers in the game. Those floods of long range torps were perfect for it.

Devs were quoted as stating it was more dangerous to teammates than to the enemy team and was removed.

Yep. It was rare the game with a Kitakami that finished with no team kills for that cruiser.

Hey! I never TKed anyone in Kita! But the 40-odd torpedo broadside was quite hard to use - often you had to launch the entire volley to score one/two hits if you were launching at max range (IOW if you wanted to survive). It is generally a not really new user-friendly ship so we are still thinking about what to do with her. Sadly mi suggestion to give her guided torpedoes and distribute only to me did not meet with approval :( ;)

Making the triple-to-quintuple torpedo tubes spreads narrower could also helps. Kinda frustrating when a BB could slip lengthwise between Shimakaze torpedoes at extreme ranges. Even with interleaved spreads!

Edited by sunday
  • 1 month later...