0.4.1 Introducing Ranked Battles

At least on Public Test, no guarantee it goes live. Patch notes http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/developer-bulletin-041/

Info for accessing public test http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/041-public-test/

Ranked Battles: Earn Your Stars
If you're looking for opportunities to test yourself against the best of the best, then this new feature is for you!

Ranked Battles is a season-long event available to all players with tier VI-VII ships and level nine accounts. All you need to do is pick an appropriate ship, select Ranked Battles, and join the queue. Ranked Battles are slightly different from their Standard Battle counterparts: each team will have no more than seven players, and the maximum number of aircraft carriers and battleships are limited to one and two respectively.

In addition to XP and Credits, Ranked Battle participants will earn stars for every victory. When you earn enough stars, you move to the next rank.

All ranks are divided into three groups. The first group is intended for beginners who are just starting out, so you won't lose stars for a loss in this group.

In groups two and three, it's possible to lose stars and drop down a rank. It's in these groups that we anticipate the most dynamic competition. Only the best will make it to the very top!

You'll only get into battles within your group, though you may see a spread of ranks within that group. When you achieve certain ranks, you're awarded in-game resources. In the future, the development team is planning to introduce some unique awards for Ranked Battles.

Also adding a couple maps and some tweaks to fighters, BB accuracy and CVs and the match maker.

Edited by Harold Jones

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This ranked battle thing will only work if their balance changes make cruisers worthwhile. Right now the only one in tier 6 and 7 that is decent is the Cleveland. I can already see frustration coming from folks sitting in their BBs and CVs waiting to get into these battles.

Glad to hear they realize carrier play is trash. Unfortunately I don't have high hopes as what they're left to work around, the current implementation, is just garbage. They really should have scrapped this system and delayed OB launch til something else was working.

Just read that they're addressing the sillyness of mid-high tier USN DDs that lost main guns for AA (which left me, back in CB, just ignoring the hull upgrades on some despite the hp boost they offered). Now USN DDs at those ranges can pick the hulls we've been used to and also get the defensive AA ability (honestly don't see this being used since their AA is still fairly weak) or they'll have an alternate hull to what we have now which keeps the main guns and gives the player engine boost. I see the latter being the one taken (unless we're talking about special comps in tournies down the road) but it's nice to have choice, at least.

Also, it appears the 'buff' to the Omaha is only for the final hull (which most folks ignore) and gives it increased range to match ships like the Murmansk and such. A good move on their part. You'll have the choice between more torps and main guns (the latter with shorter range) or fewer main guns (with longer range), fewer torps, and more AA. Might make the final hull worth taking now.

Edited by Skywalkre

It is, but in this case it didn't fit with how the game works. High tier USN DDs were already weak. Coupling hp pool increases to historical hulls which served a purpose that doesn't fit in the game just made them even weaker.

Sounds like it'll be like the last test where everyone has to start at tier 1 again? Even if accelerated I question how useful that is. Makes it a chore to get back up to where you are in the live game and very few, if any, get to high tiers.

Re. Omaha, I do not know why would anyone ignore to p hull even now, given that everyone complains about carriers - you lose useless torpedoes and one gun in broadside for considerable AA boost...Similar to US DDs, I have fairly good experiences with running the top hulls. One gun (usually with restricted gun arc) vs. being able to do away with scouts or with IJN strikes? The barrage would add options, especially for more organized play.

As for Cruisers, they will be (at least based on my experience from earlier test) THE heavy units of Ranked Battles. With the small teams, speed will be more important - and ability to switch. Even fast battleships take agest to turn around.

As for the public test, top tiers are not focus of the test. If you really need one, you can still get to them but you will have to pass through at least some tiers along the way. From what usually happens in WoT PT, this seems to be more useful to actually testing something.

I've come to a greater appreciation of DD AA I still leave it off most of the time but it does help when a carrier parks a fighter in spotting range. Also you can sometimes disrupt a close in top attack. One thing I'm not sure of and maybe I missed it but are divisions allowed in ranked play?

Re. Omaha, I do not know why would anyone ignore to p hull even now, given that everyone complains about carriers - you lose useless torpedoes and one gun in broadside for considerable AA boost...Similar to US DDs, I have fairly good experiences with running the top hulls. One gun (usually with restricted gun arc) vs. being able to do away with scouts or with IJN strikes? The barrage would add options, especially for more organized play.

You stay with the B hull on the Omaha because that ships is all about its guns. Taking some away leaves you whatever % lower in damage capability depending on how you're angled towards your target. You gain nothing, in the current version of the game, from doing that. The AA is meaningless because carriers aren't a threat to you and you really only use your AA situationally to protect allies.

This is a good move on their part because at least now there's a real choice. Gain range and make yourself either immune or more safe from enemy ships or stay a bit closer but with more guns to throw shells downrange.

People are claiming the test server is up but I can't get into it. It keeps giving me an error message saying my pw is incorrect even though it's not.

Edit: It's definitely up. Folks are posting comments from games over on the WoWs subreddit. It's still giving me the incorrect pw error even though I'm putting in the right one. :glare:

Edited by Skywalkre

Just had a funny case with one of our STers, so better putting it here as a warning: You need to create acc on pt.worldofwarships.ru, not www.worldofwarships.ru - he now has several RU server accounts ;)

Anyway, initial RB thoughts...

Due to smaller team size, individual contribution has more weight - for good or bad. Main ships will be I guess cruisers and DDs, as battleships are too slow and carriers have not enough slow targets (at least at VI-VII). I can see an odd BB useful as a backstop (take up central position, soak fire, kill cruisers) but main legwork needs to be done by fast ships. Terrain control is very important -due to fewer ships sinking them is not that important.

All in all, as long as you are above average getting out of basic levels should be pretty fast, but then the fight will get harder.

Did you create account for it? We did not copy database like in WoT, it is now separate account (to do away with all the issues with re-writing acc's etc.) - go to pt.worldofwarships.ru and set it up.

Wasn't aware of that, thanks. Went back and read the announcement on the NA site and set it up. Should know shortly if it's working.

They fixed CV MM which is good. Now they need to do the same to low tier BB MM.

Two games in the Kawachi (which, thankfully, is all I need on the PTR) and both games were... Ocean... with tier 6 being top tier.

Give me a break. I was nothing but target practice in both games. Just a waste of time.

The new fighter ability is bizarre and not intuitive at all. No idea what it does, if it's bugged, or just worthless...

Edit: To add for those who haven't seen it it shows up like a TB manual approach but MUCH larger, taking up almost the entire circle. I used it on an approaching enemy fighter group and it appears that your fighters then commence an all-guns-blazing strafing run down this lane without actually targeting the enemy fighters (that's not to say they don't hit them, but they fly right past if the enemy fighters are that close). What mine seemed to do was fly all the way through this path and then just circle at the end even though I told them to attack the enemy fighters. TBs will, for example, fly to a point if you give them a command while they're in a bombing run once that run is over. That didn't seem to happen with the fighters.

The first time I used it nothing happened at all.

It's just... not a very clear ability.

Edited by Skywalkre

Was focusing on RB yesterday, have the fighter ability on my "to do list" later, so cannot comment yet. From the description, i would guess not much use against single air groups, rather it would be useful as "assault breaker" against multiple bomber groups.

Good luck. Queue times were astronomical for carriers last night by the time I gave up. I left the queue at 12m and just now there's a screenshot on the WoWs subreddit of a guy in for 13m. Co-op was somewhat faster and right now seems the only realistic way to get into a carrier to test things out.

On the bright side they changed the TB manual drop graphic. Before it showed in green from where they dropped and you just had to have a lot of experience to know where they arm. Now it shows from where they arm.

So far 5/5 in Ranked battles, though I thought we'll lose the last one (due to shy Fuso playing sniper along the border line) - luckily our self-sacrifice held caps for long enough to get the necessary points lead.

Overall... Light forces are decisive. And battleships smart enough to hold central position (or smart enough to listen to my tactical advice ;))

I understand the rewards for achieving a rank will only be granted the first time. If not, i.e. granting rewards every time one achieves a rank, even after losing it, then could be have some abuse.

It's down already? I got in one gaming session on it and only made it to tier 5.

Maybe... crazy thought here... just putting it out there... put it up on the weekend next time so folks have a chance to play on it? :glare:

Edited by Skywalkre