Guess The Japanese Are Getting Serious

Calvinb1nav

Nope. Same length as Kaga, but lower tonnage. Shorter & lighter than Akagi, Zuikaku, Shokaku & Taiho, & much shorter & lighter than Shinano. Broader beam than almost all of that lot, but less draught.

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tora Tora!

I must admit, I take some delight in the thought of a Japanese Self Defence flattop destroyer with F35Bs sat on the deck. I really hope that happens. :)

All it takes is one USMC F-35B pilot getting "lost" and low on fuel and you'll have the photo-op that makes the heads of the Chinese gerontocracy explode.

Tora Tora!

I must admit, I take some delight in the thought of a Japanese Self Defence flattop destroyer with F35Bs sat on the deck. I really hope that happens. :)

All it takes is one USMC F-35B pilot getting "lost" and low on fuel and you'll have the photo-op that makes the heads of the Chinese gerontocracy explode.

Yep, something like the two F-18s making an emergency landing in Taiwan a few months back.

http://thediplomat.com/2015/04/us-marine-f-18s-land-at-taiwan-air-base-beijing-protests/

Although the F-35B would make for a bigger response.

• 1 month later...

12122549_897616753618793_815972800370290

Fantastic picture. It looks like the same kind of airshow event I have been to in Texas about 5 years ago. They had a Pearl Harbor reenactment and the F-22 flying when I went among other great showings. Such an excellent airshow.

• 2 weeks later...

Japan really needs to quit mucking about already, and just deploy a carrier with Kamikaze UAV's.

Ohka does kind of look like a cruise missile though. Destroyers got it covered :P

As for the carrier, Abe and defense minister is boarding the USS Ronald Reagan today, could be a sign.

I've been putting updates of the ATD-X in the stealth thread but will start putting them here instead and leave the stealth thread for generally pictures only. By doing so, ATD-X updates won't be separated from other Japanese military developments that can fit in this thread as oppose to getting separate little threads for each of them. Anyway..

The latest scheduled first flight test was supposed to be in September (after a series of delays totaling about 10 months) but apparently did not happen. On October 16th the Acquisition, Technology&Logistics Agency (防衛装備庁) stated that the first flight test will be scheduled to January 2016 due to engine improvement work. The spokesperson said "Generally, aircraft engines display their abilities better in low air temperatures."

http://www.huffingtonpost.jp/2015/10/16/stealth-fighter-shinshin_n_8310432.html

I am quite shocked that the Japanese don't already have something comparable to the Sniper Targeting pods already in service.

The Super X2 is still classified pending Kaiju attacks.

• 4 weeks later...

New anti-Kaiju anti-ship missile, XASM3. The XASM3 will replace ASM-1 and ASM-2. 900kg, has over 150km range, reported that top speed can reach mach 3 and flies near the ocean surface, planned to be used by F-2, and planned to enter service next year. Development started in 2010. It combines rocket and turbojet engines. Next year, a final test of it's destructive power will be against JS Shrane DDH (standard weight 5,200 tons) which retired this year in March and was replaced by the new Izumo DDH. Maybe we'll be lucky to see a video of that test. The test will occur in a wide area called "G airspace" which is located in the Sea of Japan, above and near Ishikawa and Fukui prefecture.

http://www.chunichi.co.jp/hokuriku/article/news/CK2015111202100006.html

New anti-Kaiju anti-ship missile, XASM3. The XASM3 will replace ASM-1 and ASM-2. 900kg, has over 150km range, reported that top speed can reach mach 3 and flies near the ocean surface, planned to be used by F-2, and planned to enter service next year. Development started in 2010. It combines rocket and turbojet engines.

http://www.chunichi.co.jp/hokuriku/article/news/C

Turbojet vice ramjet? Does it cruise at subsonic and then rocket to the target in terminal phase a la Klub?

I don't see why Communist China has a problem with the Japanese naming its carrier the Kaga considering that the all of the communist chinese were busy hiding their cowardly asses in the mountains while the Nationalists fought the Japanese.

I don't believe that's at all historically accurate.

I don't see why Communist China has a problem with the Japanese naming its carrier the Kaga considering that the all of the communist chinese were busy hiding their cowardly asses in the mountains while the Nationalists fought the Japanese.

Communist Party revisionist history has them fighting the Japanese.... Edited by 2805662

In the Battle of Shanghai, the Chinese National Army took over 285,000 casualties . The Chinese Communist Army took 0 casualties.

Using their own figures, the Communist forces had about 1/8th as many dead & 1/6th as many wounded as the KMT armies in fighting the Japanese. That might give some indication of the relative efforts.

Sounds like it. Hundreds of thousands of KMT troops fought alongside the British empire forces in Burma, for example, at the same time as others were trying to hold off the Japanese. The KMT fought Japan intermittently from around 1931, & full-on from 1937. They won some battles, though AFAIK only through superior numbers & with heavy losses,